Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Dealing with friends on a creative project

Posted at

Okay, this is possibly a common thing but I have some friends I constantly show my comic pages, and they have been very helpful in things like suggestions, feedback and point out mistake I make, yet some times it feels like they are trying to take over or push their own characters into the story.

I recently decided to make a main character a transwoman, and I could tell one of my friends didn't like the idea because, and I am trying not to be mean here, it kind of got in the way of their own fantasy of my character and their's.

The other one keeps trying to put his characters into my story, constantly, and I politely decline or say "maybe" because that is a legal nightmare for the future.

It is some times hard trying to tell honest feedback from trying to turn you into a art robot.

I wonder if anyone else has this kind of problem?

lothar
lothar
Posted at

First!

I don't really have this problem cuz I don't share my ideas with other humans. Although it would be nice, I don't really have any friends in RL that I can show my stuff to.

Ironscarf
Ironscarf
Posted at

My 3D friends are not interested in and have no idea about comics so that issue would never arise. My online friends are mostly creators themselves, so they are busily drawing their own characters and don't need me to do it for them!

All I can say is, only make what you want to make and don't make what others want you to make, unless they stump up the cash for it. Next time this happens, just shout 'Show me the money!' as loud as you can.

Posted at

Encourage them to make their own comics and you could even set them in the same inter-connected continuity. It'll allow them to tell the stories that are in their head while still leaving your story more or less unaffected.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.