Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Making your comic in Vertical Scrolling format

Avart
Avart
Posted at

Hello!

I'd like to share some tips in making your comic in the Vertical Scrolling format.

I'm not going to teach you anything about how to make a comic, I'm far from being the one to do that ;), and I'm not against the traditional comic layout page, I used to make my comic in that format some time ago. And I love both formats, I'm not saying one is better than the other… just to be clear.

That's some stuff that could help you make your webcomic more interesting in this format.

But what's about the technical stuff?
Ok, I make my comic in a very traditional way, here's the sketch of the first part of chapter 8:

First, the sketch. I use a very large canvas to work and place the most of the chapter, 800px width x 30,000 - 50,000px height.

You see that I put a lot of notes and stuff so I can remeber some of the ideas I have in mind. Then I add inks, tones and textures and the final stage is to add speech bubbles, text and SFX.

When the file is ready, I split it into pieces (normally a mobile screen is 800px x 1280px). I use this site to do that. It's free and you could adjust some settings to get a better quality. The final file size may vary (180 - 300MB), so you need to adjust some stuff to fit the restriction of 20MB that The Duck have. Once you convert your file to .jpg, it needs to be under 20MB.

This way, you can upload your files without any trouble.

Well, this is some tips and I'm sure that there are a lot more and different ways to get the things done, so, I hope you like this tutorial and please, feel free to ask anything or share your own experience making this type of format.

You can read my comic here in DrunkDuck and here in Webtoons

Thanks for reading!

ShaRose49
ShaRose49
Posted at

Wow, seems like there are even more emotional beats in a scrolling comic than usual! Challenging, but cool!

Dera Nuel
Dera Nuel
Posted at

Thanks for this!! I've been thinking of drawing another comic in webtoon format and I've really been confused about the whole process. This was really helpful.

Posted at

Is it possible to post comics here in stroller format? I can change my comic over for posting here but that's more work…

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

trashpanda_deluxe wrote:
Is it possible to post comics here in stroller format? I can change my comic over for posting here but that's more work…
Can you please explain what that is?
I haven't heard of that format.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

trashpanda_deluxe wrote:
Was this autocorrect? Type in scroller and stroller is a suggestion.

If you mean scroller format scroll up and you'll see how one artist creates a page in that format.

And their comics are posted here. Download a scroll as a page. Not the whole chapter, but where it makes sense to put in a page break. See above for an idea of format size (800 x 50,000?)

It can be posted here just like any other page.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Unless it's sidescrolling. We can't do that here…

Personally I think we should allow it.

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

There are two ways to do it. One is pretty much as what Avart has posted above and on his comic.

https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Gloom/5610743/

The other is the author comment section. The comment section has all the permissions to put a scrolling page, YouTube and even gif animation as displayed by ElCid.

https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/TransNeptunian/5578412/

I wish we could get those formats in the “Add Page” section.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

cdmalcolm1 wrote:
There are two ways to do it. One is pretty much as what Avart has posted above and on his comic.

https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/The_Gloom/5610743/

The other is the author comment section. The comment section has all the permissions to put a scrolling page, YouTube and even gif animation as displayed by ElCid.

https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/TransNeptunian/5578412/

I wish we could get those formats in the “Add Page” section.
That's Brilliant man!
Though the youtube vid is only an image link and not the video.

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

That's Brilliant man!
Though the youtube vid is only an image link and not the video.

Ah, I see… noted.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.