Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

What kind of government would you call the "Ministry of Accounts"?

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Lemme explain. I got this game called "Space Trader". Basically you're a merchant trading commodities in space as well as taking on side jobs (such as bounty hunting).

In the universe that is Space Trader is the omnipresent government called the Ministry of Accounts. This is a government made up of beaurocrats who record every single transaction that every person makes, and levying the appropriate taxes on every single one. Now if they think you owe more tax on something you're shipping or for a service (despite the fact that you already paid the tax as part of the payment), they send a couple of armed guys who will force you to pay… at gunpoint.

I guess I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the concept. Is this an oppressive government? (I don't see it like that since you've got most of your freedom)? Are there any real world equivelants? Could a government like this actually exist?

Time to dip my head into some liquid nitrogen to cool down my brain then knock myself back to my senses with a hammer…

kyupol
kyupol
Posted at

This is a government made up of beaurocrats who record every single transaction that every person makes, and levying the appropriate taxes on every single one

This is whats gonna happen in our world (unless we make a big stink about it).

Is this an oppressive government?

Of course it is. I don't wanna live in a world like that. :(

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

didnt that happen here in the states a couple years back? some dude refused to pay his taxes, holed himself up on his land and they sent the swat after him?

Posted at

If there was a way to monitor people with some sort of chip implanted in their skin throughout the world, and not having one would result in being unable to legally obtain food or any other necessities in life, I suppose it would be possible. (Verichip, anyone?)

Oppressive? You bet.

First off, I don't trust computers entirely, because they can make errors, seriously screwing up accounts. And tracking taxes of everything would require a computer system I believe. But I'm getting ahead of myself. This whole concept has been proposed in several sci-fi stories and by many conspiracy theorists. Not to mention, I'm over annalyzing your question.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I've always wonder how a government would be able to keep track of ALL your personal finances so they could be taxed. Never heard of this so called "Verichip". Of course, in such a future civilization computer errors won't be so common in the tax department. It is true that you'd need a very large computer system to keep track of all those transactions by trillions (or more) individuals, so you're not overanalyzing at all I think…

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

This body already exists - I work for it. Ok, we don't use guns and we can't be sure to catch every transaction, but believe me, we're working on it.

Is it an oppressive government? Of course not, unless you don't believe in taxes, but then who's going to pay for your roads, your schools, your drains, your public lavatories and your freedom?

Of course, in such a future civilization computer errors won't be so common in the tax department.
Oh you poor misguided fool!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.