Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Conflict of image

Posted at

I am sure everyone or at least many web comic writers can relate to the common scenario;

You are fairly popular in one place, but another face in the crowd in the other online. It can be a total ego bruiser when you want people to like your comic everywhere, but you face the big harsh truth that different sites have different crowds. It's not good. It's not bad. It's just the way the world works. Every place has different crowds so what appeals to one, will not appeal to the other.

Then remains the big harsh question; what do you do? Do you stay in all these sites even if you're not popular in all of them? While it can be very tempting to leave, my advice is stay in all of them. I learned this a long time ago and while the lack of drawing in crowds doesn't stop hurting your ego, you have to bigger than your ego and never burn bridges.

Not everyone is going to like your work and it's not act of spite to you so don't treat it like it's personal. And also, trends come and go and crowds fluctuate. Burning a bridge is a lost opportunity even if it may not happen now. Writing webcomics takes a substantial amount of patience and emotional resilience not just to criticism, but to also facing that you're not first place every race.

And that's ok.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Very good advice!
Though you only have so much energy to spread around. I myself Have limited my online energies to DD and Facebook pretty much. I used to be a lot more active all about but I don't feel I have the time now.

That's a separate thing though. I'm not turned off by not being as popular in other places. I don't mind that at all. Your advice is good!
If you have the time and the energy then stick with all the communities :)

Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
Very good advice!
Though you only have so much energy to spread around. I myself Have limited my online energies to DD and Facebook pretty much. I used to be a lot more active all about but I don't feel I have the time now.

That's a separate thing though. I'm not turned off by not being as popular in other places. I don't mind that at all. Your advice is good!
If you have the time and the energy then stick with all the communities :)

Well, I am active most on my main site and community.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.