Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

People Who Critique Comics

Posted at

A Drunk Duck news post from today got me thinking. (Here's the post I'm talking about in question https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/news/2019/jan/20/drawing-the-red-line/)

In the post the author, Amelius, talks about their problem with certain types of criticisms of comics and in it they mentioned that they like things like the sort of fun riffing style of criticism of thing like Mystery Science Theater 3000. That got me thinking about various different things I could think of that were sort of like MST3K but for webcomics.

I tend to like those sorts of riff style things too but thinking about it most of the examples I could think of were either about movies, like the aforementioned MST3K, or about video games, like the Angry Video Game Nerd and the many people he inspired. When I thought about it I could only think of a few examples of people or groups who do those sorts of
comedic-critique/riff style of things on comics.

I did come up with a few examples though that I would recommend to people though:

First of all on this very website a few years back there was a comic called "The Webcomic Review Comic On The Web" by a couple of people on this very website who did reviews of webcomics, most of them from Drunk Duck, in the form of a comic. It isn't active anymore but here's a link to the old pages of it: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Webcomic_Review_Comic_On_The_Web/

Secondly I could think of a couple of Youtubers who do comedic riffs/reviews of comics. There's Linkara, who does reviews of Comic Books mostly: https://www.youtube.com/user/reuisu/videos. And there's WebcomicRelief who does reviews of webcomics (although I don't think he's ever done any webcomics from this website): https://www.youtube.com/user/WebcomicRelief/videos

The last example of a group that does comedy reviews of webcomics I could think if was the Bad Webcomics Wiki. They are, as the name implies, a Wiki who do written reviews of webcomics they consider bad. Some of their reviews can be pretty caustic but I'd still recommend a lot of their reviews: http://badwebcomicswiki.shoutwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page

So anyway that was a few examples I could think of of people who do comedic critiques of comics. I posted this for a few reasons:

1. So people could check some of these things if they wanted since I would personally recommend all of the ones I linked to.

2. See what people thought. Do you like these things? Do you have problems with any of them individually or with these sorts of criticisms in general?

3. Are there any other people or groups you can think of that review comics and if so what are they? One of the things that struck me when thinking about it was how many more of these comedic review style things you get on movies and video games than you do on comics.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I did guest art for TWRCOTW. Wow, that was a long time ago. I'll bet those guys are both dead now.

The now defunct anthology series Lite Bites also had a running webcomic review segment where we took a critical look at other Drunk Duck comics. I'd be lying if I said they were the best reviews on the web, but they were the best reviews on the web.

I only really take issue with sites like Badwebcomics Wiki, where they're actually trying to be nasty and disparaging toward creators, and very often they're going after the lowest hanging fruit. That's not cool. Like, I get it that you can extract some constructive nuggets out of these reamings, but it's still blatant cyber bullying. I'm also annoyed that they've never bothered to review any of my stuff.

lothar
lothar
Posted at

First of all on this very website a few years back there was a comic called "The Webcomic Review Comic On The Web" by a couple of people on this very website who did reviews of webcomics, most of them from Drunk Duck, in the form of a comic. It isn't active anymore but here's a link to the old pages of it: https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Webcomic_Review_Comic_On_The_Web/

ahahahaha, My comic was the last one they reviewed
and they hated it apearently
but somehow the image is gone … it was THAT bad

also
this guy Solar Sands talks trash on mostly Deviant art stuff
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR6LasBpceuYUhuLToKBzvQ

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The Webcomic review on Drunk duck supposedly was killed by a scathing review of a comic on the Bad Webcomics wiki. Turned out someone who loved to dish it out couldn't take it.

I kind of like Bad Webcomics wiki as it does offer lots of constructive feedback and the stuff they review honestly often deserves the trashing they give it.

I've never received criticism that I hadn't worked very hard to deserve. Tell me what's wrong and I'll fix it. I've changed over the years based on criticism I've gotten in the past. I was in the army, ain't nothing anyone can say where I haven't already heard far worse.

But then many never get past my choice of medium.

Hapoppo
Hapoppo
Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:

I kind of like Bad Webcomics wiki as it does offer lots of constructive feedback and the stuff they review honestly often deserves the trashing they give it.

This might be easier for me to say since I haven't had any of my work there (yet), but yeah, if you can roll with the punches BWW can be seen more as "tough love" than bullying. I think the most disagreeable advice I've seen them give is that some of them seem hung up on certain styles not having noses or being… Err, stylized.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Hapoppo wrote:
bravo1102 wrote:

This might be easier for me to say since I haven't had any of my work there (yet), but yeah, if you can roll with the punches BWW can be seen more as "tough love" than bullying. I think the most disagreeable advice I've seen them give is that some of them seem hung up on certain styles not having noses or being… Err, stylized.
Usually because the stylization is poorly done, unnecessary or just a part of deeper flaws.

And considering I have used the MST3K crew to riff on my comic when I realize it's plunging to new depths of awfulness I doubt anyone will ever suggest any of my stuff. I have a reputation for doing it to myself anyway. ;)

I really doubt they could say anything worse than I have done to my own work while i'm trying to brighten my spirits.

Oh yeah, the Holidays are done, time to change the avatar back to Jay Sherman from the The Critic.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

El Cid wrote:
I did guest art for TWRCOTW. Wow, that was a long time ago. I'll bet those guys are both dead now.

The now defunct anthology series Lite Bites also had a running webcomic review segment where we took a critical look at other Drunk Duck comics. I'd be lying if I said they were the best reviews on the web, but they were the best reviews on the web.

I still laugh whenever I think of the crossing death review.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.