Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

What is your Favorite Cliche/Most Hated Cliche

Posted at

The thing about cliche is we say we all hate it, but that isn't really true, we hate BAD cliche. Cliche's wouldn't be popular if people didn't enjoy them, but so many people can't do something justice we get really ticked off when we see it done badly.

So what cliche do you secretly enjoy and what do you openly hate?

A cliche I love the final duel. Two epic opponents come speak their final good-bye and go into one on match from which only one walks away from. I though the movie Sliverado really did a good job with this and a terribly bad awful example of this is the fight between Anikan & Obi-Wan from Star Wars III (ARG so anti-climactic "I've got the high ground >.< ).

The cliche I almost always HATE is the introduction of a new love interest for the main character as a plot devise to finally get two main characters together. An example of this dne right was when Peorth was introduced to Ah My Goddess and a baaaad example of this was the introduction of Mina to Sonic comics.

TnTComic
TnTComic
Posted at

my favorite cliche is the cane that comes from off-stage to yank the character away

my least favorite cliche is super hero alter-egos being dorky

Posted at

"Scary" clowns and "creepy" dolls. It's just a fucking piece of plastic, idiots.

Posted at

Oh wait, we were supposed to name a favorite one too.

Main villain yelling "KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL!"

I don't know, but I'll never get enough of that.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I hate the one that occurs in 75% of Hollywood movies and most animes too… Male character meets female character, they don't really like each other, they have a big adventure, maybe it's "romantic" or maybe it's violent, but they end up falling in lurrrrv…

Pssssshhh, not AGAIN! Why can't they start of in lurrrv and fall into hate? I think I've seen that once or twice, it should happen more. Or maybe the gal goes of with the guy's friend? Or maybe it's just platonic? I like it when that happens… Anything's better than the lurv/lust plot.

Fave cliche: The "good" guy getting his crap together in the last 10 minutes of the film and coming back bigger and badder than ever. FTW! Literally. lol!

Posted at

Fave cliche: The "good" guy getting his crap together in the last 10 minutes of the film and coming back bigger and badder than ever. FTW! Literally. lol!
Agreed.

Posted at

Favorite Cliche: Horror movies where the slasher/killer loses, but manages to escape

Least Favorte Cliche: The female lead cowers to the side while the hero bravely battles the villain.

DLMcomics
DLMcomics
Posted at

I hate videogame cliches like "boy washed ashore with no memories of his past" type things.

Favorite: I don't know, I guess returning bad guys at the end of movies (hand bursts from the ground, credits roll)

Posted at

Equillibrium

Posted at

mapaghimagsik reminded me, I hate when the girl, standing feet away from the gun that was tossed to the floor in a struggle, instead of picking it up yells "GET THE GUN!" to the dude who's busy having a fist-fight to avoid having his head stepped in.

Posted at

Least favourite cliche: The dynamic female character is reduced to a screaming puddle of tears the moment she is needed to do more than badger the main character in more ways than one. Ugh! What? If she is dynamic and knows her stuff, why does she break down and cry when the bad guy goes 'boo'?

(one of the) Most favourite cliche: The main character starts off small and insignificant, and with work and determination manages to become big and bad ass. ;) Can't get enough of that!

Posted at

I like the "it can't get any worse" and then it rains cliche.

I hate the "I'm a 15 year old girl in high school (in Japan, of course) and one day, something totally out of the ordinary happened!" cliche. If that is the beginning to the anime (or whatever) I walk away. I get sick of those damn beginnings.

I hate the "too many comical anime faces" cliche. If there's too many sweatdrops, swirley eyes, angry marks, etc, it pisses me off. I mean, I don't mind if it doesn't happen often, but if they make one of those damn faces to every little thing that happens, it pisses me off. In fact, I don't even know if that's a cliche. All I know is that it pisses me off.

Big time.

Posted at

favorite cliche= montages of any kind. they're so fun.
least favorite cliche= two henchmen of the villain, one is fat and one is thin and they're both dumb.

Neilsama
Neilsama
Posted at

Least favorite cliche: The character who heroicly gives his life so that everyone else may live. And I'm not talking about those situations where they're all going to die anyway, and the guy closest to the danger saves his pals. I'm talking about those times where the big bad hero gets the glint in his eye, cracks a smile, and says a cheesy line right as he hurls himself into oblivion. Like, "Yippy-kiyay! I get to be a martyr!" MAN, that pisses me off!

Favorite cliche: The two main characters who hate each other. They go on a big adventure, fighting, bickering, and throwing punches at each other. A big bad guy comes along, and the two rivals have to work together. And when evil is defeated and peace restored to the land, they still hate each other. Best example:Naga and Lina of Slayers

HO! HO! HO! HO!

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Favorite Cliche: The car chase in which two cars go at it, the main hero and either an assistant to the main villain, or the main villain them self. In this chase, the cars act like they have neither anti-lock brakes or traction control as they swerve wildly through either Chicago, Los Angeles or New York.

As they drive, they hit fruit cars and whatnot (cars hate fruit carts in movies), they attract the attention of the police or more of the bad guy's henchmen who either end up going airborne and spinning side to side while exploding in a rollover or getting blocked by an 18-Wheeler that so happened to be in the wrong place at the right time. The chase goes on and the main hero and the person they're chasing go over a many hills, which cause little damage to the cars for some reason. As always, the cars that both the villain and the hero drive are indestructible until they reach the final destination which usually either end in one car going airborne (but not exploding) and one car screeching to a halt.

Also, John Woo's characters fighting with a gun in each hand is always cool.

Least Favorite: Eli Roth's style of horror movies that are now accepted as the norm. The whole "how shocking can we make this?" kinda horror movie that focuses on gory decapitations and gory killings instead of deep psychological fear.

marine
marine
Posted at

Well I love the token stereotipical characters. Like if theres a gay guy in a horror movie and he is incredibly gay, it becomes comedic. Same with bitchy girl, black guy, comic relief, dorky guy, rebelious macho guy, etc, etc.

And then I also hate how the comic relief always gets killed in horror movies and action movies. Usually the first guy to go too. Very rarely if ever has the comic relief lived until the end. Seeing as how in real life I'm the comic relief, thats bullshit. Also I hate the Adam Sandler movies where he gets the girl at the end. Thats not real at all. If more Romantic Comedys were like Chasing Amy where the funny guy loses the girl, that'd be awesome.

kitty17
kitty17
Posted at

I also like the "it can't get any worse" and then it rains cliche, that dancing chaos mentioned.

least favorite: When the girl breaks a heel (or just plain trips) and falls to the ground when the main badguy is chasing after her and then cowers there and doesn't even think to move out of the way. Funny…but gets annoying.

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

favorite cliche= montages of any kind. they're so fun.

I love montages and giggle every time I see one….80's movies were notorious for these!

I hate the cliche where the retarded kid becomes super smart and wins the spelling bee.

…that's not a cliche I hear…

I hate the cliche where the nerd or supposedly dorky guy or girl by the end of the movie becomes the hottest thing on campus…even though through the whole movie you have been saying to yourself…that girl (or guy?) is so hot!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I think I've written this before, but it needs to be said again:

In the Star Trek TV series…

The damn Trial episodes! Every fourth episode some fool goes on trial for a crime they didn't know they committed, or they DO know but they wont defend themselves! (this cliche plot line crops up in a LOT of American TV series).

The episodes where two people who hate each other (or are just not that friendly), find themselves marooned somewhere and have to work together to get out of whatever situation they're in- usually always their shuttle crashed on a planet somewhere and the radio is stuffed…

I did sort of like the evil twin episodes. You know the ones; where the counterpart characters have goatees and act like sex gods. Those were fun ^^

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

I hate all Christian-made movies for Christian audiences. They are all giant cliches. They all suck. Very hard.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Favorite: Tim Curry

Most Hated: crappy nu-metal song played when it's time for someone/something to get "badass."

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I know some more bad ones:
*Every single episode of Dragonball Z was a crappy cliche of itself.
*All those animes where the spineless little dork of a male character turns into a puddle of stutters, blushes and nervous ticks every single time he's around a female character of roughly the same age. Jebus, grow some animated testicles why don't they…

Good ones:
Ah-nold in his early 80's action roles lol! I loved those as a kid. McBane in the Simpsons is nothing to the real thing.

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

Hated:

Nearly every adventure story starts with the main character's home town (or current place of residence)getting attacked by outside forces, either in back-story or real-time.

"Only one thing can stop him/her/it! And it's him/her/this!"

How only one male or very butch female hero saves the day, rather than a team working together.

Liked:

The nerdy girl in glasses with pigtails. What can I say? I'm a Narusegawa fan. They strike me as very funny for some reason. I also use it, myself.

Body/brain swapping: "Oh no! I'm short! I'm weak! And…(suddenly very positive)hey…I'm female!"

Memmy
Memmy
Posted at

I hate the one that occurs in 75% of Hollywood movies and most animes too… Male character meets female character, they don't really like each other, they have a big adventure, maybe it's "romantic" or maybe it's violent, but they end up falling in lurrrrv…
[quote[]

O_o… *looks at my comic script.* AW. I guess that makes my story a major cliche. Maybe I read too much slash in the past… I blame Star Wars and Lord of the Rings!

Cliche that I hate: Cheesey martial art, especially Power Pangers. I mean, come on. Its the same damn move nearly every time, every episdoes. They started in 1993, you'd think they'd at least take on diffrent styles.

Cliche that I like: "it can't get any worse" and then it rains cliche… FTW

ZOMBIES!! And…

I'm sure there's more, but I'm munching on Cheddar & Sour Cream chips and its killing my brain.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.