Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

References for characters, props and locations

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

The general rule is this: If you've been assigned pages, and at least one of your pages features characters, props (gadgets etc.) or locations which another artist has to draw on a later page, and for which no reference sheet exists yet (character sheets for our main characters must be posted here, for main villains here), then you're the one responsible for designing their look and posting a reference pic in this thread.

If you're an artist and you feel you need some sort of reference, don't just assume others already know. Please make yourself heard and request it here!

And if you're just plain uncertain about what to do, please post here as well so we don't get two designs for the same thing! :P

Chapter 1 - What we've got:
Color designs for our heroes: Bombshell, Relik, Vora, Titan, Shell, Virtus, Comet Kid, Azumorph
Color designs for the villains: The Ancient, Anarch, Change
TV for pgs. 15/16
B/W designs for Watchman, Clockwork, Viggen
Bombs
Locations: Embassy in Stockholm, Thames/London.

Posted at

There doesn't seem to be a reference for what the bombs are supposed to look like.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I've edited my first post and made a list of references we already have and which ones we still need, please refer to it (and please tell me if it needs changes).

Here's a sketch I did for the bomb on the moon:

You can see it's still very generic (just a box with a timer, wired to a container), but I wanted to share it with you since I won't have the time to do a thorough design this week. So, anybody who feels like designing the bombs, please do so! :3

Posted at

Anyone get any ideas for the components? I have got an idea of what they look like to make it look sort of cool (like they have that sort of coolness about them), if no one has any other ideas I'll post up a sketch of what I think it'd look like.

Posted at

I'm using this image of the scene next to the Thames river with Comet Kid and Azumorph

Also:Let's be sure to know what hour of the day each of our scenes are taking place. So we can make adjustments about Timezones and the lighting outside, and some locations should have varying weather too.

Posted at

abt: Give me a few days and I can have the designs for the bombs up with this thing attached. That is, of course, if someone else does not want to do it.

Posted at

mind_reader: If I might come with a suggestion, we could just have them hidden inside of the bombs, and only properly revealed when the different groups looks into them later on in the story.

Wes_Nero123: Actually, I wrote each of the locations to save us that trouble. The time zones in each location is usually only an hour or two ahead or behind eachother, so "the middle of the day" ought to be a pretty good measurement for everyone.

AzuJOD
AzuJOD
Posted at

Note for any artists drawing Azumorph: I may have designed him without any hands, but he can be drawn with hands if required, what with him being a shapeshifter.

Posted at

I need model sheets (with color schemes) for Clockwork (and less importantly) Watchman please.

On another note, I kinda disagree with the tv chosen. I mean, let's think about this… The news report is being watched by the villains in this huge colosseum where he has his throne. Doesn't a 50 inch tv seem a bit out of place? Wouldn't the design of the epic size of the colosseum require something like a jumbotron… like the Dallas Cowboys have in their stadium?

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I'll do some sketches for Clockwork and Watchman, but since you're the only one to draw them I'll leave the fleshing out to you :P (Lazy me)

Regarding the TV: Yup, that depends on where exactly you'd place his throne. But even if, say, The Ancient is sitting in some sort of The Emperor's seat overlooking the arena, it might still be a rather, um, cozy loge with a normal-sized TV. Then again, would he really be sitting in such an exposed location all the time? My personal (implicit) take on all this was that he had some sort of VIP lounge somewhere in the dungeons beneath the arena.

These are just my personal thoughts, you two can go with whatever suits you best - you just have to settle on something definitely.

Oh, BTW: Have we decided on where exactly the Colosseum is located? I guess this doesn't matter for chapter 1, but…

Hero
Hero
Posted at

If it's The Ancient's shtick, either in Redrock Canyon, Arizona where he's temporarily based out of in my comics or, keeping with the whole Globe trotting theme of this first comic: Rome, Italy where the Worldwide HQ for his company is.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

You know what I'd find super-cool? A collosseum floating in orbit. Built into a rock with a giant glass bowl on top. But maybe that's just me :P

Posted at

Oh, it may have been my fault with the TV thing. I had the impression that we were changing scene with each television, showing that this is being broadcasted all over the world. I just did the design for mine. We can either go with that idea, or go with the large colliseum fuzzy thing…up to you guys, it's my fault for reading it incorrectly.

Posted at

mind - No prob. I think I can work with the tv you picked out. I re-read the script a couple of times and have an idea on how to make it work (incorporating Abt's ideas).

Jo - Oh no worries on Clockwork and Watchman designs. I thought they were someone's existing characters. Since they're not, I'd be happy to make them up.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Alan: Just give me a day or two to come up with some sketches. While I'm sure you're more than capable to design these two on your own, I do have some ideas I'd like to see incorporated. You can always abandon these later on if you don't like them :P

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Wes: Great stuff.

fuku: Here are my takes on Watchman and Clockwork:

You can keep these as they are and just add colors, but you're also free to tweak these. What's important to me is:
1) They're old school.
2) Watchman is one of those nice uncle types, helpful, caring, radiating both friendliness and competence; he resembles a circus strongman somehow.
3) Clockwork is the Robin or Bucky type. He's blonde.

EDIT: Looking at these now, it would make sense to add cogs on Clockwork's boots, like I added clocks on Watchman's.

Posted at

Darn! I'm sorry that I forgot to add this:

Reference for Sven Eriksson, AKA Viggen. Caucasian skin tone, and light brown hair, with his civilian suit up to the artist's imagination.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Yup, the 2nd design seems to make more sense.

Seb just sent me his first draft, in which I found the following:
"In another part of the fortress, we find the prison cells. Azumorph and Comet Kid share a cell as "superpowered wildcards". Bombshell and Vora are sharing a cell, without their tools (Bombshell's cybernetic glove and Vora's tools)."

So I guess we'd either have cells especially designed to deal with our heroes' powers, or there'd be some way of blackmailing them into staying there (just like in the script Shell and Relik are blackmailed into fighting against each other in the arena). If I were to speculate, I'd say making one of the non-powered heroes lives depend on the structural integrity of the other cells would be a good idea… like: Comet Kid breaks his cell -> Bombshell's electrocuted.

As far as I can see, The Ancient is sitting right on top of the holding cells in fuku's design, right? I think the script for ch. 2 assumes they're somewhere else, but I'll leave that to fuku & Seb to duke out… :P

Also, here's the bomb as depicted by melsr007:

Posted at

Thanks for the info! Prison cells it is.

Oh, no problem on not having our villains overlooking the cells. I can easily take that out and put something else.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.