Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Whoa... Low blood sugar... a diabetic experience

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

I just had to jam a whole candy bar into my mouth. I've been put on stronger medication to treat my Type II Diabetes and I tell ya, I hate taking pills. So I took mine just like the doctor says. About an hour later I start feeling wierd. It was pretty hard to describe. I didn't take any chances so I literally opened up a Hershey's chocolate bar and shoved it in whole into my mouth. I then took the electronic meter and checked my glucose levels. Pretty close to 80 points. If it went under that amount, I'd be in big trouble.

Just some advice to all you teenagers out there… cut down on your sugar and starch intake (like soft drinks, french fries, etc…) or in another 10 years you might end up like I did (was 34 when I was diagnosed with the disorder; I'm 36 now). x_x

bryan
bryan
Posted at

So you developed it towards 34? Dang, that's rough… my great aunt got the same thing from just sweets and soda too… I swear, she cooks everything herself cept that she'll go through liters of soda and bags of candy by herself… I have no idea how that works.

I recently read some study that scientists have started pointing their collective fingers at high fructose corn syrup as a leading factor in the development of diabetes. Crazy :/

Cthulhu
Cthulhu
Posted at

Ewww…

You ate a candy bar???

Yuck.

marine
marine
Posted at

I've a friend who fills a large container with a bag or more of sugar. He then adds water and Kool-aid mixture. At which points the necter of the gods is created (depending upon the flavor) in a very manyly and unhygenic way. I've drank from said kool aid and it was a rather great experience.

In fact, I'd start making it that way myself if it wouldn't destroy my teeth. Its damn good. Its like raw sugar. You can't compete with that.

Posted at

I drink so much caffiene that I can tell when my caffiene levels are dipping, but I started dieting four or five months ago and I cut out almost all my refined sugars. Now if I have, like, a handful of skittles I can feel my heart race for like 15 mintutes and then drop off.

mlai
mlai
Posted at

I'm one of those ppl, vocally envied by all, who can (and do) eat anything and stay at athletic % body fat.

Of course, if I'm ever in a wilderness survival situation, I'd be dead within 3 days of no food. Pirana-like body metabolism. I know exactly how the Lonnehart feels, just by skipping breakfast. That's why I carry candy bars.

So when ppl say that a comics cliche is the character who does nothing but fight and eat… well in my case I'd just be writing what I know.

Posted at

What made you think you had diabetes…like some symptoms, or was it after and accident.

Lonnehart
Lonnehart
Posted at

What made you think you had diabetes…like some symptoms, or was it after and accident.

After getting my head and right hand bashed in with a pipe the doctors at the hospital checked EVERYTHING!!!. That's when they diagnosed it. >_<

joe_vee
joe_vee
Posted at

Aww I'm sorry to hear about you getting yourself bashed up and the whole diabetes thing. :( IT's good that you are educating and warning others because diabetes is turning into a big problem with folks nowadays. I'm trying to watch myself too since diabetes runs in my family.

Two months ago I completely cut out desserts and sweets from my diet and have replaced them with lots and LOTS of fruits. Now I am allowing myself one sweet treat per month.

I use to eat bags and bags of yummy bears and ice cream in one sitting. So bad XD…. but i know i'm not going to be young forever so i want to discipline myself before I graduate.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.