Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Why Did You Choose Drunk Duck to Host Your Comic?

Posted at

I've been checking out the various host sites for a future Web comic, and I was wondering if anyone here had any special reasons for choosing Drunk Duck. If you were to start over, would you still stick with the Duck?

And is there any way to avoid having the silly "drunkduck" name in your comics' URL? I like the site, but the name implies that everything here is a gag strip. That's great if you have a gag strip, but…

Posted at

I chose DrunkDuck because I had heard of it from one of my buddies, and he said it was very user-friendly compared to a lot of other comic hosts.

Of course… when he told me about it, DD was down… but still x_X

Posted at

I really love the community here and the general attitude of the site. Everyone's welcomed to come and host their comics here regardless of skill level. It's probably one of the most inclusive webcomic community I've ever been to. There are some places out there that define how great they are by bashing other webcomic hosting sites. We don't do that here on DrunkDuck and we don't mind you using DD as your mirror site either.

The site's also easy to use and the staff is really great. If I could start all over, would I come back? Sure would! :D

And unless you buy your own URL to forward to the account and such, then no I don't think you can avoid using "drunkduck" in the URL. Sorry~

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I started with DD because there only seemed to be Keenspace and Drunk Duck as comic hosts at that time, and Keenspace went down, so I chose DD. :)

DD seemed to have a friendlier vibe too.

And yes I'd go with DD again. I came back each time it went down. ;)
And now even though my stuff is hosted elsewhere as well, I still consider DD almost as the main site for my comic. I'm proud to have Pinky TA hosted on Drunk Duck.

Posted at

cause volte spammed me when dd was starting. heh

i stayed cause you can get a lot of comments and network with people. I meet a lot of cool people here in dd that i would not have otherwise. The staff tries to keep a safe environement to post, unlike other sites(i.e. newgrounds) who are very elitist.

Posted at

I came because at the time I knew absolutely nothing about html, and DD had an idiot-proof way of posting comics.
I've stayed because of the awesome feedback system and sense of community. (does that last part sound lame?)

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Well, at the time, KeenSpace was too complicated for me, so I looked around and found DrunkDuck, awesome times indeed. (Though I hated that 1 upload per day limit.)

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

"keen space" and "smack Jeeves" sound more serious to you?

Posted at

"keen space" and "smack Jeeves" sound more serious to you?

I would definitely say touche, but neither requires its name in your URL – for SJ it's http://yourcomic.thewebcomic.com and at KS it's http://yourcomic.comicgenesis.com.

That's why I was hoping DD offered a redirect too.

Am I missing a DD features list somewhere? I was also wondering about file size and type limits. For example, the above-mentioned sites support swf Flash files, and SJ allows up to 400k image sizes. How does DD compare?

P.S. Thanks for all the responses and for showing the "community" thing in action. That's something I hadn't considered.

Posted at

I chose DrunkDuck because it was the first place I came across.

Dan
Dan
Posted at

I was knocked unconscious and got deported to here.
Or was I kidnapped? I don't know.

Anyways, a friend of mine "kidnapped" me to here… been keeping an eye on it and decided to have a go at my own… which of course, got trashed. I learned a lot from this place, though. Plus, I love how you can just start on the comic right away without having to worry about the html coding.

Posted at

Am I missing a DD features list somewhere? I was also wondering about file size and type limits. For example, the above-mentioned sites support swf Flash files, and SJ allows up to 400k image sizes. How does DD compare?

You know, that's a good question. Features have been added though on a regular basis so we never had a specific list. If we did, it would have to be one that's constantly updated. (A feature list though is one of the things I hope to see on the Wikipedia article.) There are also things that us admins would do to try to foster a stronger community (right now we've been talking about contests for example. We're also offering free tables at Wizard World in LA for a DD comic creator alley if enough people are interested.)

File size we recommend 500k. And yes you can upload .swf. The other file formats you can upload include .jpg, .gif, and .png. Here's a casual list of some other features:

* Your layout can be customized
* You account is intergrated to the forums. (Although you probably know that already.)
* Unlimited uploading
* You can have as many comic series/types as you want. So if you click on some people's name and check out their profile, you'll see they may have more then one comic. We also don't delete comic accounts. We used to but not anymore.
* Favourites list for you to keep track of your favourite comic
* RSS feed
* Private Quack messaging system. Allows you to contact anyone who has an account.
* Categorize your comic
* Be an assistant to other people's comics
* Commenting system (unwanted comments can be reported and admins will remove it, no questions asked.) You can also choose to post as anonymous on other people's comics.
* Rating system (used to have more of an impact in terms of listing but now it's a FYI thing)

There's probably more but if you have a question, feel free to ask! You can also contact an admin if you have any concerns that you want to express privately. (Pick from one of five~ Volte6, Skoolmunkee, Ronson, SpANG, and me.)

If you're still unsure, you could always try out DD. We don't demand any exclusive content or that you stay only with us. Oh hell, if you want to just hang out at the forums, we're okay with that too. And if you're mirroring here, we won't mind. It's not as if we'll ask for your firstborn child or knock on your door at night to collect your thumbs. :D

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

It's not as if we'll ask for your firstborn child or knock on your door at night to collect your thumbs. :D

Wait, do you guys still collect souls? 'Cause, I'm beginning to miss mine. :(

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Liar, you never had one in the first place. Demon…

ProfessorF
ProfessorF
Posted at

It's user friendly, provides good looking templates that are easily customizable, and there's a great community here.

Other hosting sites I've tried have some, but not all, of those features going for them.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Liar, you never had one in the first place. Demon…

Hahahaha. Oh, yeah. That's right.

Zac
Zac
Posted at

I choose DrunkDuck because Keenspace was too complicated and too elite, Smackjeeves I tried for a while but it was waaay too disorganized, and Drunk Duck has the nicest people, so it's really a win win win situation.

I've learned a lot from people on here. It's a lot of fun!

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Someone recommended it back in 2004 on some other forums as a reliable place to host comics. Since then I've stopped doing my comics but I'm still working on art stuff.

…Though I will be collaborating with some people on a comic soon.

RHJunior
RHJunior
Posted at

Well, at ComicGenesis(formerly Keenspace), a disgruntled admin decided that I had abused my mod privileges on my own comic forums, and not only demodded me but threatened to delete all three of my comics. Arrangements with ComicGenesis had never been very satisfactory, anyway: crash problems, nonexistent archive and editing systems, cumbersome upload features, etc.— so I decided to go looking for another host before things got any worse.

Since signing up I've discovered that Drunk Duck is more streamlined, better arranged, has more intuitive user interfaces, and has dozens of automated features for comic creators that ComicGenesis never even thought of.

I am currently in the process of transferring my archives to Drunk Duck (bit of a slow process, that) and learning my way around the interfaces, so I've got a buttload of questions— but I already know that this is a massive improvement over my comicgenesis account.:D

Posted at

I was looking for a free spot to upload my comic (at this point it was ony a comic by name, there was no actual comic yet), I knew nothing about online comics, or good places to go to. So, I went to the vgcats faq page, and he recommended in there Drunk Duck, so to Drunk Duck I went.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose drunk duck everytime. The people are nice, the comics are good, it's a professional looking site (and while you might not think the name sounds professional, everybody knows it, and everyone knows the Duck's reputation, and that itself makes it professional), and I feel at home here.

When people ask for my comic, I give them my Drunk Duck URL rather than my website's URL because I'm more proud to have my comic here than on my crappy website.

WingNut
WingNut
Posted at

A professor of mine actually informed me about this site a year or so ago, and when I decided to do comics, this was the first place I checked.

Now, after a month and a half, I am amazed with the strong sense of community that is here. Within that time, I have met many people, with similar tastes and talents, my comic has been featured, (huge surprise there) and I'm planning on going to that convention come march.

Bit of a change in a month and a half I'd say. This place is awesome, and I intend to be a part of it for a long time. Sorry if that upsets anyone, but I'm here to stay. :D

AQua_ng
AQua_ng
Posted at

A canadian called Scott told me to. I'm being serious here. I looked at the FAQ of VG Cats and he mentions this place.

jgib99
jgib99
Posted at

I have my comic on both DD and Smackjeeves. And Drunk Duck is waaaay better. It's easier to manage your site here. And the community has been nothing but outstanding.

Posted at

I shopped around. DD was the easiest to manage, and at first I was a little dubious about hosting a semi-serious political cartoon on something called "druck duck".

I'm glad I got over that.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.