Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Warning... This is a Rant.

Dynamic
Dynamic
Posted at

First the dog puts a hole in page 11. so I redo it. and then I start on page 12 and finish it. I go to put page 11 and 12 in my computer to start building up a buffer for updates and my scanner has decided it's not working. It's all installed correctly and functioning on it's own properly, but for some reason my computer has decided that no other USB functionality in the world exists outside of the internet. which is running at about 30% (it's usually around 95% connectability)

something is wrong with my usb drive. I have run a virus scan, I've reinstalled the printer drivers, I've reinstalled the usb drivers. I've even wiped both the printer drivers and the usb drivers and reinstalled them starting first with the usb.

my computer has decided it hates me and will aparantly do everything in it's power to stop me from working on my comic. It is driving me absolutley batty.

I can't think of anything else I can do to fix the problem, and it just won't work. I bet if I decide honestly and truly to give up on the comic then my scanner will start working again spontaneously. Unfortunatley if I do that, the comic will die. Or maybe it's just testing me to see how serious I really am about the comic, and since this is pissing me off so much, I'm pretty damn serious.

Fate is a bitch, and Murphy and his damn laws hate me I swear to god.

Posted at

…what you need is an open window.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

…and bacon! You need that too!

Dynamic
Dynamic
Posted at

to jump out of? 'cus I'm almost ready to do it.

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Have you checked to see if your USB cables were damaged?

Dynamic
Dynamic
Posted at

no it's not every single usb cable I own that is dammaged, it's the computer. it's done it before.

and yes I know boohoo I am sucking it up but I still wanted to bitch.

hence the warning of "warning… this is a rant"

don't you read?

Rich
Rich
Posted at

Hmm…. Did you try blowing your USB ports out? Is it possible they are dirty or something?

Dynamic
Dynamic
Posted at

I figured it out actually. it was the cable for my scanner. I pulled out a voltometer and checked the flow for the usb ports and they were all working after I reinstalled them, so I started checking the cables for everything too and the only cable that was dead was the one to the printer.

Why the net kept working while there WAS an actual problem with the usb ports themselves is beyond me.

maybe my computer is as addicted to the net as I am.

Posted at

it could also be that your scanner is getting old and outdated.

I had something simlar happen to my own old scanner before, snice I had my old scanner for up to 10 years or so and then one day, it just stopped working, etc… espeically when I had brought new hardware for my comptuer.. new memory, new harddrive for increasing my space, etc……

turns out that my scanner was so outdated that it couldn't keep up with the improvements that I had done with my pc, which was also 10 years old. and my cables and everything was fine too.
so it just sat there collecting dust while I resorted to using my wacom tablet mostly for updating my comic…

but now I have an new scanner, and it self-updates too, in terms of support and software. :) so now I have an scanner that can keep up with my own updates to the pc.

josif
josif
Posted at

That is one hell of a rant…

Dynamic
Dynamic
Posted at

well the model was actually only recently discontinued, and I've only had it for about 4-5 years. I found out why it was discontinued though… the location of the usb cable connection on the back likes to get jammed into walls and break the insides of the wire…

which is exactly what mine did.

they needed to put a protective covering on it or out it on the side not just this 90 degree angle sticking out of the back of the scanner. the scanner itself is fine. I mean I could make copies independantly of my computer if I wanted to and they looked perfect, but it wouldn't send them to the computer.

Locoma
Locoma
Posted at

I'm using an entire win 98 emulator only to use my scanner (doesn't work with NT systems). I love my good old scanner <3 (and emulators too)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

My scanner is 6 years old and it just stopped working… All I did was keep it unplugged for about 3 or for months. What should that matter? Stupid thing.
When I plugged it back in again, its lamp wouldn't even come on! I had to leave it plugged in and turned on all night untill it finally started to slowly wake up: first the lights would flicker and then it gradually steadied, untill I could turn it off and turn it back on again and it would be fully alive every time.

But when I connected it back with the computer, the computer couldn't "see" it at all. SO I suppose it's dead for good. Poor old parralell port scanner… The trouble is it was such a fantastic bloody scanner. My lovely olf Umax… Ah well, I only do tablet work these days anyway, and I can always use my digi-cam if I need to. :(

junoblairb
junoblairb
Posted at

We all need to bitch sometimes but you get extra kudos for saying 'fate's a bitch.' ;)

My scanner has gone out on me three times now. I now have a little Canon and I'm just waiting for that to go out too. What chapped my ass in the recent past was Photoshop resetting it's color profile so that yellow looked puke green, etc and finding no way but reinstalling to fix it and of course, losing all my swatches. Till I was able to do that I had to do the comic by hexidecimal code. Talk about the suck.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

What chapped my ass in the recent past was Photoshop resetting it's color profile so that yellow looked puke green, etc and finding no way but reinstalling to fix it and of course, losing all my swatches.
Aarrgh! That happened to me when I got a new video card a while back! I was SO pissed of and couldn't work it out… I still don't remember how I fixed it…

I didn't lose the swatches though, I made sure I backed up all those settings long ago… I've been using the same swatches for a few versions of PS now ;)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.