Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Randal
Randal
Posted at

What have you done lately that just plain made you feel good inside? I don't mean donate a kidney or save a baby from a burning building. (but if you did, that would certainly count.) It could be as simple as being kind to the kid everyone ignores or picks on. I don't think this qualifies for the "Look what I did" forum, as this isn't about promoting comics.

Mine was two days prior to this post. I was perusing facebook and a fellow Ducker was hit with some bad news and felt down in the dumps. So I made yesterday's comic for them and showed it to them. Then they asked me to put a "Relay for Life" link up with it, because another Ducker they know is going through some similar drama. So I did.

Reaching out helped the first Ducker feel a little better… and the link I posted earned a little money toward a worthy cause for the second Ducker. Now I feel warm and fuzzy inside. They say when you feel down and out, worthless and depressed to help someone else. I have to admit… it seems to work. =)

I don't feel as crappy as I did last weekend. Thanks Riley and MM. Helping you helped me too.

Byth1
Byth1
Posted at

What have you done lately that just plain made you feel good inside?

Sorry, I don't really look back on good stuff I did. I wish I did do something tho.

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

Personally, I don't think doing good things should make you feel any different. It shouldn't be some special thing that makes you happy.

I mean, donating your kidneys is something extraordinary, but holding the door for someone should be human nature.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

I bought a girl dinner a week ago… does that count? It was a date so I guess not. She did give me a warm feeling though. :P

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Yesterday, I ate sausages, bacon, eggs, beans, tomatoes and mushrooms. I put a little dollop of tomato ketchup on the plate and right next to it, a little dollop of brown sauce.

I felt very good inside.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

Personally, I don't think doing good things should make you feel any different. It shouldn't be some special thing that makes you happy.

I mean, donating your kidneys is something extraordinary, but holding the door for someone should be human nature.

I'm not talking about holding doors. I'm talking about going that extra step most people don't go. These days it's easy to feel dehumanized (though I'm sure the rate experienced possibly depends on where you live. People in NYC or London are going to feel more detatched than someone in Kansas or Devon). It's one thing to pick up a book someone dropped, but I'm talking about going and spending time with folks in nursing homes or childrens hospitals, especially if it's as a volunteer and you don't know them. Registering to be a Big Brother or Big Sister. Going down to the Red Cross to donate blood. Sending money to disaster victims. Should everyone do that stuff anyway? Yes. Do they? Not nearly enough of them.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I'll stick with the bacon and sausage breakfast: doing good deeds and then telling everybody how good the deeds you've done were smells kind of fishy to me, and I never liked kippers much.

Posted at

doing good deeds and then telling everybody how good the deeds you've done were smells kind of fishy to me, and I never liked kippers much

Psh, if good gets done I'm not gonna hold it against the people who did it if they tell. There's a big difference between blatant self promotion and just honestly saying "Hey, helping someone out made me feel better".

If it bothers you THAT much, then why not post "Someone did something great for me, thank you kind person" instead? Yes, anonymous helping of others is the most high, but don't crap on the slightly lower, helped others and then told people. Sometimes people need to be lead by example.

Aaaaaaaaaand on that note…

My most recent "Did something nice" and doesn't include my busy Mother's Day would be that I gave a random couple a coupon for something they were buying, from a coupon book I bought for a charity. Nothing life changing by any means, but it probably brightened their day for a moment.

The most recent "Someone did something to help me" story is when OzoneOcean featured my comic "Super Temps".

Randal
Randal
Posted at

There's a big difference between blatant self promotion and just honestly saying "Hey, helping someone out made me feel better".

Sometimes people need to be lead by example.

You hit the nail on the head. I think I even said this wasn't about self promotion, but "I did something, and it made me feel less crappy", hence the title, "Warm fuzzy feeling."

I don't understand why people are getting the wrong idea about this, because I clearly stated …

What have you done lately that just plain made you feel good inside?

(blah blah blah)

I don't feel as crappy as I did last weekend. Thanks Riley and MM. Helping you helped me too.

I guess I can understand where you guys are coming from. People such as those, whom you suggested I possibly was, have a sleasy feel to them. Perhaps I didn't make it clearer.

On the other hand, nothing stopped you from asking for clarity before you crapped on my Cheerios.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I dunno…

I remember once, years ago, I was on my way to return some videos. I heard this feeble voice calling pitifully for help. I looked around and eventually spotted this poor frail old woman lying awkwardly on her front lawn. I went over to help her, made sure she was ok and nothing was broken or anything, then helped her up and walked/carried her inside her house.
She thanked me and asked me to come in to have a cup of tea, but I couldn't wait to return my vids and also felt too shy as well as embarrass about being thanked.

I felt sort of good about that, but I never told anyone at all until many years after when I noticed the house again and told someone I'd once helped the old lady there after she'd fallen- not as a boast, but more of a curiosity that had to do with the house.
I think it took so long to tell anyone because I felt that if said anything then I'd wipe away that altruism, that it'd be more about me talking about the act and my part in it than the act itself.

Only told one person about that and never written about it either till now. Haha, I still remember how that frail little old bony lady seemed to weigh SOOOoooooo much!

I don't think I've wiped away the altruism by talking about it here because afterall it really wasn't a big thing- Just helping a stranger. And if that was the most altruistic thing I'd ever done in my life then that wouldn't make me very altruistic, would it? :P

The most recent "Someone did something to help me" story is when OzoneOcean featured my comic "Super Temps".
Ha! If it wasn't for people like you posting great comics on the site I would be buggered. You're helping ME, not the other way around. ;)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

When I help a cat get adopted into a good home at the humane society it always makes me feel good.

The last time I remember people being really helpful to me was a few months back when my great-grandma died. I had to drive nine hours to her funeral in Saskatchewan, and then got snowed in there and ended up missing quite a bit of school. While I was there I was quite worried about all the work I was missing. But when I got back, all the teachers just let it go, or let me catch up as I was able to.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

If it bothers you THAT much, then why not post "Someone did something great for me, thank you kind person" instead? Yes, anonymous helping of others is the most high, but don't crap on the slightly lower, helped others and then told people. Sometimes people need to be lead by example.

I've noticed that those who make a point of broadcasting their altruism to the world, are often the same people who become personally insulting or offensive at the first opportunity, as your example demonstrates. You're definitely leading by example - truly a leader of men.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

I've noticed that those who make a point of broadcasting their altruism to the world, are often the same people who become personally insulting or offensive at the first opportunity, as your example demonstrates. You're definitely leading by example - truly a leader of men.

The only people I've seen attack anyones credibility in this thread were yourself and Alwin. All Smkinoshita did was ask you (relatively politely, imho) to step back and take another look before you go labeling people who just want to say "this felt good" as Eric Cartman or Hyacinth Bucket.

Oh wait. Are you British? That would explain everything. Self effacement is their national passtime. =B

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

The only people I've seen attack anyones credibility in this thread were yourself and Alwin. All Smkinoshita did was ask you (relatively politely, imho) to step back and take another look before you go labeling people who just want to say "this felt good" as Eric Cartman or Hyacinth Bucket.

Oh wait. Are you British? That would explain everything. Self effacement is their national passtime. =B

What he actually said was that I was crapping on other posters in this thread, despite the fact that I simply stated my opinion, to which I am entitled, and attacked noone. You may consider that polite - I do not.

And now you are adding insult via national stereotyping into the mix? You altruists really are a cut above the rest of us!XD

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Guys! You're not allowed to argue in the nice thread about helping other people! :)

rokulily
rokulily
Posted at

this past saturday i volunteered at my town library, drawing lil kids and there parents faces next to lincoln's for a few hours. little kids will only give you a 10 minute chance to draw them before they get really bored so i had to draw pretty fast. they all love their pictures so it was great! i would've felt bad if they didn't like them so i'm really glad they did!

i think the best thing though was when i volunteered at a special needs camp for a solid week, it's a sleep away. that was amazing! i've helped out events before but a solid week where the only break i took was when i was rem sleeping, and teachin' my volunteer cabinmates egyptian ratscrew was really intense! my brother was a camper there and they all had an amazing time too, so i hear first hand from him and his friends.

i like to think i help people out just being me though sometimes i take some time ta do stuff. i don't know

Posted at

this past saturday i volunteered at my town library, drawing lil kids and there parents faces next to lincoln's for a few hours. little kids will only give you a 10 minute chance to draw them before they get really bored so i had to draw pretty fast. they all love their pictures so it was great! i would've felt bad if they didn't like them so i'm really glad they did!

That's so cute! <3

My school is really big on charity and service projects, so I always try to do a little volunteering at least once every month. I mainly started because it looked good on my NHS application, but I actually find doing it quite fun now. My favorite is working with this group of handicapped old women, they're all very thankful and they love company. The inner city kids kind of intimidate me though, the older ones anyway. They judge me and my poor face painting abilities! D:

I also feel pretty good when I stand up for someone. I've developed a bit of a superman complex of the years when it comes to dealing with people who are the low men on the totem pole, thinking I can defend anyone. This is mainly because of my sister having a disability. I once punched a bitch for saying something bad about her. Eventually it translated into something I do for friends as well. It's worked to my disadvantage on many occasions, but when someone is thankful it's always satisfying. Now if only I could stand up for myself. >;/

alwinbot
alwinbot
Posted at

Ah crap. Now you think I'm trying to rain on your parade.

I didn't mean that you shouldn't feel good after you help a person out. I just don't feel much when I help a person. Not that I don't try, it just doesn't give me the same feeling as you guys might have.

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

Distributed (and posted up on walls and bus shelters) more than 1000 flyers for a very good cause.

Even though my legs ached afterwards. Even though I had a bit of an argument with security guards (trust me, some of these wanname-cops make the police look like angels). Even though I don't make a single cent doing this.

Its all good.

It feels good to be unlocking minds and standing up to evil.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

It feels good to be unlocking minds and standing up to evil.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!

Posted at

Only told one person about that and never written about it either till now. Haha, I still remember how that frail little old bony lady seemed to weigh SOOOoooooo much!

I don't think I've wiped away the altruism by talking about it here because after all it really wasn't a big thing- Just helping a stranger. And if that was the most altruistic thing I'd ever done in my life then that wouldn't make me very altruistic, would it? :P

That story was so sweet that anything I could meaningfully say about it would make me look like a chick. I've already been mistaken for a girl online enough times (would you believe someone I became friends with originally thought Skull Girl was my author avatar?) so let's just stop there.

Telling doesn't remove the altruism. It'd be one thing if nobody asked, but you were asked about your most recent warm n' fuzzy moment, and that's definitely warm and fuzzy. Plus you are the counter to the 'bystander effect' which I applaud you for. These days, it seems nobody stops to help those in need anymore.

I'd like to point out that exactly how 'altruistic' someone is can be determined by the consistent character they present.

The vibe I get from most admins is mischievous but ultimately they're altruistic at heart. People don't realize how much time and effort is required to be an admin. (My wife does admin work) It's a leader's role. I've had the leader's role. I try to avoid it unless it's required because it's the hardest job when done right. So really, your 'warm and fuzzy' story is completely consistent with the persona you put forward. Like it or not, it's just more proof you're a good guy. ;) (Yes, this applies to the other admins here too)

Finally, who cares about the motivation behind the good deeds? This is a thread to make people feel good about humanity. We get enough news about the ugly side as is.

Posted at

I let a big-ass spider go in the back yard woods. I had captured it in a jar and planned to torture it,(because spiders are evil and must be killed on sight) but i let it go and gave it a chance.

You fool! It knows your scent now. Sleep with one eye open… *Shifty eyes*

Posted at

I let a big-ass spider go in the back yard woods. I had captured it in a jar and planned to torture it,(because spiders are evil and must be killed on sight) but i let it go and gave it a chance.
maybe that's the spider hiding in my keyboard somewhere right now…

hmm…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.