Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

How Athletic are your Characters?

Posted at

In my comic, Stringy and Mopy: The Adventure Begins and its upcoming sequel volume, Stringy and Mopy: World's Finest, I had it where my character Stringy does a series of acrobatic moves much like Harley Quinn.

Exactly how athletic and how skilled in fighting are your characters?

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

In Chapter 2 of my comic, there's a big fight scene inside a luxury suite at a Triton colosseum. There's a lot of acrobatic maneuvers going on, but it begs the question just how much of that is enabled by the low gravity. The characters are cyborgs, but it's still not clear that they'd be able to pull of the same feats in Earth gravity. They may actually be LESS athletic than modern humans… though I doubt it.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Pinky isn't very athletic, though she has a hot little bod.
Cc though is very athletic. She can do pretty much anything :D

Avart
Avart
Posted at

Well, talking about the humans (in this case, girls) in my comics, none are athletic. But the vampires… they're the real deal.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

The Brandon sisters are all pretty athletic. Belle is constantly working out to "keep her assets from sagging". She always does most of her own stunts and is an advanced fighter with various qualifications.

To flesh them out I specified what sports they did in HS to show the difference in personality and how inconvenient Belle's large rack has been. (She was kicked off the track team because it was just too distracting.)

The Robofemoid conversion process increases muscle mass, increases flexibility and programs fighting skills into the subject so as is said in Battle of the Robofemoids; the mark IV can beat a Jedi.

I try to put in as much hand to hand as I can inspired by several other comics. Fight scenes are so much fun to do. I'll probably try a few sports scenes too as background for the comic with the Brandon sisters Belle's Best

usedbooks
usedbooks
Posted at

Mine are mostly doughy or scrawny city folk. But there are a couple athletes. Yuki and Brad both practice martial arts. And there is one antagonist who can and does overpower people (including Yuki). It's not really a "fighting" story. Tristan is a bit of an acrobat, but that's kinda on the down-low. When it happens, it's surprising to everyone. (He's a talented cat burglar, but mostly a self-conscious bumbler.)

Alex is athletic too, but I'm not sure he's been in what you can call an actual fight. He's athletic because he's actually an athlete. He plays baseball at the university.

Posted at

I had a few athletic characters. Stringy has the acrobatic attributes of Harley Quinn though. A trained fighter since she fights in a competitive MMA underground fighting ring, a trained gymnast, basically, she's peak-human (when she does not have her powers around her).

Snow White or Tiffany Bridges or Kim Cho Lee, is FAR more experienced since she was a trained assassin and ex-Special Forces for the US Military. She regularly trains her body, and like Stringy, she is pretty much peak-human.

Pappy is also athletic regarding his age (he's 76), expert in Gun Kata, and martial arts prowess (boxing and judo). Example of old prime.

And that's just the few characters so far.

Posted at

Fotis is rather athletic. Basil too. Martha has endurance but I don't think she ever really worked out. Most of my cast is just hardy.

dr_pingas
dr_pingas
Posted at

Hunter is a slob, but she always finds ways to burn calories. Ros mostly stays in shape due to the high maintenance required by their ship.

hushicho
hushicho
Posted at

A lot of my characters are fit and often muscular, but only a few of them are truly athletic, now that I think of it. It is pretty fun to contrast them when you have a few characters you're concentrating on. I remember in my comic H18, the main character wasn't particularly athletic (nor was he particularly muscular), but his servant was super athletic, strong, well-built, and quite potent. The contrast made it not only easier to distinguish them, but also helped to keep the action varied.

rickrudge
rickrudge
Posted at

My comic characters are very athletic as apposed to me sitting on my fat ass drawing them. :-) My Drako the barbarian character is sword fighting, based on some of my Kendo experience, and my sleazy Portland detective, Tag Forester has thrown a few punches in his stories. And, then there’s all of those sexual positions that require strength and flexibility.

— Rick Rudge

PIT_FACE
PIT_FACE
Posted at

Tredd's the only one who's pretty athletic. he can fight, too. His background as a Bunkerian makes him supah' skilled.

Blitzov is also somewhat athletic but to a far lesser extent. He hikes, more or less but he's not about to win the Olympics. Also despite the sword and all he really isnt very skilled as a fighter at all. It's something he's pretty much just picked up and had to figure out himself. There are no "grand masters" in Bunkeria and they haven't had an actual threat in a very long time. So far. his enemies arent skilled either yet, so it has worked out for him. He's athletic in that he can wave the sharp thing around but compared to Tredd he is really not skilled. I guess you'd say he has an unmolded athleticism.

Bones isnt very athletic at all. Both he and Igor are in the "i dont move unless i need to" sort of group. When Bones fights he's more of a bruiser. Not at all an acrobat and Igor would much rather blow the whole thing up rather than throw down. Physically, They're pretty average.

Posted at

Stringy is pretty much acrobatic in regards to her physical ability. She fought a lot of foes in her time plus to the extend of being trained under Pappy and Snow White, one of the veterans of the Sky-Titans guild. Her athleticism can extend to that of Harley Quinn but not as advanced as Nightwing (that would be Snow White's territory). Aside from learning Capoeira (Brazilian Kung Fu) and Muay Thai, shes pretty much of a standard martial artist.

Snow White on the other hand has FAR more experience than Stringy. And I mean far more. Snow White could take out at least 3 or 4 guys at once, a gifted swordswoman, and marksman. She makes Stringy look like an armature.

Pappy is just a standard bruiser but a gifted boxer and fluent user of the martial art of Gun kata. In his day, he was more like Stringy ij regards to physical attribute. He is fairly strong for his age and in peak-physical shape.

DeanZeeks
DeanZeeks
Posted at

Well in my comic Steve and Melvin I try different body types and thus different athletic levels:
Steve: the main character is mildly unfit due to him relying on his psychic powers, though he has some arm and leg strength his core is very weak
Melvin: the other main character is very gymnastic though he hides it and only reveals it to seduce other men who caught his eye
Bianca: one beefy girl! due to her genetic and cultural heritage, she's extremely bulky to a super human level which is apparent from her huge frame
King Sebastian: very flexible and lean for a 55 years old man

Posted at

A lot of my main characters tend to be extremely athletic because they work for an organization that deals with monsters, plus magical powers but primarily chancing down vampire requires to be kind of fit.

How they approach things is different.

Nakamura Rex is lite, his fighting style is kind of like Daredevil or Spiderman, constantly moving around with hard yet quick strikes.

Pollyanna Faustenstein is a tank despite her appearance, doesn't move around a lot, hits hard and takes a lot of damage.

Posted at

Well, Richard has played baseball and football his whole life, plus he's taken a few kickboxing classes and he stays fit in order to race so I'd say he's pretty athletic.

Shawa only ever raced but she did have to stay fairly athletic. Zoey, on the other hand, ran some track and field in her youth and she likes to keep herself in shape. Poor Keiji isn't athletic at all and this leads to some embarrassing moments.

Peipei
Peipei
Posted at

Roxy isn't very athletic, she's more of a homebody. Ronig on the other hand is extremely athletic across the board. He was raised since birth to be very physically fit and an all around sportsman back in his hometown.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.