Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

THE PRIME DIRECTIVE and other general topics

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Yup, I've added yet another thread to confuse potential new contributors! :D

This one's about general topics we'd like to cover throughout the series. This should be kept apart from stories and story arcs.

An example for what I'd call a general topic: Let's find out how someone ripped from their time gets along in another timeline, and how their linking up with a team of superheroes helps or doesn't help them cope with it (that would be Titan, as I see the character).

In this thread we should both collect these topics so we don't lose track of them, as well as collect individual opinions on how these should be developed.

————————————

My first question, going out to everyone who has a character on the HA team, would be:

How would your character feel about either upholding or abusing a "prime directive" - meaning, the idea that HA should (or should not) interfere with internal affairs (of certain countries, organizations, or what have you). Say, if Bombshell were to use some of the team's manpower to support a coup in a third-world-country, would your characters be violently opposed to this, even if it would result in that country's government being transformed from a dictatorship into a democracy? How far would your character go in supporting these sorts of morally questionable things? In his/her mind, is HA just there to help out people in short-term need (rescue victims of disasters, thwart villainous plots)? Or rather consider long-term needs as well (political/social structures)? In the long run, this might evolve into something akin to Marvel's Civil War (provided we'll have a "long run" :P).

Posted at

For Peligroso, I think he'd be for interfering with internal affairs since he's very distrustful of governments and all the shady deals they do, And he'd prolly be on the front lines in this sort of situation, going out to physically fight for the innocent.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

The way I see it Azumorph would not get himself involved in political conflicts. He doesn't want to get in trouble with anybody. He prefers to focus on bigger threats such as alien invasions or killer satellites.

However, one person who would be all over conflicts like this would be JOD. He recruits half his minions from nations who have grown disillusioned with their government. He'll might even so far as to join and fund a rebellion, if he'll get more minions or something valuable in the end.

Nepath
Nepath
Posted at

Titan's perspective is a simple one - she knows exactly why she was sent back and for her she is just playing a waiting game until that time arrives. She would not get too involved in great historical moments (like sitting out of the battle with Deuce) but needs to establish herself in the hero community.

Posted at

Imp holds civil rights and liberties very highly due to his African-American background (under the costume of course :P). Also he's a loudmouth so he would not hesitate in calling out/facing a dictator he disagrees with.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Thanks for your input so far!

I should add another related question: How would this issue influence team dynamics? Say, there's a controversial decision to be made, and some are for and others against it. We haven't really established a clear hierarchy on our team, so how would we go about in deciding controversial issues?

As for Bombshell, I'm pretty sure that if she thought a specific action were necessary, she'd go through with it, no matter what others say. But she also wouldn't sacrifice the team's integrity (which she may benefit from in the long run) on a whim. She may view herself as one of the team's leading tacticians, and would treat the team as a means to her own ends; however, I don't see her taking a leader stance. And I also don't see how the other team members could completely entrust her with the role of leader. While she may be (1) an HU founding member, (2) have good ties to the Commander, and (3) may have led some team missions in the past, her motives must seem shady and her methods questionable.

Just like Shell, who's behaved rather distant so far, I don't see her taking the role of a leader. Relik may be more trustworthy, all things considered, but I'm not sure whether he'd have the experience and mindset required for the job (no offense :P). I'd propose we establish an inner circle of heroes, a fixed roster, who'd vote on what the team should do.

Hero
Hero
Posted at

Comet Kid would be reluctant to do something so drastic as changing the form of government that a nation has, owing to he fact that he tends to view himself as more of a small-time operator and his history as more of a reactionary hero, fighting crime as he sees it. Not to mention that he was reluctant to start fighting crime in the first place, doing it more out of obligation and responsibility that comes with having powers (and a chance to meet his favorite superheroes in person) rather than out of a genuine will to fight crime. Comet Kid views the team as more there to help out with short term needs, and probably wouldn't consider them there to depose dictators and start new governments. Being a kid, and not considering himself a superhero, he wouldn't see why he and his peers should be the one making that kind of choice.

Comet Kid would probably try to avoid being the one to make a controversial decision or be the deciding vote, being all insecure-y as a teenager and not wanting people to hate him. He'd most likely try and diffuse the situation with humor and talk his way out of trying to decide. Unless it's about letting someone live or die. That's a big hot button of Comet Kid's and he'll always vote for a life.

Posted at

1. To uphold a prime directive of making a difference would be ideal to Virtus. Killing is ALWAYS the last option to him, no matter what. But it depends on the situation. A military coup in a totalitarian state in order to transform it into a democracy, sure, as long as non-lethal force is top priority.

2. If there is a voting roster, Virtus will definately want to be in it. However, if the team decided on something he knows is wrong, at least according to his morals, he wouldn't be sitting by and take it. He'd go all out to stop the rest of the Alliance, even if it gets him booted.

Posted at

With Peligroso on the team dynamics, Peligroso will do what is necessary to protect people, if he has to kill, he will do it without a moments hesitation and if he knows that in the long run that everything will turn out better, he'll go with it, even if it looks bad in the short moment and everyone else seems against it, He's semi-good at taking orders, but he has to have some sort of trust in the person giving him the orders or asking him to do them.

Another thing about him is that if there is no real leader in something ( such as a hostage situation), He'll take leadership if the situation is critical and nothing is really being done about it.

Posted at

How would your character feel about either upholding or abusing a "prime directive" - meaning, the idea that HA should (or should not) interfere with internal affairs?

With the lack of formalized leadership (presuming it's going to be that way), SHELL sees HA as a short-term solution for "case by case basis" issues. His primary concern tends to be to protect innocent civilians regardless of "political affiliation" so he'll be less than enthusiastic if the goal seems to be heavily politically-oriented.

How would this issue influence team dynamics?

As Abt mentioned, SHELL tends to be a bit distant and won't be jumping at leadership roles for the group, but if he sees some ongoing indecision, he'll go off and do what he wants himself. If someone asks what he's doing, he'll blatantly tell them and just let them have the option to either follow or stay out of the way.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

In regards to Azumorph and team dynamics, Azu wants to be friends with his fellow heroes. He doesn't want any more people mad than necessary (i.e. super villains). He'd also take part if they were having a vote on something.

Posted at

How would this issue influence team dynamics? Say, there's a controversial decision to be made, and some are for and others against it. We haven't really established a clear hierarchy on our team, so how would we go about in deciding controversial issues?

Imp is not cut out for a leading position. He is very opinionated, but his horndog mentality make it so he can be easily…"swayed" to switch sides (Bombshell, Titan….but not be swayed into villainy of course).

Blue jay
Blue jay
Posted at

1)As far as prime directive Blue Jay wouldn't get involed unless the government started taking advantage of it's people.

2)When it comes to team dynamics Blue Jay will try to do the right thing regardless of who sides with him. Blue Jay could be a leader but he sometimes doubts himself.

Jules
Jules
Posted at

How would your character feel about either upholding or abusing a "prime directive" - meaning, the idea that HA should (or should not) interfere with internal affairs?

Shadow Fox isn't really big on government issues and plans…unless those particular issues/plans involve crushing something that's truly & morally wrong. So it really depends.

Shadow Fox isn't one to break away from the majority, (with that said, he's not much of a leader really).
He wouldn't want to cause any controversy against himself while part of the team (mainly since the reason he's joining is to break away from his grim past) and would hate to see his friends fight among each other.

7he_7ruth
7he_7ruth
Posted at

Killing someone is something that Destiny wouldn't do unless necessary, especially being influenced by his other half. If the heroes were pulling the strings of a coup in a nation to instill democracy, he would second guess those he was commanded by. He doesn't see international incidents as a issue that people who uphold justice to be concerned about.

He'll give the facts and give the best choice. If the choice is to save the billions, if a few thousand half to die, he'll think through every viable option. If the team cannot find a decision he will personally make the choice himself. He isn't leadership material, but like a NCO in the military he will offer wisdom, and make and commit the hard choices if needed.

Hero
Hero
Posted at

Hey, let me ask some somethings for a script or two I'm writing.

Confronted by an enemy using a civilian as a proxy i.e. mind control/brain controlling catterpillars/alien slugs, etc. would your character be willing to use full force to incapacitate them and get to the enemy? Would they be willing to if it was a superpowered peer?

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Hey, let me ask some somethings for a script or two I'm writing.

Confronted by an enemy using a civilian as a proxy i.e. mind control/brain controlling catterpillars/alien slugs, etc. would your character be willing to use full force to incapacitate them and get to the enemy? Would they be willing to if it was a superpowered peer?
Bombshell wouldn't mind hurting someone for the greater good, but she would not use deadly force except under the most extreme circumstances. Say, if a large group of people was definitely doomed if person A wasn't killed, she would probably kill person A… she's like that person on the ferry during "The Dark Knight"'s showdown, who picks up the detonator to blow up the other ferry and do what everyone else is afraid to do.

Posted at

Peligroso would probably be in the same category as Bombshell, He'll do what it takes to save lives, even if it means that a few people have to be killed, a superpowered peer is a good guestion, probably would fight them if needed be since they have an "edge" over a regular human civilian, probably wouldn't try to kill the peer until there was no other choice.

Posted at

This will probably come as no suprise to anyone, but here's my response. XD

Virtus will incapacitate without lethal force, knocking them out, and only kill as the ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY last option (I doubt he even can kill willingly due to nausea at the sight of gore, so he'll let someone else do it). Doesn't matter if it's a metahuman or a normal human, hero or villain. Of course, if it is a person with a healing factor and a general jerkass, he may not be afraid to get extra rough.

Posted at

How would your character feel about either upholding or abusing a "prime directive" - meaning, the idea that HA should (or should not) interfere with internal affairs

I can't answer this as much as I want due to the fact that quite the majority of Relik's story will involve something similar, which will test his ethics, morals, whatever you care to call it in a BIG way. Right now? I'll say he'd do whatever he felt was right as long as it wasn't stubbornly interferring in the lives of people who obviously don't want/need his help.

Just like Shell, who's behaved rather distant so far, I don't see her taking the role of a leader. Relik may be more trustworthy, all things considered, but I'm not sure whether he'd have the experience and mindset required for the job (no offense :P). I'd propose we establish an inner circle of heroes, a fixed roster, who'd vote on what the team should do.

How DARE you, Sir?! I'll have you know Relik's a Major in the military back on his homeworld. He's just suffering from amnesia, which means he doesn't know the full extent of his powers, which can make him appear reckless, inexperienced, dangerous, and… and… er…. yeeeeeah. My argument kinda fell flat on its ass there, lol :P But as for the mindset? Yeah, he's a major, so he WAS used to commanding squads into numerous situations… now, I'm not so sure.

Seriously, though, he'd reluctantly become the leader by mass vote, but he wouldn't go actively seeking control. And even if he DID become the appointed leader, he'd be more like a Captain, always seeking advice and counsel from the rest of the main/central roster.

Like the first question, I'll let Relik's adventures answer THIS fully very soon.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

How DARE you, Sir?! I'll have you know Relik's a Major in the military back on his homeworld. He's just suffering from amnesia, which means he doesn't know the full extent of his powers, which can make him appear reckless, inexperienced, dangerous, and… and… er…. yeeeeeah. My argument kinda fell flat on its ass there, lol :P
Haha! :P

But as for the mindset? Yeah, he's a major, so he WAS used to commanding squads into numerous situations… now, I'm not so sure.

Seriously, though, he'd reluctantly become the leader by mass vote, but he wouldn't go actively seeking control. And even if he DID become the appointed leader, he'd be more like a Captain, always seeking advice and counsel from the rest of the main/central roster.
We just haven't seen that side of Relik yet, so I was a bit wary. But of course in the end it depends on how you'd like to see Relik portrayed.

7he_7ruth
7he_7ruth
Posted at

Confronted by an enemy using a civilian as a proxy i.e. mind control/brain controlling caterpillars/alien slugs, etc. would your character be willing to use full force to incapacitate them and get to the enemy? Would they be willing to if it was a superpowered peer?

If lives are in the balance, Destiny would look through every option to see if there isn't a better alternative. If there is not, he will do what is necessary to save those he could. If it's a peer, it is the same view, they may be part of his team, but he is still a being that must thing about the safety of the planet. Even if it means killing them.

Macattack
Macattack
Posted at

My first question, going out to everyone who has a character on the HA team, would be:

How would your character feel about either upholding or abusing a "prime directive" - meaning, the idea that HA should (or should not) interfere with internal affairs (of certain countries, organizations, or what have you). Say, if Bombshell were to use some of the team's manpower to support a coup in a third-world-country, would your characters be violently opposed to this, even if it would result in that country's government being transformed from a dictatorship into a democracy? How far would your character go in supporting these sorts of morally questionable things? In his/her mind, is HA just there to help out people in short-term need (rescue victims of disasters, thwart villainous plots)? Or rather consider long-term needs as well (political/social structures)? In the long run, this might evolve into something akin to Marvel's Civil War (provided we'll have a "long run" :P).

1)
Wow… this i actually a very hard question for me to answer about Wireless… I mean the main reason Wireless took up the role of a super hero was to bring justice to those who the law couldn't catch. AKA those who have diplomatic immunity, or good lawyers. I don't think he'd be reluctant to bend the rules a bit in order to stop someone from hurting others, but at the same time, the more he messes up throughout his story, the more he'll start studying different scenarios trying to see the big picture. Kind of like Shell in the first Heroes Unite he appeared in where he didn't get involved in the fight because he realized he would be needed later. (Although Shell is like 100 times better at seeing the big picture than Wireless is)

2)
Wireless has trouble seeing himself as part of the group… more someone who is lucky enough to help them out some times. As I had mentioned in other discussion boards, Wireless is the first superhero Canada's had in many many years (Well we still have Wolverine but he's moved to the US so he doesn't count :P ) anyways, because of this he doesn't see himself as very professional and being able to work with Heroes Alliance would be like working with legends. He'd look up to them and try to learn from them and definitely follow their orders, though if they did something that he believed was wrong, he'd definitely question them and if he felt it necessary, interfere with their plans.

3)
Finally, I don't think Wireless would even want to cut someone who was simply under someone else's control. He'd do whatever he could to restrain them. Maybe psychically wrap them in a street lamp or something, but unless he was positively certain they couldn't be hurt by him…. that being said, if he did know that they'd just heal up, like Virtus, all previous bets are off and he's going to have a hay day on this guy >=)

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

For Solarcell: in the current state that she is in, she hates anything political. She will go with the flow of others on the team, if she becomes part of the team. Her agenda is mainly finding herself. Had this been her original self, she would very angry at the world. Try to change things, to fit her father's and 5 other sisters' goal of world domination.

In the future she will fine out who she is with a multi universe characters interferes with Dark beauty and Solarcell. However, her current view will not change. She will choose to stay in the HU / HA universe in the fear of not becoming the monster she once was.

Would she ever go against bombshell or her beliefs? Only if it sounds morally wrong like against human kind. I think she would do whatever bombshell says if they remain in contact with each other. In this universe, Solarcell will be a kind hearted person with great powers. Bombshell is the person that helps her control her powers. I don't know if bombshell will take advantage of this but Solarcell will be a loyal contributor for bombshell even if she is not part of HA team. HOWEVER, that can change if something truly major happens.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Against mind-controlled normal human opponents (especially innocents) Chaos would do his best to incapacitate them with minimal damage and has the martial skill to do so (although if the issue was getting past them to get to the enemy, he'd probably rather find a way around or over rather than through).

If he had to face a superpowered peer he'd go all out short of killing unless absolutely unavoidable.  He may be cocky, but he's in awe of he heroes of HA and well aware he's a squishy human in a world of demigods.  Think "what would Batman do in this situation" and you'll probably be in the right ballpark (though Ben's personality is closer to Spidey than Bats).

In terms of non-interference, Ben is a decent guy who will do what seems best for all involved.  If that means liberating a country from a tyrant he'd probably feel conflicted over whether a militant invasion is the best way to go about that.  He'd probably rather use other resources to empower the people of the country than go in 'guns blazing'.

He is *not* the sort to blindly follow orders - he's very much the 'think outside the box' type.  He'd have great respect for Bombshell, but I don't know that he would trust her.  They're alike in some ways in wanting to make the world better, but I suspect Bombshell's willing to cross some lines Ben wouldn't to achieve that.

This is a good thread. :)  Gets you thinking about your characters in ways you might not have.

From the sound of things, I actually think Ben and Solarcell might riff off each other well.  Solarcell has phenomenal cosmic power and fears the harm she could do if she lapses back into her old self.  Ben often feels frustrated at not having more power to change the world.  Could be an interesting combo.
This of course, is contingent on me getting off my butt and getting his comic done so I can nail the character down more. -_-

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.