Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

HERO: Ancient Mariner by SUX

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

I think the "Steam-powered Mariner" character concept would be a good fit for my suggested "Leviathan" story arc in the "Stories and Storylines" thread.
I've roughed up some character concept art for your comment (and for the practice :)).  Since SHELL and Relik both already have a sleek exo-suit look I made this guy more bulky looking.
I think the upper body came out okay, but I'm a little smeh on the lower body.  All comments welcome.

Posted at

I like it, reminds me a little of a centurian in the armor.
I think the symbols and the face part of the helmet should be bio luminesent, since the ocean is pretty dark.
All in all, that is pretty close to how I was going to draw him up so it's great that you did that.
I think I have a name for the guy who discovers the suit. "Jules Savage" Combine the classic Jules Verne with Doc Savage of classic Pulp.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

I modelled the general aesthetics off Greek and Roman soldiers, figuring that those civilisation would have been partly influenced by interactions with the Atlanteans.

Which would make it doubly-fitting if we can use an offshoot of the Evosians since the Evosians already have kind of a Graeco-Roman aesthetic to them. I PQed Nepath to see if he'd be cool with us doing that.

I can't get the bioluminescence looking good so I'm going to leave that aspect of it for now.

Personally I'm not a fan of the name 'Savage' for the character because it makes him sound, well, savage - I think the allusion to Doc Savage would be lost on a lot of people. I haven't come up with a better alternative, though. 'Verne' is great though and would work as a first or last name. 

I'm personally envisioning him as a physically fit man in his mid-40s with salt-and-pepper beard/stubble. A professional (mostly marine) archaeologist with a science background and a couple of decades experience under his belt.  It might be cool if he were of Indian ancestry. After all, Captain Nemo was from India. Hmm, 'Professor Verne Khan' maybe? A cross-cultural name for a cross-cultural background? Dunno about 'Khan', tho. Hmm…. 

Posted at

hmmm, I like Jules for his name…maybe allude to another writer like HG Wells.  Jules Wells or maybe Jules Doyle

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

For a superhero name how about 'The Ancient Mariner' (probably mostly shortened to 'Mariner' in practice)?

Call him whatever names ring true for you, tho - he's your character. :) 

To use him in 'Leviathan' all I need is that his armour be Atlantean in origin and that he have good archaeological knowledge… 

Posted at

Ancient Mariner works out, And I like Jules Doyle since it really does invoke Jules Verne and Conan Doyle and their respected works.
And Yeah it can be Atlantean no prob :)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.