Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Drunk Duck Awards 2017 - Volunteer Sign Ups

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

At this time we need volunteers to start stepping forward to help get this inebriated mallard into the sky.  Here are the two most common positions, what they entail, and how to sign up (different rules for each one.) You can take an as many volunteering duties as you want. No artistic or judging skills necessary. 

Presenter

Do you like being in the spotlight? Do you want the everyone to see your art? If so, being a presenter is right for you. The presenters will have the month of August to create their presentation pages for the awards.  

Structure
The presentation pages need to have the nominees for the award, and leave a space for the name of the winner to be placed on the page. Some people leave a white space at the bottom and others leave speech bubbles. Either way it is up to you. The only rule regarding the presentation pages is that they have to be viewable by everyone. So, keep the pages PG at the worst and no slanderous/insulting remarks against other users/comics. 

There are two ways to sign up to be a presenter this year. Whichever way you sign up to be a presenter please state if you want to do more than one page and any likes or dislikes for the categories. We will try to accommodate.  Also, please include an email to be reached at in case the site crashes (not required by encouraged). You can either PQ me or email me at niccea(at)gmail(dot)com. Please include “Presenter Signup” in the subject line. If you don’t wish to provide an email, you can also sign up here.

….

Judge 

Do you like telling other people what you think? Do you quietly observe comics like a stalker in the corner? Consider judging. The judges are the heart and soul of the awards. It is up to them to decide the winners from each category. This is also done during the month of August.

Structure
Judges, though they are not expected to be professional art critics, are required to put some thought behind their decision. The best way for judges to show this is to do a pro and con comparison of the nominees. Though anything is all right as long as it is easy to see that some thought went into picking the winner. Judges are only responsible for reading the last year’s worth of comics for the nominees. (July 2016 – August 2017). The only exception to this is the Best Completed Comic where the judges are encouraged to read the entire comic.

If you already have an account on the Judges’ Forum. Go ahead and go to the thread set aside for judging sign ups and sign up. 
If you haven’t made an account yet,  go ahead and create one.  Post here or PQ me with the user name that you have used, so I know to activate the account. From there you can sign up to be a judge for this year on the forum. 
Please remember to post on the sign up thread on the other forum, so we know for sure that you are signing up to judge.

Other Opportunities

If you wish to contribute in any other way, please let me know here or by PQ. Extra pages are always accepted. Do what you do best.

I would really like to have a Judge Wrangler again this year. It really took a lot off my mind last year by having someone to help manage that piece of the awards. Let me know if you would be interested.

agentny003
agentny003
Posted at

Just out of curiosity, how do you earn trophies? Is it by vote is it by applying?

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I can do two presentations this year, and I forgot how many categories I helped judge last year… but I can judge that many again. I'll need to go check the Judges Forum…

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

agentny003 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how do you earn trophies? Is it by vote is it by applying?
You need to be nominated by popular ballot. The voting link is here:
https://goo.gl/forms/rORcxiGw8Lkecll03

Niccea also put together this snazzy banner you can post in your comic to try and steer your readers to the ballot page:

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

I replied on Judges Forum but will here as well (to encourage others to volunteer ;)). At first sign me up for three presentations and three judgings! Should the need come up, I can take on a few more (my comic is done and I'm not starting a new project just yet), but hopefully, other volunteers will fill up the slots!! *wink*

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

This year's Drunk Duck Awards needs some help. With a newborn in the house, I don't have the time for a full commitment. At the minimum, I would like someone to manage volunteer recruitment and the volunteers themselves. At the best, I would like to have someone(s) willing to take over the awards entirely. I can provide background assistance, ballot results, and "sagely" advice. I can only take on things that require small amounts of time commitment right now.

Posted at

I would like be a Presenter. It includes drawing. I game. Just tell me what you need

Udyr
Udyr
Posted at

I can present, I did last year and it was fun!

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Sign me up for as many presentations as you'll let me do. And I volunteer to be the last-minute fill-in guy when either someone else doesn't deliver on a presentation or a page is needed at the drop of a hat.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I'm working on getting the presenter assignments out now. I just like to note that I have 5 presentations that will still need owners and 8 more that I would like to have done, but are not required. Please keep an eye on your messages for your assignments. If you haven't signed up to volunteer yet, there is still time.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Hi, I'll do up to five presentations. Sorry, been distracted and not as clued in as before!

Posted at

Hey guys. We need some more judges so don't be shy! Even if you can only judge 1 category it'd be super helpful!

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

So, we're past the date of 'Beginning Ceremony' - is there any more judging or presentations in need of wrapping up?

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

This happened last year, too. We were like a week behind getting the awards show going.

If there are any categories left where I'm not an obvious conflict-of-interests because I'm nominated, I'd be happy to judge.

And if there are any where I *am* nominated, I'd be even happier to judge!

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

And if we're only missing a few categories and presentations, there's always the option of just posting what we already have while the rest gets finished up.

Unless there's still a LOT of stuff left to be done, in which case… **gulp!**

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

El Cid wrote:
This happened last year, too. We were like a week behind getting the awards show going.

If there are any categories left where I'm not an obvious conflict-of-interests because I'm nominated, I'd be happy to judge.

And if there are any where I *am* nominated, I'd be even happier to judge!

I don't remember it being late last year… but then, remembering is something I'm getting worse at! :)

Ditto for me on the judging…

Mika_yi
Mika_yi
Posted at

I don't have time to help judge anything, but I been back in the states since September, if you need another presentation, I can work on another one although I'd need to know how much time I would have before it due.

Posted at

Well, I did deliver my comic in time (it was due to sep 23rd). I was wondering what happened to the DD awards.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I think it's real life concerns. Babies and careers can be very demanding. I can wait to see the Godstrain/Transneptunian sweep. ;)

But I want to see the great presentation pages!

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

It would be nice to get an update, at least.

Banes
Banes
Posted at

We heard from Niccea, who is busy with her baby but is doing fine from what I can tell.

She said she's probably on track to have the Awards going in a couple weeks - I extended the offer (from me and the others here who offered) to help with whatever needs to be done but haven't heard back yet. We'll announce stuff on the front page too, when we have more specifics.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Thanks a bunch! Glad to know the awards will still be happening!

Banes
Banes
Posted at

The Awards are somewhat on track, but we have some unfinished business: Some unjudged categories (about five) and some unclaimed presentation pages (about seven)

I can pick up the slack on as much of this as I can. Anybody up for doing some presentations and/or judging?

Mika_yi
Mika_yi
Posted at

I could do another presentation. :) if that helps out.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.