Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

So guys where do yo do the bulk of your work? I got to thinking about this as every time someone comes over to my apartment I have to say "sorry for the mess" and feel like a total slob becuase I work in my living room. Even when I have more space I can't help but work in the living room AND on the floor. I mean I have a drafting table and I never use it! ah well. so I'm asking you guys to post a picture of your "studio space" and maybe give us a little commentary of the useful tools that are essential for you to work.

here's me
http://www.drunkduck.com/Bitch_O_Matic/gfx/studio.jpg

and yes that is a refrigerator in the lower right corner of the photo…a Swedish fridge!

Posted at

My studio is my entire house! …and my garden. Drawing for me is basically finding a spot where I feel I won't be disturbed and then leaning on my black sketch book. Very high tech.

Posted at

Whew, thanks for posting. I was worried I would get the "Lamest Forum Thread Evar" award.

Sounds cool, I like to chill when I draw too. I think it's why I like to work on the floor. I can just spread all my stuff out and grab it as i need it. toss things around…

evildemon
evildemon
Posted at

I draw in the random places I usually am, such as in my room, school, and friends houses. My room is a pigstye with papers and clothes everywhere, very small and I literally have the light switch on the ceiling.

marine
marine
Posted at

I live out of one room in my house, and all of penis is done either on my bed or in a chair at the foot of it. I use a DVD case or a video game box as my mouse pad, and just do everything digitally. I'd use a camera and take a picture of it (right now its GTA San Andreas for the PS2, one of the vintage M rated ones that probably has scandalous code in it) and I just use a cheap replacement mouse with a ball in it. Its not so good for drawing either.

In flash, I press a button that makes it so your lines don't go all jagged on you and everything you hold the mouse down for is what you draw. The artworks all done like that, and I try and make it have a "simplistic and crappy" look to it. Not like a "Oh my artwork is crappy" like I can't draw but an intentional "this has to look bad to achieve the desired crappy effect." At the same time, penis has to look good enough so that people will read it and like it. Its never enough for people though, so I'm thinking of getting one of those super video gamer PC mouses that do everything (like eight buttons on one I saw in a magazine) and have a nice grip on it, can part the red sea, let you do whatever a spider can, or just do anything that a dues ex machina character like Superman can do.

Renee Katz
Renee Katz
Posted at

Yeah, I draw in my room. It's the only place where all my pens and stuff are and where I won't be distracted. I wish it was more organized, though.

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

Usually wherever I have my gear is my studio. I like to draw in my living room on my couch with my laptop but I draw just as much at my desk at work with no music except what's in my head. I've gotten comfortable inking and coloring at my work desk, which is really cool!

Posted at

Marine> From the way you draw you may want to consider a track ball mouse. The ball is on the outside, and you move that, rather than the whole mouse.

BTW it is so tough for me not to take bits of your post and laugh at them out of context.

marine
marine
Posted at

Well I do a lot of double talk. I could almost put together random quotes from myself and just post those instead of actual posts, and more or less do the same content in my posts.

Course I do a lot of jibber jabber.

I've been experimenting with a laptop I got. Its got one of those touch pad things you use your fingers on, and its given me some really off the wall bad drawings to use.

djcoffman
djcoffman
Posted at

Here's my new office when I just moved in:

And my new tiki lounge at Xmas time, complete with our Xmas palm tree because we are tiki nerds.

Memmy
Memmy
Posted at

I do lots of my drawings in front of my computer. I cant seem to do most artwork without having a computer nearby… I'm odd.

Ocka
Ocka
Posted at

I draw mainly in front of my PC… I get a good vibe from it. However, I will happily take my sketchbook anywhere to draw (even the restroom, which I did). Oh but I will not draw outside…the sun burns my eyes and skin :neenjah:

I plan to put a drafting table and light box in my room so I can draw in there with a shut door . >.>

Fitz
Fitz
Posted at

I draw either in my living room or in front of the puter in my bedroom. I prefer the former. More space, and it's brighter during the day. But sometimes I have to rely on photos of what things look like to draw them properly, so I have to check them on the puter. I'm too lazy to print them all out ;) Working at the puter causes less mess - because as soon as I'm done drawing and scanning, I put the sketches in a neat pile and take them away to the living room :P

Posted at

Well I live in a small cramped army barracks room with one other guy. They give you all your furniture…but no desk.

I had to go out and buy one at wal-mart for like 100$, but now its so cramped like the rest of my room its funny. I have my computer,scanner,lamp, and drawing space all smashed onto this little wooden plank.

The desk was missing about 50% of its parts out of the box. So me and my roomate (mostly him) rigged it togther with duck tape and a healthy dose of hope keeps it holding together.

Posted at

I have a drafting table but I almost always end up drawing on the couch down stairs. xD;
My room is technically "my studio" I guess because my filing cabinet, computer, desk, art supplies, comic books, and music are all up there. I have a picture but its over a year old and doesn't show the awesome that is my "Almost Wall of Manga" book shelf or the kick arse Vgcats poster I got at CTcon. :3 So I'll take a picture later.

Oh, another reason why I call my room my studio: It used to be my parent's room before we added onto the house so it has its own private bathroom attached to it, it kind of built like a loft so I can still hear everything in the house, and its close to the kitchen and the yummy snacks it holds. >3

Puff
Puff
Posted at

On my bed, laying on my back, using my knees as a table and my sketch book as the smoothe surface. Pretty ghetto, but it's got the best lighting in my house. Man it's like a tomb in here. @_@

Posted at

Well, I still live with my mother (I'm 17, so that's okay! XD) so my studio is my bedroom. x3 It's a small thing heavily decorated with anime posters, my prized possessions being my PS2, Wii, PC, printer/scanner/photocopier combo, tablet, loud speakers, iPod, and my lovely lovely BED. XD I prefer to draw in my room, where I can sit and scribble underneath my bright-as-hell lamp so I can see everything I'm doing, and I have my tablet right next to me for when I want to do digital arts. It's a very cozy place and I love it. x3

Posted at

ReincarnatedParano> NO worries I lived with my mom until i was 23!

wow DJ your studio is bad assed! seriously, I wanna draw at the tiki bar!

D0m
D0m
Posted at

I feel odd for being slightly more conventional.

If I draw with pencil and paper, it's usually on my basement floor (never the bed, I hate it). Everything else is done in front of the computer in the basement. :-)

Vindibudd
Vindibudd
Posted at

I am between permanent residences so right now I draw on a tv tray that is between two twin beds in the guest room of my family's house. I also have this weird roll around table that has the scanner on it. My vindicasts are done on my macbook using the built in cam and all the work is colored on that as well.

Ah, who am I kidding, I have a limestone cave under my house in Orlando with multiple television panels, computers, lava lamps, and a satellite tracking station. There is also a retractable dome on my cave, under my house.

Eiichiro
Eiichiro
Posted at

Well, I used to always draw on the floor. But for my current stuff, since I don't have access to a scanner… it's always been just me sitting at my computer desk fumbling around with the mouse to get the little black and white squares on MSPaint to look like something…

Alternatively, when I'm not at home (I tend to stay at various places for extended periods of time) I just use any available computer. Once I get my hands on a Tablet, it'll probably be on a couch or something (though anywhere is good).

junoblairb
junoblairb
Posted at

I actually made a topic a while back about how your workspace affected your art. If anyone remembers that thread I finally moved! Thank god, I'm out of the clutter.

These are my two workstations - the one for art which is the hardcore Mac and then my PC which just got retired to only doing my music.

Hence, here's my KORG Triton LE and my POS acoustic/electric guitar that I can't play worth a darn. And my cute little lantern lights!

The room is pretty small so it was hard to get a good pic.

Taken with my phone because I'm lame like that. ^_^

TheMidge28
TheMidge28
Posted at

Well I work full time in an office building and do most of my drawing at work at my desk.
Most of the materials I use are cheap, like color pencils and office supplies.
I have used a dry erase marker a number of times for coloring.
When I come home I have an 8 month old waiting for me so drawing at home is nearly impossible.
I do have a room at home which the walls have been painted caution yellow which I chose and had intended to be my studio but as the baby came 8 months ago not much going in here apart from scanning and working on the computer with DD.
I don't have photoshop like a lot of you probably have and I use the the paint program that comes with the computer.

What can I say…I am jealous of all the photos of the really nifty(I said "nifty") studios!!!

Rori
Rori
Posted at

I've found I'm more creative and productive now that I have a dedicated place for my art to take form (even if I end up sketching on the couch). It's good to have a place for it, in a way, you get to show your respect for what you do, it makes it feel like more than a hobby. (I know not everyone can do that, but it's really nice when you can.)
I'll post a pic when I get home.

One of my instructors said that his working space reflected the journey of his art, starting, literally, in the closet, to the den, spare room and now at the front of his house. He also said it's a good idea to get dressed for work instead of just drawing in your underwear. I agree with him, yet don't follow his advice :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.