Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Earthship (A different kind of house.)

Posted at

Ethan and I have pretty much decided that we are planning on buying an Earthship. Have you guys seen these? They are self-sufficient housing made from recycled materials and can be built in any environment.

We are planning a vacation here soon, to actually stay in one, before we commit…Wonderin' what ya'll think, has anyone stayed in one?

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Woah! Are those just huge, or are they so cheap that anyone can afford a big house like that?

When you move (if you do) you'd better put up pictures. I don't know why… I just think that it'd be cool.

Posted at

Woah! Are those just huge, or are they so cheap that anyone can afford a big house like that?

When you move (if you do) you'd better put up pictures. I don't know why… I just think that it'd be cool.

They start at around 200K.

(The pics above are of "Communities" I think.)

You can have them delivered off the rack as a kit, they have some called, "modular" and "hybrids." Or you can customize it. The primary materials are old tires, sand, aluminium cans, and cement.

The average cost is often less than a woodframe house (so they claim.)

This is the "standard" hybrid.

lefarce
lefarce
Posted at

I saw one (and I could be confusing housing types) that was modified from an old underground missle silo. I still think it's the coolest living space in the world, and I would kill to have it.

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

Jesus, those look awesome. Now I want one. :(

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

That would be sooo cool to live in. So cool in fact, I'm so concentrated on its coolness, I can't think of anything witty to say.

D0m
D0m
Posted at

They harvest their own water..?

Christ.

Posted at

a while ago I actually went to that site snice I've always wanted my house but was looking for cheaper alteratives to getting the kind of house I want.

But I have to say, the way it was built in the flickr slideshow and how some of the rooms looked made me feel turned off by it.

I'm not a big fan of Beer cans and bottles in the wall, although the tires did create a intersting pattern.

although, there could be different types of styles where they could easily comfluage the fact that it's an "earthship".

but aesthetics aside, I have to wonder about the "harvesting your own water" bit. You see, in North Dakota there can be a lot of "dry spells" when it comes to rain during the non-winter months…. and I'd hate the fact that I'd have to depend on such a thing… I'd rather for it to be some kind of back up or being a part of it while still having water on tap.
the same thing for my energy and heat.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.