Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

How to publish joke comic series -- tips or advice

Posted at

Hey folks,

Looking for advice and ideas on simple ways to publish a series of joke comics online. I have like 150 comics (about 3-6 frames long for each) that I'd like to publish online on a weekly basis or something.

What are some website formats that are easy to use and not expensive? I hear Wordpress is pretty easy but is it true you have to know HTML? Not into learning that :/

All I need is a webpage creator that is simple to use and easy for me to upload my shit. Any ideas?

Thank you for your time!!

Iain Murray
I Wear My Pants Held High

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

Most people who post their comics via WordPress use a theme like comicpress or similar, which is designed for the purpose and should make life easier. I haven't used those myself but I hear there's still a bit of a learning curve in using and managing them. I'm sure others here can advise.

The easiest method is to post on sites like this one and Comicfury, maybe Tapas and/or Webtoon for another audience and even a site like Instagram can work well for gag strips. The advantage of these is you can use them in addition to having your own site if you want, but they come with built in user bases. If you just have your own site, you then have to find a way to drive traffic to it.

El Cid
El Cid
Posted at

I've used ComicPress, but it was a long, long time ago. You don't necessarily need to know any HTML (or PHP or CSS) to use it. Any modern mainstream hosting service should have auto-installers for it already bundled into their base services, so getting it up and running just takes a few clicks of the mouse.

However, if you want to customize things and do something outside the intended core functionalities of the software, you will very quickly run into a brick wall without some programming know-how. Also, at least at the time I was using it, there were some significant security vulnerabilities associated with Wordpress. My site got hacked a couple of times and I suspect that's how they got in. So be sure to look into what the proper safeguards and settings are for Wordpress before you install it.

Posted at

This is great, thanks folks. I really appreciate it.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.