Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

I'm gonna let my comics speak for themselves from now on.

Posted at

Hi everyone!

I'm making this thread because there's been some self-assessment going on for me lately and I would like to use the conclusion I've made from it to help clear out a few things.

The time that I've been hosting comics on this site I've been very eager to define and explain the "intent", the "idea", the "objective", behind the comics, as well as the "identity", of the comics that I've been uploading now and the once I've been planning to upload.

I have in the past been spouting these long and important-sounding definitions about the stories I write, as if this stuff that I haven't even fully displayed (hell, most of it I haven't even written yet)is all some kind of super-important stuff.

I fear now that this may or may not have made me come off as someone who has some sort of elitist attitude towards art and storytelling. Like I'm trying to give the impression that my stuff is better then everyone elses, that I have the webcomic creator's Midas touch and I can turn my farts into mind-altering incense, or some nonsense like that.

That is totally not how I wanna come across, it's not who I am, and I wanna put an end to me coming across like that, if that is how I've ever come across to any of you guys.

Truth is I've just been plain delusional about my creative process and me as a creator for some time. I don't really know what all that I write and draw is for, maybe my previous descriptions fits some of it or maybe it doesn't fit any of it at all. I don't have any proof of it being as I've liked to describe it, so how the hell can I even know, right?

My point is, I'm just gonna let my comics speak for themselves from now on. I'm not even gonna try to define them or explain them from now on. There's no big idea, no grand intent, no shining objective at all, as far as any of you need to be concerned, beyond just me playing with the medium for the heck of it. It will simply be whatever it will be, wether it is, on some level, "inspired" stuff, or just plain entertaining stuff, or neither.

At the end of the day I'm just an ordinary guy who loves the sound if his own voice, who just loves to write and draw stories about a troublemaking, seal-lady that blows bubbles eating soap and raunchy, little, insectoid, fairy-people that gives even your best bug exterminator a hard time, and who knows what else kind of nonsense I might come up with^^

Sorry if this come across as weird to you guys, I am a weird guy (and proud of it^^), and I just really needed to vent this stuff to you.

Let me know what you guys think. Does any of this stuff make any sense to you at all or am I just being silly?

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Not at all. I'm pretty sure that I might have said something similar during the production of 1000 pages of webcomics over the past dozen or so years.

I think it is safe to say that many creators have felt the same. I once was in an art exhibit and met a wonderful woman there who really inspired me to finally like modern abstract pieces.

She pointed to one and said that the creator didn't care about anyone's interpretation of his work and that it should speak for itself. What it says to the audience is what matters, not anything he says.

I can talk about the worlds I've created or my creative process, but as to the meaning of anything I turn out? Just read it and get back to me. As far as I'm concerned it's crap but I love and hate turning it out and the darn things have attracted an audience.

I have how many finished stories? But I have a thumbdrive full of scripts still to produce and I need to stop worrying and start working. That's what I say to everyone. Work and let it happen. A lot of times it'll take on a life of its own and be just fine and you're just there to record it. Do what you love and love what you do.

Posted at

bravo1102 wrote:
Not at all. I'm pretty sure that I might have said something similar during the production of 1000 pages of webcomics over the past dozen or so years.

I think it is safe to say that many creators have felt the same. I once was in an art exhibit and met a wonderful woman there who really inspired me to finally like modern abstract pieces.

She pointed to one and said that the creator didn't care about anyone's interpretation of his work and that it should speak for itself. What it says to the audience is what matters, not anything he says.

I can talk about the worlds I've created or my creative process, but as to the meaning of anything I turn out? Just read it and get back to me. As far as I'm concerned it's crap but I love and hate turning it out and the darn things have attracted an audience.

I have how many finished stories? But I have a thumbdrive full of scripts still to produce and I need to stop worrying and start working. That's what I say to everyone. Work and let it happen. A lot of times it'll take on a life of its own and be just fine and you're just there to record it. Do what you love and love what you do.

Well said, Bravo. Thank you.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

ElizabethGibbs wrote:
The charge is fit for the hopeful attitude for the turns for people.

In times like these, we can all take comfort from that.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
ElizabethGibbs wrote:
The charge is fit for the hopeful attitude for the turns for people.

In times like these, we can all take comfort from that.
Hahaha, I had to delete her account XD

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.