Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
How this thing gets made with 3D

3D Run down

Voltarrens
Voltarrens
Posted at

This is one of the hardest ways of making a graphic novel :neenjah: , 4 years already spent on this little adventure. Just about everything in the panels/scenes are created from scratch in a 3D program (Lightwave), PainShopPro and ZBrush for the backgrounds, layouts and textures. There's just a few canibalized Poser figures used as background crowd characters and Hebe's wife who doesn't appear very often throughout the story.

It's required a lot of discipline, effort, working late into the early hours of the morning, having to stop because of really hot weather and having a couple of computer melt downs along the way.

The modelling side has been easy, yet time consuming, and making textures is just not my forte at the moment. It took ages to get my head around rigging the characters for movement and having it work most of the time. Having to learn how to set up lighting properly and not have everything too dark, still working on this one.

Yeah, it's just basically one person working away :)

Voltarrens
Voltarrens
Posted at

My partner helps with the tech side of the computer, without him I'd have had a nervous break down by now with all the problems WindowsVista & the computer hardware has thrown at this. Luckily, Newtek have been very helpful with fixing bugs within Lightwave.

Having found out I have anenmia solves some of the problems of late with concentration. Haven't been getting as much done as we'd like over the past couple of months, but just the past week on iron tablets has helped greatly.

So currently working away on the rather detailed character of Decay and getting quite a lot done in a short amount of time.

Voltarrens
Voltarrens
Posted at

Well have long since recovered from anemia, seem to be back to normal.

Looks like things will move more quickly with the 3D in the coming year with the next chapter of Deadman's Curse. After all this time, have figured out a workflow that will work for the comic and make the pages faster to make, so chapter 2 of the story won't take as long to make, even though it's a bit longer than the first in written form.

A lot of the current models and sets and objects are re-usable so they won't have to be made again so they become the working library I can call upon when needed. There will be a break between the current chapter (almost done) and the next before the pages are begun.

Shortly, the first chapter will be going into edit mode as it gets refined for publication :)

Voltarrens
Voltarrens
Posted at

Well, this is the BIG update.

"Deadman's Curse" the graphic novel made with 3D software has had its first chapter finished after many years of working at it, building up the assets(objects, characters & scenery) library to make it all work. It is now in print and can be purchased here: http://www.chaoticwhisker.com/ through our official website. 52 pages and in full color with a little extra story added and fully edited.

Yes, it is being run as a registered small business (Chaotic Whisker) as I do more now than just make comic book images and stories. Please feel free to come and visit.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.