Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Do Nymus Lay Eggs? (and other inappropriate questions)

Posted at

Apparently, I have too much time to ponder the mysteries of Harkovast. Specifically birds and bees related mysteries.

So, Do Nymus Lay eggs? How about Tsung-Dao? Do Darsai have a litter of cubs? Are large clutches or litters the norm or do they usually have singular offspring at one time? Is there a special, perhaps magical relationship between offspring born at the same time (can twins "sense" each other)? Is marriage something that Harkovastians (is that right?) bother with? Are some of the races much longer lived then the others? Are lifespans similar to human lifespans?

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but that's it for now.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

That is a lot of questions.
All very valid questions but there are a lot of them.
So I will do a few at a time.

Nymus lay eggs, so do Tsung-Dao.
Nymus are not very maternal and tend to have people paid specifically to incumbate the eggs, hatch them and do a lot of the day to day care of the children in large nurseries.
The Nymus are not uncaring of their young (they consider the naked, blind squawking creatures that hatch from the eggs to be adorable) but they just don't mind delegating responsibility to another with regard to child care.

Tsung-Dao are very communal, so the whole community chips in with child/egg care. It is far more about sharing responsibility and joining in to help each other then the Nymus and their delegation of responsibility.

Life spans are generally about the same as human life spans, with all races having about the same life expectancy ( though health care and life style can make this vary a lot. The harsh life of a Junlock is likely to make for a shorter, tougher life then a Nymus would have growing up in one of their well maintained cities.)

Marriage varies from race to race in terms of how important it is to their culture and how they view premarital sex, I will have to right out a list to cover them all.

Phew! I'll go over this in more detail in the future and add in more information to this bit, so stay tuned.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

With regard to how many kids races have, mostly they have just one child as humans do, but the idea of Darsai (or indeed some of the other races) always having twins or triplets appeals to me.
Also the idea that there might be a connection between them fits rather well with the magical nature of Harkovastians (yes that is right. The language they speak to also called Harkovastian, though that is a topic for another thread.)
I will have to ponder this issue…
It should be noted that not every single detail of the Harkovast world has been planned out (shock horror!) and somethings I do decide on as questions arise or as ideas strike me.
A world is infinitely complex, and since I am only finite, gaps in my thinking are inevitable!

Posted at

I'm sure you don't have every single element figured out, I'm just giving you a hand developing depth. That and making a general nuisance of myself.

I always liked the idea of twins being in tune with each other. It could add an interesting aspect to the story if one of the characters had a twin, especially if they had a magical connection from birth. Maybe not be able to communicate non-verbally, but if they had an empathic link. If they could sense when the other was agitated or in danger. They probably wouldn't have a gps ability to locate each other, but maybe a vague sense of how far away the other was. Loyalty to ones brethren may supersede loyalty to ones country, and may add difficult, if not impossible choices for one of the characters. It may have devastating effects on one if the other should happen to die, or maybe their link can be so strong sometimes that if one dies the other soon followed.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I can think of ways in which that concept could come heavily into play during Book 2. Hmmmm, time to put on my ponder hat.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Zadakine are an interesting race.
They have litters of loads of kids, (like 4-6) all in one go.
For this reason the females usually only breed once and do so quite early in their lives. This means that they get all the child rearing out of the way relatively early so they can get back to important business of increasing their power, wealth and influence.
Zadakine society is very matriarchal but also very maternal, with looking out for ones offspring being seen as vitally important (hence amassing wealth and power, to give your kids security). I came up with the idea of having litters all at once to allow the women to be maternal but still find time to run the Alliance.

Posted at

I have a puzzler for you! How, and do, the gods reproduce? Surely they are not unkillable, or COMPLETELY immortal. In a world with magic, anything can be done if one is determined enough, has the skills and knowledge, and is in the right place at the right time. So. How would they continue? Would they just load to the last save?

Posted at

I don't know CC. Thane just sorta willed himself into existence. If you killed him wouldn't he just will himself back? Cuz that's how awesome he is. Thane also willed Hevalla into existence, so I guess that makes her his daughter. Of course, Thane later married her. Hmmm…family structure of gods is weird. Rremind me never to point that out to any Darsai that I happen to meet.

RED_NED
RED_NED
Posted at

Hahah, telling a Darsai that Thane is an illogical and incestious wierdo would probably lead to a cry of "Huzzah!" followed by some swift chippy choppy action methinks!

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Where do the gods come from?
A good question, but one that would depend on your religion!
As others have mentioned, the Darsai are pretty certain where Thane came from (but other followers of Thane disagree with them on this.)

Here is what the Nymus believe-
The Gods of Shaldemos (Nymus and Ivos gods) are believed to have over thrown an older pantheon of gods who ruled before them (who in turn over threw older gods before them.)
I'll confess I have not worked out what the older pantheon was like, but they were far less organised and effective and allowed the universe to get into a terrible state, with demons and monsters running amok.
Korvetor cast them out and established a new order to bring everything back under control.
Some of the gods (Tahpesh and Nylana) were very keen to pursue all out war against the demon forces that the older gods had allowed to run free.
Korvetor is a clever, but selfish god and was content that if the demons were kept in check there was no need to destroy them utterly. Tahpesh and Nylana would not tolerate the demons continued predation on their beloved people and so made war against the demons.
Other gods sent them support (Epsil made weapons for their army) but did not directly take part in the fighting.
At the hieght of the battle, Tahpesh was struck down by the Demon Sha-Na-Teth, known as The Lie Made Flesh, using a poisoned sword.
Tahpesh's priesthood fought to the death to defend her body and sacred sword from the demonic hordes and all of them were killed and the scared sword was stolen.
Korvetor soon realised what had happened and was outraged! the order of his universe had been flung into chaos once more! The pantheon of gods was now out of alignment and this drove the death god into a terrible rage.
When he unleashed his power, the demon army was decimated, the lesser demons turning pale and collapsing dead in vast heaps.
The greater demons realised that they had pushed the king of the gods too far and tried to flee.
Korvetor then unleashed Lungoss to hunt down and destroy the demonic leaders. Those that were not caught and slain, fled back to their own hellish realms were they would remain trapped, fearing to enter Korvetor's domain again.
The universe was still in a state of disorder.
Korvetor held a council with the other gods to discuss what was to be done.
Epsil constructed a fantastical mechanical construct (the divine machine) to try and take Tahpesh's place, but this was at best a stop gap measure.
Without a god of steel, the pantheon could not retain order.
But as even the gods themselves began to despair, Nylana went forth into the realm of the demon lords, facing terrible perils and recovered Tahpesh's sword.
With this item found, Lungoss called on Keslus, goddess of light, who recreated Tahpesh, restoring order once more.
Epsil was ordered to destroy the divine machine, but was so sad to destroy her beautiful creation that she instead buried it away under the sands of a great desert, where it is said to rest to this day, until the gods need it once more.
Korvetor was grudgingly pleased with what Tahpesh and Nylana had done. The demons were beaten and order had been achieved. But seeing how close the universe had come to disaster he commanded that the gods restrain their activities in future, and let mortals deal with their own affairs with only subtle meddling from the pantheon. There was no way he was going to allow the gods to risk their own lives (and by extention his perfectly ordered universe) for the sake of some puny mortals!
Many of the gods objected to abandoning their followers. Korvetor finally relented and allowed the gods to teach a small part of their magic to the mortal races, for a vast ransom of gold, with whcih the gods built their fortress atop mount Shaldemos (Korvetor was not going to give away his magic for free after all!)

Ivos tell as very similar story, with the following changes-
All the parts taken by Nylana are taken by Bol instead.
Also the Ivos view themselves as the chosen people the gods are trying to protect.
Finally and obviously, the Ivos portray all the gods in that story as looking like Ivos, not Nymus!

Posted at

Demons should return, I am thinking. And suspecting!

Also… Elder Gods? OH NO!

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Well that depends on whether you subscribe to the Nymus or Darsai religions.
I'll have to get on to what the Tsung-Dao believe, their religion is very odd!

Posted at

Waitaminute! I thought this was a birds and the bees thread! Post how the Tsung-Dao do the nasty in here. Post Tsung-Dao religions under their own topic! This one's mine!

Sorry, my therapist tells me I have to learn how to share. Says I never got passed the "mine" stage as a toddler.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Word weaver, you are quite right! I will move the gods discussion to the religions section.
I was just answering questions as they came up, but we do need to keep organised around here.

D_Dude
D_Dude
Posted at

I'm not entirely sure, but this seemed like the proper place for this: Can Darsai see in the dark? Or do they have an incredible sense of smell? (compared to humans that is)
I think it seems logical, since the nymus have wings, and the Tsung-Dao have natural armour.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Yes, Darsai do have superior night vision (though they cannot see in complete darkness.)
Do cats have great sense of smell? I know its better then humans but I dont think its really really exception by animal standards.
Certainly cainines do, so Junlocks have a very keen sense of smell as do Ano-chee.
I think Chen-Chen would argue that Darsai have enough smell already!

RED_NED
RED_NED
Posted at

A quick bout of google-fu shows that a cat has 14 times the sense of smell as a human. Doggy Woggies have 20 times the number 'primary receptor cells' as humans.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Well, you can prove anything with facts, can't you?

Seriously though, I dont really want Darsai to have an extra amazing sense of smell.
So they don't!
Kapow!

After all, they aren't cats, they are Darsai.
Besides, night vision and energy swords should be enough for anyone!

Snowhunter
Snowhunter
Posted at

In one of my cat books I found that cats can see 12 times better in the dark than humans can.

Snowhunter
Snowhunter
Posted at

I have a question that I think relates to this thread. If a nNymus or a Tsung-Dao were the mother and one of the mamalial races was the father would the young still come from an egg or would there be a live birth?

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

That's a really great question.
The mother would give birth in the way her usual way.
So a darsai woman would give live birth to a Tsung-dao looking baby, while a Tsung-Dao mother would lay an egg which would hatch into a Darsai child.
In the case of egg laying species giving birth to a none egg laying species, the child might need additional assistance to get out of an egg, as it would have the instinct but not necessarily the tools (ie no beak!)

Snowhunter
Snowhunter
Posted at

A chick usually has an egg toth that falls off later perhaps with some of the mamals nature would take a different course and give them egg claws instead?

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

The mammal baby would get no additional clawsoutside of what its race normally has.
The parents of the child would hear it tapping and help breka it out though (as any egg laying parent would do if their child seemed to be struggling.)

Posted at

is there any real difference between any of the mammal and the other species other than appearance, besides nemmus wings.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

There are a lot of unique physical features of different races (Darsai night vision, Junlock sense of smell, Junlocks and Tsung-Dao being bigger and stronger, to name a few!)
However, the Tsung-Dao's reptilian nature does have specific effects.
While not entirely cold blooded, the Tsung-Dao have a more limited ability to maintain their body temperature compared to most other races.
This means they suffer more in extremely cold conditions.
They are also more vulnerable to very hot conditions, but the difference is less pronounced.
This is also true of the Brorg-Dao.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.