Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

I'm rearranging the forums, don't freak out

Posted at

For a long time now we've felt like there were too many forums and were getting a bit disorganized. With the new site I'm taking the opportunity to arrange things the way we've planned for some time now (years…). I've been told the programmer was going to do it, but I'd rather just do it now myself (who knows how long I'd wait with the bugs?) and get it done and maybe free him up to do more important things!
Mostly the related forums have been grouped into one larger topic- for example the Media Megaforum for all media stuff (rather than 4 separate smaller less busy ones). Mods should still be in more or less their right places but tell me if I forgot one.
However one thing I failed to notice was that I CANT MOVE THREADS yet. I'm begging for this now, but in the meantime, the old forums are still available (scroll down into the "other" section) so if you want to keep posting there, then do so, but I think some of them are wonky out of order threadwise. I don't think it will be too much trouble for people just to post new threads in the appropriate places. HOWEVER we'll be missing a couple of rules threads until I can move them, like the old HELWID stuff- so if the mods want to copy/paste or recreate those threads in their new homes it might be a good idea!
Anyway it doesn't seem like much more chaos on top of the current chaos, so… but sorry if it is. :I

Ice 9
Ice 9
Posted at

Is the "look what I did" Forum merging with the "Hello" Forum?
You're totaly on the right track with reorganising. It's just going to take some time fore me to get used to it.

Luminous
Luminous
Posted at

I like the new reorganization. It looks a lot better, less scattered and spread out. At first I thought it was a little odd to combine HELWID and Hello/Goodbye, but it really makes sense, actually. Forum's lookin' good :D

Posted at

Yup, merging Hello and HELWID is the plan. :] Hopefully it's manageable, but many people would end up posting in both places, so.

Most of the subforums really weren't busy enough on their own, so hopefully combining them will keep things moving. Some of them it was a little confusing about where to post in the first place. And it was silly having so many different help forums, we got lots of redundant topics there. So hopefully it's a little more oganized this way. :]

Posted at

Just to make this clear, you can still talk about all the same stuff! We just condensed some forums so the overall forum list isn't so long and disorganized. So rather than a whole forum for video games (which didn't see a lot of action) it's now just part of the Media Megaforum.

Posted at

I Am The 1337 Master wrote:
 I disagree with that one, being both get frequent new topics in them, but I agree with rearranging them.
OK, let's talk about it. :]
Our reasoning for merging them was that it seemed kinda artificial and almost silly to tell people they could introduce themselves in one place but their projects in another. It seemed more natural to have that in the same place.
Also it seemed (to me anyway, dunno about Oz) that in hello/goodbye, people would show up, stay for a couple of posts, and then not come back most of the time. So combining those two forums might be a way to build in a little more "engagement" and mix the new people in with more old people, and also have some stuff the new people could go look at right there.
What do you think?

Posted at

Yup, we'll have to see how the new forums work out. Tips, Tricks and Comic Talk already has a load of stickies going on so that forum might end up being TOO broad. It's difficult to separate that one out though, people were always posting the same type of topics in both places before.

Just to make sure THIS is clarified too, but I do intend to move most of the recent two or three pages worth of threads out of the "going away" forums (when I can do that) to get them in the new places. So it's not like we're tossing all the old stuff away.

Posted at

I guess this means I'm really gonna have to pay more attention to that meet/greet/etc section, then, now that I'm co-moderating it.
…not that I'm actually capable of doing much moderating a.t.m.

Posted at

I expect that some of the moderators may want a reassignment. :] You may also agree amongst yourselves to take care of certain things in the forums, like you want to stick with the helwid type stuff. Unless you're saying you've somehow magically become a mod there, in which case I made a mistake. :I

I should have checked whether I could move threads before I started changing things around, but too late now. As soon as I get that ability I'll be able to move relevant stuff around pretty quickly I hope. For now it's ok to remake old topics in the new forums and so on if you don't want to wait for something to move!

I think we also need to figure out where the "Comment on the ____ of the person above you" threads should go, I'm not sure they're comic discussion in all cases (one seems particularly HELWID). But maybe we should leave that to the mods, when I can get you your powers back?

However, now that I can make new forums and stuff now…. how about that Mafia subforum? Maybe I should wait a little while. :] 

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.