This would be the thread for your thoughts and opinions about:

1. The plot/story (in general)
2. The artwork
3. The events/art of specific pages
4. Specific characters
5. Anything else you'd like to add, positive or otherwise
6. Ways to improve Due East

Posted at

I'm anxious to see the new color pages. The sample you put up was nicely done, but as I said on that page, I'll be sad to say goodbye to your great pencil shading. I hope you'll be able to get the same full bodied feeling with the markers.

But I also think that with your already developed skill and instinct in shading, that it'll only be a matter of time working with the markers until you really get a feel for them and we'll be seeing just as amazing work, only in color. :D

As for the plot and characters. I think one of the things that I enjoy the most about Due East is the reality of it all. I see so many comics that are based so far out of reality. And I do like them, I love them in fact. But its refreshing for me to read a real down to earth drama. Your characters are all human, and it comes across, none of them are an idealized, or an exaggerated personality. They're easy to related to.

As I mentioned in the other thread though, I would like to see Doug come out a bit more.
The little glimpse I had of Carolyn's family also makes me wonder if we'll be seeing more of them. I get the feeling her brother is a real handful.

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

My goal as an artist is to convey just as much in the colored pages as was shown in the shaded pages. I've been shading with pencils for a loooonnnnng time, so this is a major adjustment to me – but I do see that color adds a dimension to the comic, just as shading adds a dimension. We'll just have to see what happens!

And concerning Carolyn's family: yes, you will see more of them, starting with Book Three.

Concerning Doug: Expect to see some major developments with Doug over the next few books.

TitanOne
TitanOne
Posted at

I'm anxious to see the new color pages. The sample you put up was nicely done, but as I said on that page, I'll be sad to say goodbye to your great pencil shading. I hope you'll be able to get the same full bodied feeling with the markers.

But I also think that with your already developed skill and instinct in shading, that it'll only be a matter of time working with the markers until you really get a feel for them and we'll be seeing just as amazing work, only in color. :D

I'm assistant to Allen on the strip, and trust me, the colors will not take away from his "full-bodied feeling". His color effects are handicrafted and unique in appearance, and they add a lot of visual excitement to the scenes with his characters. What I have seen of the new pages looks great!

full_armor
full_armor
Posted at

Ditto that, Titan_One. You and Allen have truly made a great team with the coloring!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.