Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The new site layout- Not what I was promised

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I was told repeatedly that the new site layout would not affect the layout of my comic pages by removing my links, background image, adverts etc.
It would appear it has done all of these things.
I can't help but feel a little annoyed that I was basically just being fobbed off and my concerns were not really being listened to.

Anubis
Anubis
Posted at

I am not very happy with how things were done either….. they ended up warning us on getsatisfaction  but still   the new system is very uhhhhh basic.  They promice us that they will be making it better  so it is up to us to make sure they keep their word

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I thought the point of the changes was to make things better?
Everything seems to be in a mess.
I havn't seen any improvements so far. The pages don't seem to load quicker (they are still snails pace slow) and I cant see any new features otehr than this whole "like" thing.
I wish they hadn't given me false expectations. If they were going to screw up my comic layout, they should have just told me so, rather then giving me false security.
Why promise the moon when you cant deliver?

gene hole
gene hole
Posted at

didn't much care for the shrinkage my comic pages received, either.  now some of the text is nigh illegible. 

zammap
zammap
Posted at

I didn't get sny shrinking (I guess my comic pages are okay size for them) nor any loss in quility (I used png).
the page layout pisses me off. I want my homepage with the random info junk on the side
>:O
But things are loading faster for me. everything used to be so snail on the old one.
Also why are the forums hidden alll the way on the bottom of the page?

Posted at

I'm sure they will let us have more flexibility when they can.  Without even the ability to put our own stuff into sidebars, let alone design our whole page like most people are used to doing, they are going to have a huge uproar.   
What I'm more disappointed about myself is that so much stuff is not changed.  The site's navigational changes are purely cosmetic for the most part.  When I view my comic now I can go to "create a new comic" or "activate layout mode" which is nice, but not something I use except for rare occasions.  It's not every day I need to redesign my site or create a new comic all together.  But to complete a daily task like simply uploading a page, I still have to go control panel, find my comic, click edit, go to pages, add new page, blah blah.      

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

WinterLegend wrote:
I'm sure they will let us have more flexibility when they can.  Without even the ability to put our own stuff into sidebars, let alone design our whole page like most people are used to doing, they are going to have a huge uproar.   
What I'm more disappointed about myself is that so much stuff is not changed.  The site's navigational changes are purely cosmetic for the most part.  When I view my comic now I can go to "create a new comic" or "activate layout mode" which is nice, but not something I use except for rare occasions.  It's not every day I need to redesign my site or create a new comic all together.  But to complete a daily task like simply uploading a page, I still have to go control panel, find my comic, click edit, go to pages, add new page, blah blah.
Heh, Keep dreaming, They said they were going to be doing a Drag-and-Drop deal for the customization. Now, that is going to be much harder to implement than allowing us to upload an HTML file and a CSS file and just making sure it's secure.
I guess you could say the more things change the more they stay the same.

Posted at

eventually something will be done, there's too many people peeved.
but if you want to see an example of how the current stuff works, take a peek at my (abraham's) comic, (just full of testing stuff right now)

dcole
dcole
Posted at

I'm fine with the loss of layout, personally. I was told and I didn't listen - my bad.
What does bug me, however, are the ads on our pages. They're in the prime spots that I would place my PW ads in. Now, once HTML editing comes back online, I have to find a way to squeeze my ad-space onto my page.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

I'm mostly shocked at the compression on the pages. I wasn't really keeping up so this took me by surprise. My files were not huge to begin with (like 320kb each)
I was promised ugly eyestrain abomination forums so they delivered on that front.

Posted at

Skullbie wrote:
I'm mostly shocked at the compression on the pages. I wasn't really keeping up so this took me by surprise. My files were not huge to begin with (like 320kb each)
I was promised ugly eyestrain abomination forums so they delivered on that front.

The image compression was not supposed to happen and they are looking into it.
WinterLegendwrote:
But to complete a daily task like simply uploading a page, I still have to go control panel, find my comic, click edit, go to pages, add new page, blah blah.

Well, not quite. If you're on a page like the forums, you can expand "my comics" in the sidebar on the right there, and click "edit" you'll go to your comic's control panel, so… that's not really any fewer clicks, is it?

Still, they're actively working on adding new features, and an "upload new page" button in the topbar if you're looking at your own comic is a good idea.

MrHades
MrHades
Posted at

I was looking forward to bring able to reply directly to readers comments, but I think that feature is either yet to be implemented or it's not happening.

Posted at

You can do that at comicfury too. The only thing CF doesn't have that this one did/does are comic spedific forums which are planned to be implemented.

Posted at

Yeah, I don't really want to go to drunkduck's homepage instead of my comic just to get me one or two less clicks to get to uploading.
Threaded comments would be nice, yeah.  But I can understand if they don't have the manpower to put that through and moderate it yet, since it would be a really big thing.

Posted at

MrHades wrote:
I was looking forward to bring able to reply directly to readers comments, but I think that feature is either yet to be implemented or it's not happening.
They've planned this since the very early days, but since it wasn't necessary for the site launch they haven't done it yet. So, it's one of their planned features.

Posted at

I can't use my "mouse hover-switch to animated gif-navigation button" trick… I'm a little disappointed. Oh well. 

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.