Submissions ~ June 3rd - June 9th
Voting ~ June 10th - June 16th

Drunk Duck Awards Voting Opens ~ July 1st - July 28th

Tie Breakers (as needed) ~ July 29th - August 4th

Finalists Announced/Volunteers Assigned ~ August 5th - August 11th

Judging ~ August 12th - September 22nd

Emergency Wrap Up ~ September 23rd - October 6th

The Ceremony Begins ~ October 8th

We have done the For Your Consideration comics in three different ways.

1. Free for all - people just submit pages that say what they want their comics to be nominated for. There are not too many guidelines.
2. Theme - similar to above, but the pages have to match with an overarching theme. Sometimes, there are introduction and conclusion pages.
3. Comic Jam - the pages contribute to telling a story, but there are limits to how many people can participate due to time restrictions.

Personally, I like option two the best because it tells a loose story, but doesn't limit how many people participate.

Opening up discussions for this year, does anyone have any opinions about the FYC?

Emevsa
Emevsa
Posted at

I really like the idea of option 2. Plus the theme could carry over to the award ceremony as a nice book end.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Option two. Open ended enough for everyone to participate but enough common content to tell a cute story.

AmeliaP
AmeliaP
Posted at

I'm going with option #2. Because we can do a cool image compilation to convince the voters.

KimLuster
KimLuster
Posted at

Looks like I'm not gonna buck a trend - option 2 appeals to me the most as well!

Posted at

Option 2. It's nice to have a theme running thru the FYCs but the comic jam is to much.

Posted at

I was more inclined to option 1 (HA, here, I bucked the trend for you guys) but option 2 is also quite fun provided the connecting story is really loose so people have no restrictions in participation and opportunities to show off what they want readers to FYC their comic on..

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

DEFINITELY Option 1!

Oh yeah. Every vote counts. I matter!

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Option 3… just to be awkward.

Nah, that does make stuff harder. So let's plum with option 1.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Genejoke wrote:
Option 3… just to be awkward.

Nah, that does make stuff harder. So let's plum with option 1.

The one and only time we did the comic jam, it did have a good tie together. David and Chloe somehow made it to the awards.

Though I prefer to have a rough theme, we have had wonderful fyc runs underneath all options.

One thing I have done before when we had a theme was post the people that stuck with the theme. Or asked for a token tie in. For example: this page when the theme was to hunt for a new awards venue

Would that be a good compromise, or do we just want to do all or nothing?

Posted at

I like number 1. I’m not a big fan of guidelines, but i’m ok with whatever.
Also is there a list of categories the comics can be nominated for? If not will one be made?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Albino Ginger wrote:
I like number 1. I’m not a big fan of guidelines, but i’m ok with whatever.
Also is there a list of categories the comics can be nominated for? If not will one be made?

There is, I just need to copy/ paste it from last year.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I put in dates for the schedule, but I'm still open to adjustments.

Planning ~ Now - July

FYC Pages Accepted ~ May 28th - June 30th

The Drunk Duck Award Design Contest
Submissions ~ June 3rd - June 9th
Voting ~ June 10th - June 16th

Drunk Duck Awards Voting Opens ~ July 1st - July 28th

Tie Breakers (as needed) ~ July 29th - August 4th

Finalists Announced/Volunteers Assigned ~ August 5th - August 11th

Judging ~ August 12th - September 22nd

Emergency Wrap Up ~ September 23rd - October 6th

The Ceremony Begins ~ October 8th

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Might help if I put up the categories, eh?

GENRE AWARDS

Best Adventure Comic:
Quests, missions, explorations, and/or other dangerous or exciting ventures.

Best Adult-oriented Comic:
A-rated comics. XXX No one under 18 admitted! Live nudes! Or excessive violence. Or both!

Best All Ages Comic:
Child-friendly comics that the whole family can enjoy.

Best Anthropomorphic Comic:
They act like people and think like people, but they look like foxes or dolphins or toasters.

Best Community Project:
Comics and projects that bring together a variety of DD members for
massive synergy! (DD Awards are not eligible, for giving ourselves an
award would create a paradox vortex from which there is no escape.)

Best Drama:
A story focused on a real world setting and is character-driven with a focus on emotions. Courtroom dramas, medical dramas, crime dramas, romantic dramas, high school dramas (but when is high school not dramatic?), etc.

Best Fantasy Comic:
Magical, mythical, mystical, marvelous. Comics set in fantastical
settings, involving magic or mythical creatures, abilities, or beings.

Best Horror Comic:
The dark, scary, and twisted. Monsters, psychological thrillers, and
ax-wielding psychos all have their place among these wonderfully
horrific comics.

Best Humor Comic:
Gags, jokes, lols, roflmaos, and such. Format and subject matter aren't important. It just has to make you laugh.

Best Mystery/Crime/Noir:
Crime drama, police, mobsters, mysteries, hard-boiled detectives, and/or meddling kids.

Best Parody/Tribute:
Comics that use the characters, worlds, or creations of other creators. It's not copyright infringement! It's an homage!

Best Philosophical/Political Comic:
Make-you-think comics that address deep topics from the spiritual and philosophical to the cultural or political.

Best Sci-fi Comic:
A form of speculative fiction so named because the fantastical
elements are rooted in or explained by actual or fictional scientific
theory.

Best Superhero Comic:
Too super for other categories.

~~~~~

STYLE AWARDS

Best Action Within A Comic :
Chase scenes, fights, big explosions; CRASH POW ZOOM – you know the stuff

Best Manga Style Comic:
Comics inspired by the artistic style and conventions of Japanese cartooning.

Most Deliciously Offensive:
These f&%#@ comics might p^@(# you the f*^^@* off.

~~~~~

TECHNICAL AWARDS

Best Background Art:
The background, setting, environment, and surroundings. Including architecture, scenery, furniture, vehicles, etc.

Best Character Design:
The artistic design of the characters. This includes anatomy, facial
expressions, and clothing (but not speech, mannerisms, or
personality/actions).

Best Comic Layouts:
The components of visual storytelling that harmonize the artwork
into a page and direct flow and pacing. Includes panel shape and
position, placement of speech balloons, lettering, and general
readability.

Best Dialogue:
It's all about what they say and how they say it.

Best Plot Development:
The overall story composition and pacing, and the use of storytelling elements.

Best Use of Non-Traditional Medium:
Comics that use 3D rendering, Photography, Sprites, or Macaroni Art
Best Use of Traditional Medium:
Comics that use traditional artistic mediums or the computer to simulate them.

Most Improved Art:
The comic that shows the most artistic improvement between July 2016 and now.

~~~~~

CHARACTER AWARDS

Best Protagonist:
Contrary to popular belief, the protagonist is the main character of the story whether they are good or evil.

Best Antagonist:
Opposes the protagonist. Doesn't necesarily have to be evil
incarnate, it could be Superman in a comic about Lex Luthor for example.

Best Supporting Character:
A noteworthy secondary character; can be good, bad, or other.

~~~~~

USER AWARDS
Outstanding Achievement Within the Community:
The
user that will win this award is always there to particpate in the
community no matter what. These people show their support for the site
within the forums and by participating in community projects.

Most Dedicated Creator:
That creator who seems to be a page-making machine, every day on
time – or maybe the one who has been at it forever and has a thousand
pages of the most amazing quality – or the one who is updating five
different regular comics on a schedule. Whatever they are doing, they
sure are DEDICATED.

Most Supportive Reader:
Maybe they leave the most comments or the most insightful ones, or
they draw wonderful fanart, or they are always available to discuss your

script ideas or send you cards when you're on hiatus.

Best Newcomer Award
Awarded to a newcomer who has come to the site who has really stood out. They could be creators or dedicated readers

~~~~~

THE BIG ONES

Best Completed Comic:
Comics that were concluded sometime between July 2017 and now. (Indefinite hiatus doesn't count.)

Best Overall Comic Strip:
Best webcomic with stand-alone updates or short, unrelated story arcs, usually in a horizontal or vertical strip format.

Best Overall Story Comic:
Best webcomic that tells a continuous story, usually in full page format.

~~~~~

Create Your Own Award
Didn't see the proper award for the comic/person you were thinking of on this
list? Make one up. Create your own award and give it a winner. Best
awards will be chosen by a dedicated team of judges.
Last call to make changes to categories (and to help with a short description for the Drama A.ward)

~~~~~

OTHER AWARDS

Readers' Choice Award: Presented to the comic that received the most votes overall.

Best Presenter Award: Presented after the regular awards. Readers vote for their favorite presenter.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Ok. Kawaii, the Awards Publicist, is really getting some people chomping at the bit to get started, so I'm going to move conversation along.

To compromise between the two camps how about a real simple theme?

My idea: movies

Since the awards are the Oscars of DD, how about we do something movie related. This gives a big range. People can make their pages to look like movie posters. Or even make them like those trailers that run around the season "nominated for 3 awards," "plymayer gives 5 stars," "featured in May 2018," etc. Or even give us behind the scenes that looks at what your characters do to make their comic.

That a good compromise?

And any change suggestions to the category list. It is HUGE.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

That's right up my alley since most of my comics are supposed to be motion pictures.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
That's right up my alley since most of my comics are supposed to be motion pictures.

I confess I was inspired by some of your previous extras and FYCs

Posted at

I have been wondering for some years, if we have a Best Manga category, shouldn't we have more categories along that line, like Best Cartoon or Best Realism or some such thing? I am not sure how I'd name them per se but why not?

Also, perhaps the Philosophical/Political category should be split or rephrased? Philosophical and Political aren't the same thing. Also, they might be too narrow.

Finally, how about a Best Historical category? It can include any webcomic that has a researched historical element not just full blown historical like mine. Especially since lately we have a few new good ones.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Tantz_Aerine wrote:
I have been wondering for some years, if we have a Best Manga category, shouldn't we have more categories along that line, like Best Cartoon or Best Realism or some such thing? I am not sure how I'd name them per se but why not?

Also, perhaps the Philosophical/Political category should be split or rephrased? Philosophical and Political aren't the same thing. Also, they might be too narrow.

Finally, how about a Best Historical category? It can include any webcomic that has a researched historical element not just full blown historical like mine. Especially since lately we have a few new good ones.
The lazy answer is tradition. I've been lobbying to remove manga style for years, but I haven't gained traction. I try not the arbitrarily make changes to the awards because they are supposed to be user run not Niccea dictated.

Philosophical/Political were combined at one point because neither stand alone category had enough contenders to merit keeping them separate, and they were closish. But, I think that the demographics have change enough to split them or drop one.

All that being said, we barely get enough volunteers to judge or present the categories that we do have. So, logistically, I would prefer to cut categories rather than add. But, once again, my word isn't law on this. I would like to hear other opinions.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

I think manga has come back on DD so there could be some competition. We really didn't have that many historical comics until this year but if we have the crime category, you could argue for historical.

But I don't think so. I think a best historical for now would be in the "create your own" category (along with a best researched award perhaps). And since most are dramas– best drama.

Some of the categories are just under nominated because the readers just aren't voting. I think I proved with Da-tu back in Tales of SIG that the thing about the character awards is on the creator going out and campaigning for the character as opposed to just hoping the readers will notice.

When it comes to voting the people are going to remember the creator who suggested a character and vote for that character. Or it'll just go to Kimber Lee because when asked that's all anyone can remember then after the award goes to her because only that character got more than 2 votes people will hit their head saying "Oh yeah, X from Comic Y! I should have voted for her! Love that character!"

Best completed could benefit from someone listing the completed comics since July 2017 so people actually know what comic is eligible.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.