Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Wiki hates me :(

josif
josif
Posted at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messed_Up
yesterday I decided to make a Wiki article for my comic Messed Up, but today they've decided they're gonna delete it.
Why does Wiki hate me and what should I do to stop them killing my article?? :(

Ronson
Ronson
Posted at

You can't do much, except move your article over to Comixpedia. Wiki is on a mission to slim down their content to only mainstream subjects. My comic was on the chopping block a while back and may be again soon. Good luck.

qwerty
qwerty
Posted at

ILL SAY I MADE IT (THE PAGE THAT IS)

marine
marine
Posted at

ILL SAY I MADE IT (THE PAGE THAT IS)

No you won't. I'll go "improve" the article…

josif
josif
Posted at

No you won't. I'll go "improve" the article…
It looks the same what did you improve??

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

There are a bunch of wikipedia Nazis who think that they should be the judges of what is and is not important because they are nerds on computers and they know better. I once made a really nice Vindibudd page and they had a heart attack about it not being "noteworthy" or something. Then someone put my article on comixpedia and it wasn't me. So I was like whatever.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Hmm. Wikipedia isn't a good place for that sort of thing. It's somewhere that you go to find out about stuff… about general stuff… It's not another promotional tool. If I were you I'd put all that on Comixepedia or the wiki at comic genesis (if you have an account there). That way you can do what you like and you don't have to worry about Wikinazis ^^
The thing is, normal wiki users are all pretty much like that, none of them will really want to read about your comic there anyway. But Comixepedia IS somewhere where people WILL be interested, or at least not hostile… You can point your readers to your wiki there instead. ;)

-just copy and paste all that stuff, they uses the same kind of formatting.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

Hmm. Wikipedia isn't a good place for that sort of thing. It's somewhere that you go to find out about stuff… about general stuff… It's not another promotional tool.
Well, then, what would be the difference between that and a TV show? How about a fairly obsure TV show?

If it's all about notability, then why do they have regional-type things in there that nobody but a certain area would care about? Like this, or this jerk, or more granular than that, this person.

I mean, if wikipedia is supposed to be an online encycolpdeia, that everyone goes to for everything, then what's the difference?

Wikipedia cannot boast about being the source of all infomation and then be elitist. It's all or nothing. Sorry. ;)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Wow, that Cynthia woman looks old for her age…
I'm not defending the place SpANG ;) I'd agree that most Wiki people are a bit too full of themselves and are pretty much all hypocrites, but then so are all of us really, and a place like Wikipedia would turn anybody that way.
-You could nominate those articles for deletion you know, or whatever's the protocol there…?

Posted at

You know what I like about Wikipedia? They're deleting all of the webcomic articles on the entire site, but they have an article about the villain of Kirby: Canvas Curse.

Why? Because Wiki-nazis are stupid.

MKHSDC
MKHSDC
Posted at

They did the same thing to me… So I messed with their site really bad by editing a bunch of articles and then screwing with them. Pissed them off, now I'm blocked from editing… But I'll be back! We should start an assault and then rely on Answers.com for all the information we need! Or not, but I will!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yeah, now that's just moronic.

Terminal
Terminal
Posted at

Does anyone find it ironic that editors at Wikipedia are very elite, yet elite collage professors, scientists and other people smarter than us show disdain toward Wikipedia?

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

and other people smarter than us
No such people exist.

Oh wiki is useful (when there no morons messing things up). There's a lot of "newer" knowledge in there that hasn't made it to the standard print sources yet, there's info and obscure stuff that's hard to find elsewhere, and there's good info on popular social phenomena that you may be interested in and not know much about.

So it IS useful. but you can't actually use it for research because it's unreliable: Any idiot could have written the article. There is editorial oversight, but only from other users and they could be anybody! As well as that you have people adding entries about minor celebs, 4 month old webcomics, themselves, whatever you can think of, as well as snotty kids and trolls defacing things…

It's hardly surprising that some tend to doubt the veracity of the resource as a whole.

SpANG
SpANG
Posted at

(when there no morons messing things up). …
as well as snotty kids and trolls defacing things…
Yes, I can think of 2 morons right off the top of my head. Though they think they are 'original' and 'clever'. ;)

MKHSDC
MKHSDC
Posted at

Hey, I never said I was original nor clever!

Jimeth
Jimeth
Posted at

Well there's a difference between a member of parliament and a webcomic that one or two people know about. You can't realistically have everything that anyone wants to put on there. Nevertheless, the site is a great idea- It's just still in the refining process. These things take time and experimentation.

w_p_s
w_p_s
Posted at

Why would you care?
Seriously!

I never had a wikipedia article and you don't see me mutilating myself with toothpicks at night!

I never appeared in the newspaper either! Or in a magazine, or in the Torah!

Relax man!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.