Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Where do you suppose meatballs came from?

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

At first I assumed it was an italian dish. But a show on The Food Network mentioned that meatballs are an american addition to spaghetti (first done by Chef Boyardi… I hope I got that spelling right). Now I read on wikipedia that the oldest meatball-like recipe was found in an ancient Roman cookbook. Now I'm a bit confused. Where in the heck did meatballs come from?

I'm still pretty sure that spaghetti with meatballs are an American dish… There's an article that claims that the dish originated from Italy, but I find that in dispute because that same cookbook had American style recipes added to it when it was translated for sale in America.

Great…. now I've got the urge to go out and buy some pasta, ground beef, spaghetti sauce and other stuff so I can make it myself.

And I bet someone's gonna insert some male gonad jokes in this thread…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

My undies. ;)

———–

I dunno. I've heard of "Swedish meatballs". And then there's Rissoles.

ramlama
ramlama
Posted at

And I bet someone's gonna insert some male gonad jokes in this thread…
Well, I was going to. But then you had to go and be all metacognitive about your query, which takes all of the fun out of it.

humorman
humorman
Posted at

My underwear.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

My underwear.
That's not as good, coming from you.

Posted at

What if I'd say the joke? Would it be funny again?

My briefs.

There! I said it. Are we done beating the dead horse or should we pummel it some more?

According to professor Wikipedia, the oldest Meatball recipes exist in Roman cook books. Regardless if it's true or not, I bet it's been around for longer then that. The idea of grinding up meat and mixing it with stuff doesn't sounds such a wild idea. It probably got invented lots of times, independently, all over the world, like the glasses and the bow and arrow.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

I have no evidence to support it, but I'd like to bet faggots date back to pre-history:

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

According to professor Wikipedia, the oldest Meatball recipes exist in Roman cook books. Regardless if it's true or not, I bet it's been around for longer then that. The idea of grinding up meat and mixing it with stuff doesn't sounds such a wild idea. It probably got invented lots of times, independently, all over the world, like the glasses and the bow and arrow.

I read that same article. I wonder how they ground their beef back then? I mean… I've got a hand crank meat grinder in storage right now ('til I need it again) that I couldn't do the job without…

Y'know? It's nice to know that Chef Boyardee (Ettore "Hector" Boiardi) was a real person just as Colonel Sanders was, and not as fictional as Betty Crocker or Aunt Jemima. :)

Youtube Video: Chef Boy-Ar-Dee commercial - 1953

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

I think meatballs originated in the stoneage, some caveman didn't know how to fit his steak into his mouth and just started smashing it. after several hours of bashing the steak was spread across the room in little pieces. the wife of said caveman gathered all the fragments and tried putting it back together, inventing the favorite dish of what would soon be known as america.

that or it originated from the Netherlands because we are briljant.

And while we are beating dead horses;

[dutch]Mijn onderbroek[dutch]

Peipei
Peipei
Posted at

It kind of makes sense that meatballs were an American addition to spaghetti. We have a lot of cows and stuff here in America :). If I recall, I think my mother had an authentic mediterranean cook book and their pasta recipes called for seafood like oysters and clams. None of the recipes had meatballs or tomatoes in them o_o. So idk :s.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah. Meatballs are pretty universal, but having them of spaghetti isn't. That probably is American.

same
same
Posted at

According to recent research. This documentary (which i was well informed was 100% accurate) showed them coming from the sky.
Believe in science!

The nintoaster is the main reason.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

From meat.

That's where they come from.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Yeah. Meatballs are pretty universal, but having them of spaghetti isn't. That probably is American.

The wiki article credits Chef Boyardee for that…

I do miss those the spaghetti that I had back then from that guy. Not the canned stuff… eww… I actually did have some of that stuff you had to prepare from the box in the earlier video link that I posed. That was good stuff. :)

waitaminute…. I sense deja vu…

Posted at

Meatballs come from Meat…usually beef
before meatballs I think people used to mix beef into the tomato sauce and call it "meat sauce" (that's what my dad does) but then they discovered meat can be molded into ball form to create meat shaped like a sphere end presto! there came the ever great meatball

i don't know really that's just my guess

Posted at

It seems to me that shaping a mound of hamburger into little spheres is something that you can't credit to one solitary individual. Hell, you probably can't even give it to an entire culture or society.

Meatballs entered the collective consciousness of the human race en masse. It bubbled up in the force of a zeitgeist.

Undies.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

Meatballs aren't an American invention, nor are they foreign to Italy. I think you misunderstood Alton Brown (assuming you heard it on "Good Eats") in which I'm pretty sure I remember hearing him say that while Italy has Spaghetti and they also have meatballs, they don't combine the two, as adding meatballs to spaghetti was popularized in the states.

Jobo
Jobo
Posted at

hmm… Well we Italians stole the idea of pasta from the asians….
I can see us stealing meatballs from somewhere too.

Randal
Randal
Posted at

MARCO!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

MARCO!
Polo?

Poor Farinelli :(

Still, voice of an angel, they say.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.