Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Woohoo, happy 2015th birthday, earth!

- - -

Check out the Radioplay thread, we need YOU to be as awesome as I know you can be!

- - -
I'd like to take this chance and tell all of you that you are awesome. Also, I hope that each of you has as much misfortunate this year as you can handle, and not a sliver more. I'm reading a lot of philosophy stuff, and I think that Nietsche had the right angle concerning suffering. So one of my new year's resolutions is to stop wishing people good luck, and instead wish them growth, satisfaction, and purpose, even if it comes with an almost equal amount of suffering and loss. Having both the highs and the lows is bound to be better than just mediocrity and fog, isn't it?

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I was so tempted to create this thread.  However, I think it would be better for other people to do it.  Maybe next decade…  :)

Oh, yeah… I'M ON SHROOMS….

…Island!!!  :)

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

We'll reserve next year's thread for you, Lonne! :P

CornTown
CornTown
Posted at

One day down, 363 more to go. So far, the year has been quite averge.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Good work Hippie!
 -with the play newspost too!

—-

Sooooooo pissed offffffff! I found the perfect antique sabre at an online store at a GREAT price, but I couldn't just jump in a buy it because it only have US adresses for the delivery option (I checked and they DO ship internationally). I got no answer and was going ahead to buy it anyway and damn the consequences but it was no longer available to buy! I mailed them again to ask if it had been sold and no answer. :/

I WANT that sabre!!!!!

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Oh My God…
It turns out that it was the fault of their crapy online shopping cart that I wasn't able to get the sabre. The stupid thing is badly designed. I've finally been in contact with a sales rep there but unfortunately it seems she's just as tricky to deal with as the form…

It's a nice looking weapon. If I could get that rust browning off of the scbbard and the bars on the gaurd, add new leather to the grip and put a replacement rivet through it, it'll be a very tasty piece- and not that much more expensive than the decent quality replica peices!

It's a real pity that money is so tight for me righ now… But I'm down and buying stuff I want makes me feel better. :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Looks like the sword will be miiiiiinnne! Woot!
Yes!
YAY!

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Oz, my sweet, that was a rollercoaster of emotion. I felt everything you felt, every surprise was a delight, and every disappointment was like an icy dagger in my heart. Your quest was long, and full of peril, but in the end you found your prize! The blade is yours! The world will tremble at your might, and lakes of blood will mark the path you cut through the world!

Congratz man, I hope it is as nice as you thought it was.

- - - - - -

My second ever Pathfinder session is this weekend. And I don't have a clue wether or not I have prepared enough material. The group spends 20 minutes trying to find a secret entrance in a completely normal well, and completely ignores the perfectly prepared temple, led by a repentant Lich, and containing one of their possible exits from the evil island of Rid-il.

Here's hoping that they find random encounters SUPER interesting.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Glad you got your sword, ozone!

I spent way too much money on Christmas presents this year so I'm doing a January no-buy. I'm also getting back to my regular healthy eating behaviours after December's Christmas baking/chocolate extravaganza. And I'll be starting classes again soon after having been off for a month. January is going to suuuuuck.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Be sure to show us pics of the sword when you get it, Ozone!  :)

Posted at

Koatz when playing RPG you never prepared enough material as every player makes it there job to do every thing you never thought of!

Ah 2015 this will be the year of Inifinty N3 for me, or at least for now! so far my Aleph army has done well I just have to finnish painting the miniaturers…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

The furtherst I ever got with roleplay was the Heroquest boardgame… and for tabletop I had an eldar squad of Warhammer 40k miniatures, but I liked paintng them more than playing, I've probably only ever played about 5 games. They just took so MUCH time and work and organisation to play D:
I'm far too lazy.

This is the sword I bought:

And this is the condition I'd like to return it to:

They say you shouldn't mess around with antiques because they'll "lose value", but I'm not in it for that. Back in the day they weren't that precious, if something needed fixing they'd bloody well fix it, not sit around admiring the patina as it slowely crumbled away to nothing. Black rust is a sign of decay not a badge of anitquarian honour.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Congrats on your sword Ozone! Restoring antiques can be a lot of fun and very rewarding. New life to old stuff.  But don't change anything, just fix it. The problem is poorly done restorations that screw up the original rather than just fix it. 

I spent a goodly amount to open up some new story possiblities and the wife was livid. But they are fianlly doing some decent lingerie in 1/6th so future stories can have nice lacy undies instead of bare boobs. She should be thankful I'm not going to invest in the new lines of seamless figures that cost over $50 each for a plain nude figure, or the variant headsculpts that cost start at $25. And a full figure now reaching $150! I have enough figures, now I just need a few variant outfits for a female wrestler story and some female Nazi uniforms for Schoolgirl ninjas versus Nazis.

Posted at

Alright! I guess it is time to break in this new forum thread for 2015.

A few of my new year's resolutions:
- Stop referring to 20-year-olds as "kids" or 10-year-olds.
- Attempt to live by the Seven Virtues instead of the Seven Deadly Sins as my daily to-do list.
- Say "Yes." more than "No." to advice given to me.
- Drive more.

==

@bravo
Now if readers ask why all the characters in your comic are topless, just say it was the most "economical" option.

@ozone
According to your avatar date, you joined Drunk Duck eleven years ago yesterday. Happy 11th Drunk Duckiversary!!

That is a pretty sweet sword deal. The antique and the reference picture look very much identical. When it arrives are your door, you must make haste and find Elrond to reforge the sword.

*Funny story about "antiques". When I was traveling around China, it was common for vendors to roll objects around in dirt or black paint and then clean it off to give the impression that it was older than it was.

Kroatz
Kroatz
Posted at

Hey Kawaii, jij ook een gelukkig nieuwjaar! Hopelijk hou je de goede voornemens een tijdje vol! Ik moet zeggen dat het een apart gevoel is om Nederlands op deze site te zien verschijnen.

God, Dutch is a beautiful language. A lot of hard G's and rolling R's, we combine all the romance of the Germans, the ease of the French, and the efficiency of the English languages into one hideous mutant-language-love child. Yes, it's very good for storytelling, and I love writing in Dutch, but for an average conversation I'd much rather turn to the muted greys of English. It's easier to listen to, and so much easier to twist into circles.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Yep.  Just found out that Photoshop Elements (the version I have anyway) is not compatible with Windows 8.1… or rather my current monitor.  I could use Windows Paint, but the lines aren't what I'm used to…  
Any suggestions on what I can use for drawing?

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Lonnehart wrote:
Yep.  Just found out that Photoshop Elements (the version I have anyway) is not compatible with Windows 8.1… or rather my current monitor.  I could use Windows Paint, but the lines aren't what I'm used to…  
Any suggestions on what I can use for drawing?

My last computer went through a weird period where photoshop wasn't working, so I used GIMP briefly. It seemed to work pretty well, although I wasn't doing much drawing at the time.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I like listening to dutch people speak English. It's a fantastic accent.
Mitchel and Webb do a good parody: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY-Zdgo0OXo
Mr Jan Hankl looks how you image someone with that accent would. :D
—-

Great New Years pic Kawaii!
Re the sword pics:
Yeah, the good sword pic is from someone who found a better version of the same sword about 4 years ago. I had to do a lot of searching to find that, it's not a comon sabre. That's how they SHOULD look if they were kept properly and looked after well.
As for fake antiques from China- my very first sabre was one of those! I knew that when I bought it though. They sell quite a lot of them, but they're never quite right, you can always tell.

As for mine, I suspect some moron may have put a rust stablising fluid on the scabard, which converted he rust to a black patina.
I've been doing some reading on rust, getting ready to takle it on the sword… aparently there are at least 15 different kinds of chemically different rust that affect steel. FIFTEEN! Reds, yellow, orange, brown, black… some that bubble and expand, some that bond hard on the surface, and some that eat in deep and destroy from the inside.

Also, types of rust are key comon ingredients in lady's make-up.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Whoa… 15 types of steel rust… in many colors…  I learn something new every day.
I guess I better get used to using GIMP for a while despite it not detecting my pen pressure on my computer tablet.   Or just use the old fashioned method of scanning hand drawn images into the computer…

*sigh*

And to think I thought it would be easy to get back into webcomics.  I planned on rebooting the Lost Battle Fortress comic as well as creating a new AO rated title… 

Hmm… I wonder how Kawaii, Bravo, Hippie and Kroatz would work with a fleet consisting of about 10 support ships (one was cut in half due to the accident with the Zephyr's Transdimensional Drive) and one giant vessel nearly 7000m long (the main gun taking up a LOT of that).  I can already see Ozone as a Wing Commander type (leading a squad of two to four fighters).  :)

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

As long as it's a Skull Squadron!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Thank heaven US Navy squadrons don't sue for trademark infringment. Long live VF-103 the Jolly Rogers! They should transition VF-3B Veritech fighters sometime in the mid 21st century.
And yes the VF in veritech is a salute to US Navy fighter squadrons and the design was always ment to be an F-14 etc. etc.  FLY NAVY! Tomcatters forever! I have four models of the Tomcat but none will be in Jolly Rodgers markings but my F-7U Cutless will be. 

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

And in other news, I dropped my laptop and destroyed the screen. I paniced had a fight with the wife and this morning went on line to see how much a replacement screen would cost. $70? And there are Youtube videos that are only 8 minutes long going over how to switch it out? Including one specifically for my model? Holy moley.

My laptop is four years old and missing the "0" key on the numeric keypad. The CD-DVD driver is disabled but I don't mind that so much as everything I've done with that thing. I think I can afford to fix the screen and maybe even replace the CD-DVD drive. I'm not technical but i am good at taking things apart and putting them back together. It's not rocket science. 

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Yes… it was hard to find a pic that wasn't the US navy fighters. :)
Though I think there's a pretty clear line of decendance for the skull and bones symbol in military use to the hussars actually. Though being navy of course they'd go for the pirate referance… It's interesting thouh that they're always nicked from the cavalrey- the cutlass, the famous "pirate boots" etc.

————–

One thing to keep in mind with computers os modularity. You can repair the monitor or get an a bigger external one for the same price. You sacrifice a bit of portability but gain re-usability for when you switch to a replacement machine.
External DVD drives are the same. You could get a decent one for $30-$50 and be able to use it on any computer. Those are a lot more portable than external monitors too.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

Now if only you could modify your laptop so its innards can stay updated with the times…  And if only you could use any parts you want with it instead of being stuck with the parts the laptop's manufacturer provides…
Of course desktop PCs have their own issues when it comes to being "modular".  For instance, needing a case with enough cooling options to house your upgraded CPU/Video Card, both of which can get really REALLY HOT!!!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.