Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

The Anatomy of a Reva picture

Posted at

A few people have asked me how the comic's done, complimenting my art skills (heh) well, as I say, I'm not the artist. I'm the writer/world/story/everything else designer for the comic which is based on the novel Fate's Hand, or rather the world I designed as a backdrop for that.

Reva Flynn (Hellion) aka my wife, she's the artist and has been a professional illustrator now for a good number of years.

You can see her gallery at http://www.hellionsart.com

Reva begins with a pencil rough of the page, then once that's approved she'll move on to an outline and inking stage. She uses PILOT Hi-Tecpoint V7 fine pens when she's inking/cross-hatching.

Whilst I can't show you the change from a comic page to finished page, I can show you the kind of change from an outlined ink to a finished ink…via these two pictures here.

And this becomes:

Reva's inking skill is often mistaken for mad pencil work, she loves to cross-hatch and her primary skill is in that area. Her attention to detail on backgrounds and her love of drawing horses can be seen in a lot of the Wyrden comic panels where you're looking at the life around Sullavale Port or extended street scenes. Personally, I can't wait to see what she does with the City of Wyrden itself.

Until next time!

Adam Black
Adam Black
Posted at

Chalk me up as one of the people who thought this was all pencil work. I think it was the color of the scans that fooled me.

I wouldn't mind seeing larger versions of the "before and after" art above. :D

Took a quick jaunt over to the gallery, and it was great! I love Gill's hand, especially with the inks. Delicate but confident–has a similar feel to Yoshitaka Amano's work.

The line work, I mean, not necessarily the colors. Those remind me of someone else, but I can't put my finger on who right now–I just woke up. ;)

All in all, though (and I may not be making myself clear this early in the morning), great work! I love it.

Posted at

Amazing! I love before and after pictures, so this is a treat for me.

Also, though I love the black-and-white feel of Wyrden, I think some color shots now again, maybe just pictures to go alongside the main story, like your character cards, would be awesome. Especially after looking through Reva's gallery. She's a brilliant artist!

Reva Flynn
Reva Flynn
Posted at

Thankyou both for your compliments re my art:) I am doing a fair amount of colour stuff atm for a Card Game and a childrens book about Pagan stories and I am really looking forward to showing those off as I am quite proud of them:)

Adam Black
Adam Black
Posted at

Thanks for the larger versions! Good stuff. :D

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.