Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I like drinking coffee. But I only drink decaffinated coffee (even though it's mostly decaf). I usually put just one packet of Splenda and two teaspoons of creamer in my coffee.

Now I'm seeing people putting a lot of sugar in their coffee to make it taste sweet. And they're putting other stuff in it with the sugar like chocolate, caramels, etc… and then there's the specialty creamers to go with that coffee. Whatever happened to those days when coffee was supposed to taste bitter and not like dessert?

Well, so now I ask. What do YOU DDers who drink coffee usually put in your morning cup?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

From what I know of the history of coffee (not much), people fist started using it as a bitter-sweet drink… A stimulating drink… Very popular in the Muslim world very early on because of the prohibition against alcohol.
Then popular all over Europe- Lloyds, the massive shipping insurance underwriters started as a coffee house, as did the London stock exchange, long before the Wall street dream was a glimmer in some fevered capitalist brain. That was before tea took over.

For me, these days I have a dash of milk and a teaspoon of sugar.
-Sometimes if I want my coffee extra stimulating I add nutmeg, which has that effect for some reason (you get used to it fast though, so you can't do it all the time or it doesn't work)

-I've tried stuff like marshmallows, honey, caramel but it's all disgusting. :(
Coffee doesn't tollerate much. A bit of dissolved chocolate is about the limit.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

I like a mint chocolaty chip frappuccino with a coffee base(spoiled kid's daddy gives her starbucks cards).

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Nothing. On the rare occasion I will drink coffee, I take it black, like all real men.

edit: Adding a bit of sugar never hurt though.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

Usually just creamer/milk…though I like the sweet kind sometimes. If coffee didn't turn my guts inside out I would have it a lot. =/

I think coffee and desserts are the best mix though. Ever had cappuccino flavored icecream or a Tiramisu cake? *drool*

Jinachi
Jinachi
Posted at

Personally i drink tea but i also take the same like i take tea.
Two Sugers and Milk

amanda
amanda
Posted at

I rarely drink coffee. I'm a tea drinker like Jinachi, but I prefer mine plain. If I do drink coffee, I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum, and I load it down with whatever syrupy monstrosity I can find at a coffee house. Otherwise, it's just nasty.

Posted at

Me and coffee have a rocky relationship. I never used to drink coffee (other than the very occasional lattes from the local coffee shop). Since I've moved here though I've started drinking it sometimes.

A third of the time it makes my stomach upset and/or gives me a headache, a third of the time it makes my heart race, and a third of the time it puts me to sleep. So there's no actual reason for me to be drinking coffee, but I still have 3 or 4 cups a week anyway. I think I should just stop as I can't even use it to keep awake when I'm tired- not when I need the wake up anyway (having a coffee at 4 in the afternoon will keep me up another hour at least at night). Getting up and taking a walk or something works a lot better for me in that respect.

I used to have milk in my coffee, but I couldn't actually taste any difference with no milk in, and I doubt a bit of milk would affect the overall acidity of the drink. I also always had sugar in it, but I switched to splenda a while ago because it tastes sweeter and isn't all calories sugary etc.

I've tried drinking tea (fitting in in England and all) but ugh, tea is just stupid. It doesn't even taste like anything, it's like drinking the hot water left over after you make spaghetti.

Posted at

I empty it out, then I piss into the mug and drink that instead.

I've tried drinking tea (fitting in in England and all) but ugh, tea is just stupid. It doesn't even taste like anything, it's like drinking the hot water left over after you make spaghetti.

You're making it wrong. Use a pot with two bags and leave it to stew for a bit. Put as little milk in your mug as possible, then pour the tea. Also, it is very, very important that you put the milk in before the tea. And that you use a mug, instead of a cup. If you want sugar, use enough to allow the spoon to stand up without support.

lba
lba
Posted at

I always figured that part of the purpose of using coffee to wake oneself up was that it was bitter and sharp tasting so I never put anything in it figuring it would help me wake up that much faster. On top of that I just developed a taste for black coffee during my time in Japan.

These days though I try to avoid caffeinated stuff or anything with a high fructose corn syrup since the stuff makes me sick which pretty well excludes most of the stuff at Starbucks or the other major coffee chains. If I do have coffee I just stick with regular old black coffee.

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

when i was younger, my great aunt would always say to me "that stuff will stunt your growth". i never did believe her, till i grew up to a awesome 5'7", and my youngest brother who never had coffee is an awesome 6'2".

but when i did drink i'd load it down with sugar and creamer. i like my sweet stuff, but then after about an hour or two, i'd crash, so i stopped drinking alot of caffinated beverages.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I used to cycle 14km to a cafe with my dad early every Saturday morning. There we'd meet friends, eat breakfast, and hang out the rest of the morning until lunch drinking coffee… And maybe going to the second hand bookshops to find something interesting.

I'd drink 2, 3, or 4 cappuccinos… After a while it felt like the muscles under my skin were vibrating. :(
So I gave it up for a while.

But it gave me lots of verve for the ride back home :)

Raccoo
Raccoo
Posted at

I never really liked the taste of coffee, without some sugar added in. And even then it was still bitter. Now that I got creamer + sugar, I like to drink a cup at breakfast every now and then (maybe 2 or 3 times a week). I've never had any drinks from Starbucks (or Starbucks-ish places). I like Arby's Jamocha shake, and coffee icecream.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I went to a Starbucks once. Seemed a bit overdone. -_-

I've just always liked simple, ordinary cafes, with a simple selection of coffees and teas. None of that frappa-decaffa-whatsit-with-a-slice-of-lemon.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

Usually a spoonful on chocolate powder (Milo usually), a lot of milk and no sugar. I'm a mocha sort of person.

Posted at

You're making it wrong.

I think that's a given with my heathen American teamaking ways :) I don't have a proper teapot though so I can't quite make it the way you're suggesting.

I've had plenty of english folks make tea for me (they're convinced I'm just having it wrong and I'll like it if they make it) and I still don't think much of it. I dunno, just doesn't do much for me…

Posted at

They're all making it wrong. Very few people know how to make it properly. Usually it's too much milk.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I'm the ONLY one that does it right… One teabag. Hot water, sugar, milk. stuff your fancy "pot tea".

…Well, at a cafe maybe… But I just don't have time! I'm BUSY!!! :)

Drasnus
Drasnus
Posted at

Just coffee. Who needs water?

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

tea or coffee??

i like my tea southern style. so thick you are practically drinking sugar. any other way is very, how shall i say….flagrant.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

To be honest I prefer Hot Chocolate over Tea or Coffee. I guess that makes me a sissy.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Black, extra sugar (if possible) The battery acid I've had needs the sugar and milk wasn't always availible in the field. Kona coffee preferred, or the real Brazilian stuff.

Diesel fuels tanks, black coffee fuels tankers. (Mountain Dew when availible)

After getting out of the service I drink tea (black, extra sugar often green tea) and save coffee for a treat.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

I have mine as black as Samuel L. Jackson. Which is really black.

amanda
amanda
Posted at

i like my tea southern style. so thick you are practically drinking sugar.
One of the worst things about Texas is "sweet tea." You can have it. =]

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.