Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
bluecuts34
bluecuts34
Posted at

Hi everyone!

Welcome to the DDDDD&D* session!

If you’re a Quackcast listener or lurk in the discord, then you already know that we’re in the stages of planning an anthology featuring comics from around the Duck. If you’re a forum regular you know also that this idea got floated around last year as a fundraiser - a special thanks to Genejoke for getting that original forum thread going, and drumming up so much hype for this project!

I'm Mal (or Bluecuts34), and I'm your friendly lead editor on the Drunk Duck anthology. We've also got PIT-FACE and Aggie on board as editors and the Duck site admin team lurking in the background. Ominously.

"But what's this anthology???? Why now???"

This'll be a volunteer anthology to support the redevelopment of the site - this community is the best thing about the Duck, so let's harness it together. It was discussed a little last year how nice some new feathers on this bird would be, so this anthology will aim to give the admins the cash they need to make this the comic site of our dreams.

We have a plan - after consulting with the site admins, we've got a basic shape to this anthology:

Digital release
    Full colour
    Featuring talents of the Duck community in comic and illustration form
    E-A rated (we'll get to that in a sec)
    Proceeds going to support the redevelopment of the site

And some dates:

Midnight, July 31st: voting closes.
    August 1st: theme is announced, pitches open. We’ll run some voice chat info sessions over on the discord, hosted by one of the editors.
    August 31st: pitches close.

Right now, we're in voting. This'll close on July 31st, so once we've tallied the votes, we'll announce the winning theme on August 1st. Then, we'll be taking pitches for comics of E-A rating. Each person can submit a story from 1-16 pages.

The anthology itself will be split into two - one T rated SFW version with all the naughty bits removed, if that’s not your cup of tea, and one A rated version with the full complement of stories. They'll be priced accordingly depending on how many stories fall into each category.

If you’re not able to contribute a comic, you’re welcome to submit a single page illustration and we’d be delighted to feature that too! Even if you are making a comic, you’re welcome to contribute an illustration as well.

We’ll be running this in stages, so after pitches close, you’ll be able to send in your pitches and scripts to the anthology email. Don’t worry - we’re not here to gatekeep or critique, this is just for keeping track of the artists and having an idea on who’s doing what. An interest check, if you will.

We’ll have more updates on the anthology once voting has closed - expect another post from me around the 1st of August with more information.

If you’ve got questions, unending praise, or concerns you can either contact any of the three editors on the duck or you can email this very special email address that’s for the anthology: drunkduckanthology@gmail.com. Or you can comment here because this is a forum.

You can keep up to date with the anthology chat in real time on the discord here

And once again, voting is open! Go vote! EDIT: be sure to use your DUCK username when putting your name in!

There will be a front page blog post version of this post with the exact same info, so please don't be confused if that drops in the next few hours.

*discussion and deets, the closes I'll get to D&D for months hahaaaaa stay at home

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

OK, cool beans. Great post and good summary!

Can we get Genejoke into the team on this somewhere? he's realy good and getting writers and artists together and knows a lot of people at DD.

bluecuts34
bluecuts34
Posted at

ozoneocean wrote:
OK, cool beans. Great post and good summary!

Can we get Genejoke into the team on this somewhere? he's realy good and getting writers and artists together and knows a lot of people at DD.

That's a great idea! I made sure to reach out before this post went up so he's always more than welcome on the team.

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

I like the idea of Halloween/horror if the time frame works for getting it done for then.

yeonwoo
yeonwoo
Posted at

I voted but I had to look up some words meanings. ㅠ.ㅠ english is not my first language. I am happy to see it’s being started. I need to listen to the pod casts. ^^

Posted at

Hey everyone! Just a reminder to please sign the voting poll with your drunk duck username and not your real name! I don't know the names of everyone here and I won't able to confirm who is who and who voted, so if you vote using your real name and I can't confirm it I will not count your vote (it will be tossed out) and you won't be able to vote again, this is IP-based and VPN users cannot vote either.

HOWEVER if you do know you voted with your real name please contact me, let me know what your real name is and I will count it then. If you don't get back to me I will toss it.

Posted at

//////UPDATE\\\\\\\
August 1st 2020

Guess what theme has been chosen?? HORROR.

Horror is our theme! So what is our next step??

From August 1st to August 31st we will be accepting your pitches.

What is this pitch?
The pitch is a summary of the idea you have for your story, if you’re planning on doing only illustrations please go ahead and send us thumbnails!

Where to send the pitch:
drunkduckanthology@gmail.com
Title your email using PITCH(username-date)
Example, my email title would be: PITCH-damehelsing-8/1/2020 (this is for organization purposes.)

Information to include in your email:
- Who’s working on it. (Your duck-username/your name)
- If you are under 18.
- How many pages will you need. (Remember, you can use anything from 1 page to 16 pages max.)
- What is the beginning – middle – end of your story.
- Is your story SFW or NSFW.
- Let us know your rating: E (for everyone) – A (for adults only)
- Illustrations: send us your thumbnails, doesn’t need to be a concrete idea, after all it’s a thumbnail!

!!IMPORTANT INFORMATION AND REMINDERS!!

- If you are under 18 and looking to submit you absolutely MUST include this in your email as this could create legal trouble.

- Characters and story must clearly be in public domain, anything skirting the legal boundaries may be rejected.

- You cannot use images you don’t own. This includes stock background.

- Our theme is horror, make sure your pitch/story/illustrations follow the theme accordingly.
Horror does not necessarily mean terrifying, it could be something cute. It is a broad theme, explore your options.

- Page sizes and info:
• Use ka-blam’s sizing for 7”x10.5” for your pages, with submissions being in 300dpi RGB .tiff formats ( https://ka-blam.com/main/standard-sized-page-template/ )
◦ Double page spreads are fine
◦ 1-16 pages
◦ Full color, black and white, or tones are all fine
Stories must be stand alone, they can tie into your comic, but please make sure it’s readable to those unfamiliar with your work.

- We ask that you do not at any time show your work publicly as this is to aid the DrunkDuck website and give it good revamp and bring it to 2020. Publishing your work elsewhere other than inside the anthology will do more harm than good. :[

- Editors: damehelsing(aka Aggie), bluecuts34(aka Mal), PIT-FACE, reserve the right to reject your pitch or ask for alterations if it is un-publishable.

- Your pitch is NOT your submission. Submissions will begin starting September 1st. (more information will come for when submissions open)

- Just for fun, we request that you include a duck hidden somewhere in your story or illustrations. ;]

Editors also follow the same guidelines as participants.

Alright!
You made it to the end of the post! Keep in mind, the deadline for your pitch is August 31st, now go out there and be creative!!

dpat57
dpat57
Posted at

Just curious, what was the vote spread like?

I don't usually do standard page sizes (webcomics being infinite canvas length) so I thought I'd just copy Ka-blam's sample page and use it, but weirdly it's 21.88 x 32.81 inches instead of 7 x 10.5 inches. Those jokers!

bluecuts34
bluecuts34
Posted at

dpat57 wrote:
Just curious, what was the vote spread like?

I don't usually do standard page sizes (webcomics being infinite canvas length) so I thought I'd just copy Ka-blam's sample page and use it, but weirdly it's 21.88 x 32.81 inches instead of 7 x 10.5 inches. Those jokers!

I had a quick look at the vote spread a day or so before it closed and horror won by a landslide.

Ka-blam going and confusin' everyone!

Thanks Aggie for putting this one up! I'm really excited to for everyone's pitches to come in and to start making this thing a reality.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

damehelsing wrote:

- We ask that you do not at any time show your work publicly as this is to aid the DrunkDuck website and give it good revamp and bring it to 2020. Publishing your work elsewhere other than inside the anthology will do more harm than good. :[

Would this extend to people posting work in progress updates on their social media, as a way of promoting the anthology?

Posted at

Ironscarf wrote:
damehelsing wrote:

Would this extend to people posting work in progress updates on their social media, as a way of promoting the anthology?

When the time comes, as far as I'm aware, after submissions, depending on how many pieces you do, what type of work you make, you will be allowed to display a certain amount of pieces in hopes of getting the anthology out there. We will also eventually ask if any participants wish to make their own ad banners to help advertise the anthology they absolutely can.
This is to be discussed in the future, however showing off all your pieces or your short story somewhere that isn't the anthology isn't approved of but we can't really stop you.
It will however defeat the purpose of this anthology.

Posted at

Sorry for the delay everyone! I had my own personal/technical issues but it's already September 3rd.
First, I just wanna say thank you to everyone who submitted a pitch. We received A TON of wonderful pitches and we're so excited to see this anthology come to life!!

-On September 1st we sent out an acceptance email with instructions and our next step. We will keep in contact with both people in Discord and through email for those who aren't in the Discord.
-We'll update this forum accordingly. :)

Now, here is a big shout out to those who made it in the anthology!

Avart! Banes! bluecuts34! Bravo!
Danilion! Genejoke! Hushicho! IronHorseComics! Ironscarf! Jason Moon! Luna34! MirandaDrawss! PIT_FACE! Skyangel Cresc! Tantz_Aerine! and Yeonwoo!
I can't wait to see what everyone does!
We will keep in touch with you all through discord and email! So keep a look out! ;)

Avart
Avart
Posted at

Excellent! I'm very excited with this project and be part of this Anthology for the records.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

Let's see DD award presentations, anthology and keeping my own comic going as my buffer just ran out–

Just love a challenge. All a matter of priorities.

bluecuts34
bluecuts34
Posted at

Hi everyone!

Thanks to everyone who submitted a pitch - we had a smashing batch of comic submissions.

Now though, it's time for the second round of pitches - illustrations and covers!

The Rundown

The anthology will have illustrations inside as well as a cover. Illustrations we can loosely define, it just has to fit on the page and run to the horror theme, and it has to stand alone as well. If perhaps you were hesitant about committing a full comic but still want to be part of the community project, this is your chance! You can submit an illustration pitch if you have or haven't submitted a comic.

Why Pitch?

The logic behind a pitch for illustrations is so that we know our final indicative page count and be able to expect the kind of content we'll be getting, as well as have a cutoff if we get 300 illustration pitches or something. We've had significantly more comic pitches than we were expecting, which generally came with a claim on an illustration place. This is why we're moving to a pitch model for illustrations rather than guaranteeing everyone a place as before. However, we're really hoping we can accept the majority of them without blowing the page count out ridiculously!

Just like with comics, the editing team does reserve the right to decline to take up a pitch for any reason, and if we end up getting loads of them (especially if the comic pitches were any indication) we'll have to be selective there as well.

The Cover:

The cover is the front face of the anthology, so it's important that everyone gets input. In this vein, the cover will be decided via a vote from the community.

Cover submissions open today, and close on the 31st of October, at midnight.

Covers:

A cover fit for a Duck anthology Each person can submit one clear sketch to be voted on by the community, the timeframe being 1st to the 23rd of October The sketches will be voted on by the broader community via Google form, similar to the awards These votes will open late October, once all pitches are in - we'll have an announcement when it's time The top five will be selected to go ahead, and are due on the 1st of December These final covers will be voted on by the community - the winning covers will be selected as the final covers for the SFW and NSFW editions, but the other three will still be featured within the anthology! Clearly title your cover pitch as USERNAME [COVER], and you can submit the sketch as an image
As we'll have two editions of the anthology, one of the winners will be the cover for each. Double the chances!

Illustrations:

Again, on the horror theme - as literally or as loosely as you please. Each person (at this stage) has a slot of one illustration per person. This is to keep the balance between comics and illustrations fairly even as well as let everyone have an even opportunity to be in the anthology. We may open it up to more later on, but for now, keep it to one please. The pitch format is a sketch, emailed to drunkduckanthology@gmail.com. It should be detailed enough that we can see how the thing goes together, but it doesn't need to be a final. Feel free to send options if you're an iterative or indecisive type The pitch window is October 1st to 14th, and final illustrations are due on the 1st of December. The final format is 7"x10.5" ratio, 300dpi minimum, submitted as a .tiff image, same as the comics Any rating, from E-A is allowed Clearly title your illustration pitch as USERNAME [ILLO PITCH], and you can submit as an image

Submit your pitches to drunkduckanthology@gmail.com, just like the comics.

Posted at

Hey everyone! There has been a huge lack of communication and I think it's obvious why for many reasons. 2020 has been an absolute rollercoaster and for many not the best kind… annnnd obviously the later we get into the year the busier it gets. Halloween, Thanksgiving and then the beautiful Christmas day and possible other special days depending on your religion/beliefs. You get it.

Now an important notice: The deadline has been extended to February of 2021.

And yes we have definitely passed the check-points and we haven't exactly checked in with you for reasons stated above. At this point I would say manage your time accordingly for the anthology, (that's now due on the 1st of February.) Not everyone is going to finish sketching, inking or coloring at the same time and we don't expect you to.
Just keep in mind of the time and what not. AND PLEASE, if you do need to contact us and we haven't reached you through email within 2 business days just send me a quack on here if necessary. I do update my comic every Thursday so YES I am bound to see your message on here.

Now extra stuff:
We will be extending cover submissions to February as well. Just remember to follow the theme accordingly. And of course, keep track of the dates!

ALSO, if you do need to back out it's all good, just let us know, or if you're gonna be late on your submission, just shoot us a message, we'll talk to you about it. So on and so forth. We'll figure it out. :)

Have an awesome day and a beautiful Thanksgiving!

Avart
Avart
Posted at

Thanks! I was really worried about the times even though I have almost 60 - 70% of my story done.

This give me time to complete it and pimp some areas that I rushed a bit.

Happy Holidays to all! ;)

Banes
Banes
Posted at

I keep forgetting to tell anyone what a relief it was to hear that the deadline was extended. I was just thinking I wasn't going to make it, and was going to let the team know - the extension was most welcome, and as of now I'm on track to be done. Looking forward to it!

After that I may have to study up on discord and how to use it; all I get is a bunch of random text and links I can't join, and then odd people keep showing up at my house. So I'm doing something very wrong.

bravo1102
bravo1102
Posted at

With the extension I should be able to do some proper editing.

bluecuts34
bluecuts34
Posted at

Hi everyone - a quick update!

The anthology is going super well - we've got all but one of the stories submitted and damn, do they look fine. It's an incredible effort from everyone who was able to participate, and I'm so so proud of you all.

We've gotten the cover pitches in, and you can vote on those and the title HERE

What's left? Well, once the final story is in we'll send the whole thing to layout. We're working on putting together a storefront as well - watch this space! Once it's live, you can purchase the anthology at your leisure and support the Duck while you're at it.

Any questions feel free to PQ, email, DM, or send a smoke signal my way. I'm here to chat!

bluecuts34
bluecuts34
Posted at

Hey everyone! Another update - we've closed voting on the covers and titles are the results are below:

The cover choices
The results

The final title of the anthology will be THE DUCK: REANIMATED!!

I'll be drawing the final cover after a vote between the three cover submissions.

We're waiting on the final few bios from the participants so we can finish the author bio section of the book as well!

I sure do hope someone's reading these updates… if you see this give me a holler.

Avart
Avart
Posted at

Hey! I do read all the updates for sure ;) Thanks for all the hard work and love in this awesome project!

Banes
Banes
Posted at

Greatly looking forward to it! Thanks for all your work on this!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.