Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
D0m
D0m
Posted at

I'm pretty sure 90% of us Drunk Duckers have the same one, but for the sake of fun and dreaming…

Tell us about your dream job:

Make your own hours. Who's your boss? What's the pay like? Where's the office?

I got this idea after I realized that my cushy government job isn't what I would -love- to do.

My dream job is this:

I draw comics and freelance. I make enough money to live comfortably in an apartment with my girlfriend, pay off my car, afford groceries when I want and miscellaneous items like comics and vacations. I'm my own boss and I work out of the apartment. My hours are generally from 8AM to 3PM, though I'll probably draw for fun afterwards, anyway.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Quite simply, a level designer.

It's the only thing I wanna do. If I end up working somewhere else, I'll hang myself.

Hijuda
Hijuda
Posted at

Make a living off of webcomics. :D

Being a video game designer would be cool, too.

Miruku
Miruku
Posted at

First chair in a symphony orchestra, teach flute to college/high school students, and draw comics on the side. Apparently I like being busy.

Nicotine
Nicotine
Posted at

Hmmm, I love languages. I've always wanted to teach English in foreign countries, be a translater or a writer. Of course, I'd want to still draw on the side.

Posted at

No job at all!

But yeah, that's not possible.

When I started out, I thought I wanted to do sound design, audio recording and such. So I went and got my associates in that. Then on a whim went for my associates in digital media,, which oddly enough I enjoyed more and was better at. Coming out of school I thought it'd be nice to do animation, which I did for 4 years, but it got boring after awhile. Not animating itself, but what I was animating, it wasn't very creative.

After the company lost money and had to let people go, I ended up in graphic design at a newspaper, which I thoroughly enjoy. I'm actively trying to educate myself more on design theory and how it relates to print. If I stick with this line of work, I'd prefer to either eventually move onto magazine work. Or go to work for myself either freelance ad design, or the big goal of starting up my own ad agency. Or any type of creative company. Hell I'd still even love to get back into sound mixing for either music or movies and tv.

I'd still be confined a bit to the normal 9-5 schedule, but I'd like the opportunity to work from my home, though I'm interested to see if I'm up to the challenge of not letting myself get distracted.

Now if you want to go for nearly impossible dream job for me at this point it would be something where I work with pandas. Even if I had to go to China to do so. :)

Posted at

My dream job is that I stay home all day drawing webcomics and pestering people on messageboards. My expenses are paid by my current partner or partners.

I'm still working on this, though.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

My dream job is to work in – no, as a DREAM I'd like to found and run a natural history museum. That would be so cool. I'd like to design exhibits, educate people, and just be in a museum all the time. I used to want to run my own small zoo, but at this point in time, a museum seems more to my liking.

My roommate is an anthropologist (I'm a biologist), so if I can ever get a grant and actually do something toward that goal, she said she'd be my partner in it.

I'd also love to have a (fiction/adventure) book published – or made into a movie or TV show (if only to see some of my characters "brought to life" ). But that could be a side dream, not a career goal.

Puff
Puff
Posted at

Everyone here has fairly interesting job dreams. Museums, video games, instrumental, linguistics… I feel lame for saying that I think my dream job would be working as either a writer or artist (No doubt I'll have improved by the time I'm 20-ish/hireable) for Marvel. I don't care how much money I made, I'm not a big fan of big houses. Just enough for an apartment in a city (maybe Chicago or London… come to think of it, those are both expensive). I would like to work from home though. If not, I'd like to be a plastic surgeon. Normal plastic surgeon hours, normal plastic surgeon salary, same plastic surgeon channel– tune in next week!

Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

Dreams are like stars to navigate with…they give you the direction you should go.

For me, I'd like to farm part of the day….raise a substantial garden, tend to a few cattle and chickens. My goal is to provide over 80% of the food my wife and I eat.
The other part of the day (evening), I'd like to draw and work on my comic…either in a print or web format. I also want to have a horse and a small wagon I can use around the farm or to go to the country store not far from where we'll live. My wife wants to complete a Culinary degree and do small group catering, or perhaps we'll open part of our future house as a bed and breakfast. We intend to live quite modestly..which means we'll need very little actual income, giving us lots of financial room to live our dreams.

Our plan is to start building our house up on the farm in 4 years. By then, all of our debts should be paid off. What fun are dreams if you don't try to make them happen?)

Below is the view from what will be our front porch:

-Dave

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

Senior Marketing executive - I'm being serious here. I want to do something in advertising.

Puff
Puff
Posted at

Wow, Roguehill, you don't hear of a lot of people that have that dream anymore. But it's great that you do. If it works out like you say it will, it sounds like you'd be in heaven every day. You'd do what you want and still be able to afford a little on the side. :)

Mazoo
Mazoo
Posted at

Oh man, Roguehill, that will tough work! Working on a farm is so hard! I work on the farm my mom keeps her horses at every so often, and man is it tough. You'll stay in good shape, though. The only thing I would be a little squeamish about would be the fact that whenever you wanted meat, you'd have to… you know… kill the cow yourself. Or chicken, or pig. I don't know if I'd be up for that.

My dream job? Oh man, I've got a bunch, actually. I'm not really sure what I want to do with my life…

First off I'd like to be a radio personality. I always thought radio shows were really neat and interesting, and I could be a co-DJ, because I like music, but I don't know enough about it to do that myself.

Secondly, I'd like to be a chemist. Nothing like inventory or lame things like that, but actual lab work, in doing experiments and whatnot. I'm actually majoring in Chemistry in college, so this may be an option.

Thirdly, I want to be an English Professor, and this is the one that will most likely happen. My other major is English, and the subject has always been a passion of mine. If this doesn't work out, maybe I could find a way to mix chemistry and english together in some way.

And, of course, I'd love to publish a novel or series and be a freelance artist one day.

wyldflowa
wyldflowa
Posted at

I want to be a cat lady! No joke~ If I could do anything it would be to open a home for abandoned/elderly cats so I could give them a nice little life and hopefully even get them new homes. I'd do it for other animals too if I had the facilities, dogs, bunnies, snakes and such… XD It'd be a very expensive thing to do though. Places like that cost a lot to run and mostly rely on charity to keep them afloat… but it's a nice little dream of mine. When I get my own house and a (very understanding) husband I'd take in a good few cats from the rescue home and look after them… until we had our own children probably… even then I know I'd be hard pressed to give up looking after kitties. X3

My goals are rather modest really… I want to continue doing my comic work 100% but if that doesn't work out I'd be very happy being a homemaker and looking after my children/cats and giving them the best start in life a mother can. ^_^ I'd like to have a huge house and be rich (then I could buy clothes and shooooes!) but it isn't the be all and end all… just being comfortable and able to afford the nessecities would be good… and, well, just being happy. :D

Roguehill~ your dream job sounds awesome~ I'd love to work on a farm myself. Animal poop and bloody bits don't faze me one bit. XD But it'd be real hard work and you'd have to get up reeeealy early every day - even on Christmas~ Animals and crops don't stop for the afternoons and holidays. ;D

Roguehill
Roguehill
Posted at

Oh man, Roguehill, that will tough work! Working on a farm is so hard! I work on the farm my mom keeps her horses at every so often, and man is it tough. You'll stay in good shape, though. The only thing I would be a little squeamish about would be the fact that whenever you wanted meat, you'd have to… you know… kill the cow yourself. Or chicken, or pig. I don't know if I'd be up for that.

Thanks guys! I actually grew up on a dairy farm and worked there until I had graduated college. We typically would slaughter a steer every year for meat…so I grew up thinking that having steak every Friday was no big deal.) And while it can be a rough experience having to slaughter a "pet" you raised from a calf, you see the bigger picture of life and death…and have a much greater appreciation for the food you consume.
I remember the miserably hot days and the frustrations of having to get up in the middle of the night to get your cattle off the road and into their pens…but I really miss living that close to nature.
Of course, my brave wife grew up in a Knoxville suburb….)

Posted at

I've always wanted to work as a character/monster designer for one of the major video game companies.

Failing that, being able to sit at home all day and draw comics would be okay too, I suppose. ;)

I also wanted to be a veterinarian at one point in my life, but I realized that I don't have the patience to go through that much schooling, haha.

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

All-purpose highly prolific cartoonist and ceo of my own entertainment company (so I can merchandise and make pitches for films). And I would work out of my house and the hours would be whenever I feel like it.

Posted at

Wow such diverse dreams! It's so cool to hear what people want to do with their lives, and THIS thread reminds me the nicest coolest people ever hang out here.

Anyways…

My dream job is working for a comic company drawing comics/pin up art and developing other artists. I really wanna change the comic industry, I think those nifty "web comic" thingies are the future, man! Oh oh and I want my own office, and a boss that I can make fun of and draw derogatory pictures of to post on the internets! oh and while I'm at it I'd like a mouthy little programmer guy with glasses to make fun of too. (and a backpack full of Taco Bell)

or I could settle for cat lady too! I'm from the country and I always get so sad at the sight of abandoned pets!

HAM
HAM
Posted at

Freelance all-around artist. Basically what I do now, but being paid for it. Direct, film, and act in lame movies, draw stupid stuff I think up, make comics, create video games and graphics, take beautiful photographs. I'd love to live for that, sure.

:edit: Oh my, how could I forget about writing stories!

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Publication Design by day and by "day" I mean starting no earlier than 10am! (something involving art, horror or other fun things), drawing comics at night!
Making enough money off both that I could live comfortably (own cute city house, afford good beer and fix my car when it needs it).

Posted at

Big budget film director and thrill seeker on the weekends.

Skulldog
Skulldog
Posted at

You know, I was expecting this thread to all full of "LOL artist" and nothing else, so I enjoyed getting to read some other options. Museums, farms, sweet..

My dream job would be a lot like I have now, freelancing with art, doing conventions and generally being my own manager. Only my dream job, I'd make at least 100% more money on art than I do now.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.