Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Mafia ?? GM Election

Posted at

All right. Due to how long ago the last mafia game was and how few players we seem to be getting now, I'm gonna relax the GM rules a little bit. I think for the next few games, it should be ok to drop the "No encore performance" rule and reduce the minimum number of games played before you're allowed to run to one game.

Also. I have no idea what to name this game. If People are interested in picking up where we left off, then this game should technically be Mafia XLIX, or game number 49. That's not counting Niccea's last game. Otherwise it's Mafia L, or 50. If people want to continue the old numbering system, for prosperity reasons, restart it or drop the whole thing, then I won't object to any of those decision.

With that being said… Da rules:

Rules and Conditions.

Veteran players only. (Temporarily not in effect)
The GM needs to posses a fair understanding on how the game runs. Therefore we require that the applicant has played the game at least twice.

No encore performance. (Temporarily not in effect)
As the current GM, it is up to me to pass the title to someone new. Once you're done running a game, you will also be expected to give someone else a chance. Don't start a new game. Instead you will run an election like this one where we pick a new GM. Also, you can't be a candidate yourself. This will ensure that we get new blood into the game and that the rules are regularly picked at from a different perspective. GMs from older games are free to run again and are encouraged to do so. Who knows? If they were good enough, people will flock to play their game again.

Explain your goal.
What do you plan to do as the new GM? Are you going to run a standard Mafia game? If so, will you change the rules/roles and/or introduce new ones? Are you perhaps gonna play a game with a different theme? Reverse Mafia perhaps or maybe zombie apocalypse? If so explain the new structure of the game. Changing the formula is OK. It happens in almost every game. Just be careful not to introduce a change so radical that it could scare people away from voting you. You can discuss rule changes and different themes here to see if people would like it.

Pick a schedule and stick with it
It is important that the GM is punctual in maintaining the game. Do you plan to post narrations every 24 hours at a specific time? If so, make sure that you'll be here to on time to do so. If something comes up that would force you to be early or late, post a warning to let people know with an explanation. It's encouraged that you run the game using GMT timezone schedule since the players hail from all over the world, spanning different time zones and a GMT conversion table is the easiest one for everyone to access. If you plan on using a different time zone schedule like an American one, Make sure you advertise it well and post an appropriate conversion table for everyone to access.

An example of a GMT conversion table:

"Here's how it works. Figure out where in the world you live and locate that place on the map. Follow the line you're living in down to the bottom of the map and locate a number down there. Use that number to change the time that the GM gives (as long as he's using GMT, that is). For example, if the GM says that something will happen at 6 pm and your living in a -5 zone, it means that it will happen at 1 pm, your time. If you live in a +5 zone, it means that it will happen at 11pm." Also for those living in America, here's a handy time table to show you at what time you can expect the narrations.

Show us your stuff
The GM is expected to write narrations to explain what's going on throughout the game. A good writer can make the game come alive and encourage players to come back to read what's going on. Show us your stuff and create a scenario where YOU(the applicant) kill ME (the
election holder). In this narration it is important that you do not directly tell us that it was you who committed the crime but instead leave a clue that's based on your name, avatar, signature, profile, comic(if you have any), something that can link you to the crime. Try making a link to you that can be figured out with some research, while at the same time is not blatantly obvious. You can throw in red herrings but please refrain from directly connecting the herrings to innocents. Make them instead vague things that could point at many people. Finally, be creative, funny, dramatic, brutal, serious, descriptive, vague, long winded or short and to the point. Pick the style you feel comfortable with and would like to use. Impress us with what you can do. At the end of the narration post an explanation that shows people how the clues link to you so that we can understand your logic. I'll be posting the applicants sample narrations in the second post for people to quickly read through. Once we have enough applications I will announce when it's time to vote for your favorite GM. Applicants do not need to vote since it's given that they'll be voting for themselves. Although if they wish to vote for someone else, they can do so.

Posted at

Sample narration and vote results:

Since only Jninja is running, he's declared winner by default.

Posted at

Sorry for the delay, I had things to do. Work things. ANYWHO. I present to you all,
MAFIA XLIX: Lets have a good, clean Mafia
Premise: Standard game type, since I figure we need to bring in a good amount of new players to keep us going and people LIKE simple. Narrations are going to be what they usually are from me, half way decent but with the goal to entertain.

Time details: Narrations will be put up at 10pm Eastern standard time, which is 3pm GMT. If there will be a delay, you will all be informed ahead of time.

Roles: All the classics
ELECTED ROLES
Mayor: The big cheese himself
-Insta lynch: Celebrate like a tyrant! Upon winning the election, the mayor has one hour to make an insta lynch. One person is automatically killed. If its unused, its gone.
-Double Votes: I'm da biggest! Mayor's votes for lynching counts for double.
-Body Guards: Meat sheilds! The Mayor has two (or one if insufficient numbers) body guards. He can't be attacked at
 night while they are alive.
The Pardonner: The runner up of the mayoral election. They still get some powers.
-STOP RIGHT THERE: We can't afford graves! The Pardonner has the ability to stop any two lynches in the game. Note that does not include the insta lynch or his own lynching
-Body Guards: See mayor
TOWNIES
Townstonian (the left overs): You do nothing but vote AND die. If you are lucky, you will get elected. Only Townies may be upgraded to Bodyguards.
Bodyguard:(1-2) Two random Townstonians will be upgraded to Bodyguards after the election. While they live, the electees can't be attacked. Only the mayor is told their identity
The Veteren: (1) Tough as nails!
-That all you got?: He got it worse in… which ever war he was in. The Veteren needs to be attacked twice to die.
Medics: (2) The doc, the bone saw, the healer man. Also, usually the mobs #1 target.
-House Call: The Doctor is IN. During the nigth phase, the doctor can watch over another player stoping the first attempt to kill that player for the night. He will also defuse any bombs on the player. Neither leaves a clue, but will be narrated
-Rival Practices: You call THAT doctoring?! Due to the fiercely competetive medical feild, doctors will NOT House call one another.
Detective: (1) the gumshoe, he watches over the town like a hawk. He may only do one power per combined day/ night phase (ie if he does something day/ night 1, he cant do another until day 2)
-Background check: Leafing through files and stalking the perps. The Detective can look up a players role
-That doesn't add up: Once per game, the detective can see how many criminals voted for whom
-DID YA DO IT?!: The detective may ask the DM a yes or no question about a murder.
Vigilante: (1) THE GOD DAMNED BATMAN.
-JUSTICE: Once per NIGHT phase, a vigilante can kill another player. This leaves a hint.
Old Man Jenkins: (1) As crazy as he is insane.
-Paranoia: Old Man Jenkins has booby trapped his home. First VISITOR (psycho, detective, mafia, vigilanties OR medics) every night will be killed. Thisdoes not leaves a hint behind. Old Man Jenkins will NOT know of their identity (the GM will only tell them they are townstonians)
THE MAFIA
The Don: (1) The big boss, the made man, da boss, see?
-Behind the curtain: All attacks on the boss will fail (but the attempt will be narrated) while he still has goons to watch his back. He will appear as a Townstonian to the detective.
-Dirty work: The boss can kill other players at night, but doing so will leave a clue AND cancel BEHIND THE CURTAIN until the next night.
-Horse Head: Offer he can't refuse. Once per game, durring the NIGHT phase, the don can nominate another player. The following DAY phase, the named player finds a horses head in their bed, and thus cannot vote in that days lych vote. This won't leave a clue or deactivate BEHIND THE CURTAIN.
-Kiss the ring: Making a made man. The don may, once per game invite a player to join the mafia. They retain their role, and gain the ability to kill if they didn't already have it, but now count as a mafia member, and therefore need to be killed for Townie victory. The player is allowed to refuse.
Goon(1-2): The mafia grunts. They do the dirty work.
-Wack 'Em!: Make 'em sleep with the fishes! Once a night, the Goons can kill another player each. Leaves a clue.
Arsonist(1): He likes to watch the world burn.
-Planted: Tick tick. Once a NIGHT phase, the arsonist can plant a bomb on another player (up to two bombs active at once). This doesn't get narrated.
-The button: BOOM! The Arsonist may detonate any number of bombs he has active durring the night phase. He may not detonate a bomb he just planted though. The bombings leave a clue.

UNAFILIATED
Psycho(1): "Oh sure, you kill a guy and wear his skin one time and they all declare you this and that!"
-STABBY STABBY: once a night he may kill another player, leaves a hint.
WIN CONDITIONS:
-Mafia outnumbers the town, and the vigilante is dead.
-Serial Murderer stabbed everyone.
-Mob/ Serial Murderer are dead
-three way tie: Rare, but it has happenned. all factions die. In this case, no winners, just laughs.
Sample narrative:
It was a usual Townstonian night, so quiet and full of paranoia and dread. Product Placement was sleeping peacefully, when a loud clattering was heard. "Great," he mummbles, still half asleep, "Racoons got in the trash again." With a groan he got up, put on his pink bunny slippers and gathered his good old shoo-broom. With full intent of giving some racoos a face full of broom, he swung open his door to see his bin upturned, but no rodents. He was about to turn back in when, out of the blue, an assailant ran up and struck him with a bat. "YOU'RE NO RACOON!" Product cried out, hoping to allert the neighbours. "Of course not, that's just crazy!" The assailant replied, raising the bat high and proud.
[spoiler]Product Placement the townie was loudly beaten to death[/spoiler]

Clue explination:
"Out of the blue, an assailant ran…" My icon is me, running against a blue background.
"That's just crazy!" lifted right from my tag line "That's just crazy enough to walrus!"

Posted at

I'll leave it to the end of the weekend for anyone else to show up and throw his hat in the ring. If there are no other takers, I'll declare Jninja the winner by default.

Posted at

same wrote:
I think DD mafia is going the way of VG cats…

Well… It's either that we put the poor thing down or we attempt to revive it and rebuild some interest again. Of course, I admit that fixing the damn forum and the PQ system would help allot but I don't see that Wowio is gonna be on that case, anytime soon.

Posted at

i miss when Drunk Duck was Drunk Duck.

Posted at

And on that note I will declare Jninja the winner by default.

Posted at

I'd celebrate my victory, but really… i won unoposed…

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.