Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

What do you feel is the best comic, or part of a comic, that you have done?

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Pretty straight forward, what are you most proud of an why? For me it's the Lite Bites story Black Shuck which I wrote and Skreem illustrated. For me it's a great marriage of artistic and writing style and because it's short it doesn't out stay its welcome. i think it helps that someone more talented than I did the visuals.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

I have to think about this one a bit. Just wanted to say, this is a great idea for a thread!

Bruno Harm
Bruno Harm
Posted at

This is the Best work I've done to date, visually:
I've been pushing myself a lot to clean up and refine my style and make things look a little more professional. Eventually I switch to Photoshop word bubbles and Try to improve line variation and coloring. It's a journey, and I've still got some stairs to climb.

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

After giving it some thought, I decided it must be this chapter: Stormy Thoughts. It is the last chapter of a longer arc (starting here – I love this whole arc.)

Not the best visually, although at the time it was. I was still experimenting with effects at the time, and this particular "episode" takes place at night in a rainstorm. I experimented with a lot of angles and expressions. I don't know if I did justice to the story/emotions I wanted to show, but I put my all into it. Honestly, I was particularly bold and risk-taking with all the art I attempted in that arc (~30 pages), and I guess I am proud that I stayed well outside my comfort zone.

I am most proud of the writing. The dialogue came out, I think, as emotionally charged as intended. It's a significant piece of character development and is kind of… super sincere somehow (between two angry, prideful characters).

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

An oldy but a goody: I think my short Lite Bites entry 'Out' was a standout, for so many reasons. It was one of those rare occasions when the end result actually came close to what I had intended. Also, I've always envied people who can write concise, engaging, self-contained short stories. I'm almost never able to do that, so for me putting together a decent short story is a significant accomplishment.

As for my longer stuff, I'm probably most proud of the conclusion to 'Death P#rn.' It almost justifies the 300-plus pages of gory mayhem and nonsense which preceded it. I said, "almost."

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

I remember Black Shuck from that Darkness song :d

Pinky TA 6 is my best: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Pinky_TA/4830267/
I used a fully textual script, it was an attempt at a fully structured story, I mostly kept to my deadlines, my art was on point, all the planets were in perfect alignment… The ending was disappointing but the rest was ok.
I'm proud of that one, I really pushed ahead when I was making it and I think it turned out well. It has a nice unified look for the whole piece and it's my first Pinky TA story with character interaction that continues consistently for more than one page!

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

usedbooks wrote:
After giving it some thought, I decided it must be this chapter: Stormy Thoughts. It is the last chapter of a longer arc (starting here – I love this whole arc.)

Not the best visually, although at the time it was. I was still experimenting with effects at the time, and this particular "episode" takes place at night in a rainstorm. I experimented with a lot of angles and expressions. I don't know if I did justice to the story/emotions I wanted to show, but I put my all into it. Honestly, I was particularly bold and risk-taking with all the art I attempted in that arc (~30 pages), and I guess I am proud that I stayed well outside my comfort zone.

I am most proud of the writing. The dialogue came out, I think, as emotionally charged as intended. It's a significant piece of character development and is kind of… super sincere somehow (between two angry, prideful characters).

That's a great scene, i can see why you picked it.

An oldy but a goody: I think my short Lite Bites entry 'Out' was a standout, for so many reasons. It was one of those rare occasions when the end result actually came close to what I had intended. Also, I've always envied people who can write concise, engaging, self-contained short stories. I'm almost never able to do that, so for me putting together a decent short story is a significant accomplishment.

Agreed on this one El cid. Not that anything you do is bad, but it's so short and effective it was probably a no brainer.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

From the 2012 DD Radio Play: bravo week

It was one of Gunwallace's great scripts with characters that really cried out for crazy 1940's film styling in classic black and white. It was total experimentation for me with free flowing design. Everything seemed to just come together and the finished pages exceeded my original vision. Abandoning all form of paneling just seemed so right with the page as one flow of images and action. I really wish I could do a whole comic like this but so far doubt I ever will as I have no idea how I did this to begin with. Maybe I didn't.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Wow, this is tough…! I don't have any particular pages that just stand out to me more than others!! I have issues with everyone… I guess… if I had to choose, I like the way the art came out on pages 259 and 260 of the Godstrain. I'm not sure what I did those pages - I've tried to replicate that look and it just doesn't come out right anymore. I hope that wasn't my high point - feels strange and a bit depressing to get worse as you progress along haha!

Great thread idea!

Banes
Banes
Posted at

I'm loving looking at these favorite pages of everyone's! Most I've seen before. Great stuff.

There are a few pages that come to mind for me; they're pages where the comedy really worked.

I could tell by the reader reaction, as well as my own reaction to the completed pages. Things just came together right in these pages to deliver a good surprise/laugh. Wish this would happen more often!

Abigail, TK, and the hillbillies:
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Typical_Strange/5376876/

Penelope and Wade following TK:
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Typical_Strange/5450545/

Thanks, buddy:
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Typical_Strange/5488271/

My favorite non-funny page is the ending to issue 6; I made the effort to work the theme in throughout the story to try and give the ending an emotional punch. Thought about it for a long time; it was very satisfying to finally do it!
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Typical_Strange/5426300/

I think my favorite story I've done is "Tapeheads", where TK and Oscar follow clues to find TK's missing vhs tapes. The story and art worked well, at least for my level. I just reread it and the panel layouts and everything look quite good to me.

CZweig
CZweig
Posted at

I always feel disingenuous when considering these kinds of questions, because I'm one of those "everything I do becomes terrible a whole three hours after I complete it" self-critics. Certain pages, panels, or sequences that I was quite fond of as I was drawing them, I now look back on and cringe, even on recent pages.

That said, I think I'll have a fondness for the seven-page spread First Blood forever. … or at least a very long time. There's a lot in terms of panel positioning, pacing, and visual storytelling that I was really pushing myself with and the result came out, honestly, better than I had anticipated when starting it.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

CZweig wrote:
I always feel disingenuous when considering these kinds of questions, because I'm one of those "everything I do becomes terrible a whole three hours after I complete it" self-critics. Certain pages, panels, or sequences that I was quite fond of as I was drawing them, I now look back on and cringe, even on recent pages.

I do that too. With things that I've written as well as things that I've drawn. I can usually tell how good something is that I've done by how long it takes me to start hating it.

Posted at

HippieVan wrote:
CZweig wrote:

I do that too. With things that I've written as well as things that I've drawn. I can usually tell how good something is that I've done by how long it takes me to start hating it.

I agree with this statement 100%. I guess I like my newer pages because I am improving, but also because It hasn't been long enough for me to dislike it yet haha.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

I'm with CZWeig and Ashtree House, though with considerably more justification - they both rock! I also differ in that I'm rarely happy with my work even when it's still shiny and new. I eventually had to decide to publish crap I was unhappy with or never publish anything at all. :/

Not actually a comic but my favourite page may be this one (just ignore the feet!): https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Heroes_Alliance_Monthly_Mayhem/5475492/ The character and feel I was going for just came through perfectly.

I'm also fairly happy with parts of this page: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/Tales_of_the_Unpredictable_Chaos/5515495/ I think the composition and pacing work well and the anatomy and lighting came off well on the bald guy and I think I managed to get his character across in the expression and posing. I can't quite decide if the way panel 1 and 2 are structured is genius or an abomination.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.