Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The Anti-Blog

Posted at

I pretty much hate the term “blog”. Yes, I realize the irony as I am currently writing a blog-like thing. But I do hate the term. I hate its made-up-ed-ness. I hate the way it sounds and I hate its prevalence in current lexicon.

But mostly I hate its misuse and overuse.

As far as I can determine, ‘blog” stands for Web Log. It’s one of those mashed together phrases commonly associated with celebrity couples. You know, like “Benifer” or “Brangelina”. Although I hate cutesy celebrity couple names far more than I hate the term blog.

Now everything is described as a blog. If it is on the web it is a blog. Every story, every set of links, every message board post is now a blog.

I was recently asked if I blog (see it is also a verb). I said no, but told the person that I maintain a website with stories and columns as well as post on a message board.

“So you do blog,” he said.

To me a blog is a ‘web log’, i.e. some form of on-line journal or diary. To me it is an internet only term, but somehow it has been incorporated to mean any short piece of writing.

One of my local newspapers carries a ‘blog’ in their print edition. Isn’t that counter intuitive to what a blog really is? Can something that is a WEB LOG appear in print?

How soon before novels become “extended blogs”? How soon before comic books become “sequential blogs”? Enough is enough.

I think what bothers me most is the trendiness and overuse of the term. It is like extreme, platinum or anything with a lowercase “i” before it. Does everything new have to be extreme? Does anything new and improved have to be upgraded to platinum status? Is new and improved not good enough.

Worst of all is the “i” craze. Anything electronic is an iSomething now. It doesn’t even matter if it is made by Apple or not. If it can be turned on and has some small amount of electricity running through it, then by all means, slap a lower case “i” before it.

Blog has become so popular that it is a noun and a verb. You can read a blog or you can just blog it yourself. Shouldn’t you write a blog? I guess we are so lazy we needed to cut out two syllables. We make time to write our blogs by making it easier to say that we are going to write our blogs. That .5 second you save by eliminating “write my” is the difference between a successful and unproductive day.

I do have to run. I have a blog to update. I’ll probably do so on my iBook I bought with my Platinum Visa and is loaded with the Platinum addition of AOL. I’ll probably eat some extreme Doritos as I watch the episode of Extreme Championship Wrestling that I downloaded to my iPod via iTunes.

Posted at

My favorite made up metal song names are
"Show me your tits"
and
"I hate puppies, because satan hates puppies, and I hate whatever satan hates."

My made up metal band's name is Blood of the Innocent

Posted at

Wow, Blood of the Innocent is an awesome name.

Thanks for the kind words.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.