Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

American cars just aren't what they used to be.

Posted at

You have to be careful about judging a car company based off of one car you owned. Even the best car company can build a lemon. It's always good to look at consumer reports and talk to multiple people.

Are you trying to say that Honda is not super great awesome? Because I will pound you. T_T

sandy
sandy
Posted at

GMC= Garage Mechanic's companion
Ford= Found on road dead
Fiat= Fix it again Tony
Pontiac= Poor old negro thinks it's a Cadillac

There is one for every car make but those are few I remember.

I fully agree with you. But you left out ohh Christ my Christler broke down again. I owned a Plymouth grand voyager and that damn thing was a lemon. In fact the mechanic in my area told me it was mostly Christlers that ended up in his lot for repair work. And yah, lots of Fords too. Especially the "ACK" Ford Windstar minivan. The damn thing is known for major transmission problems. And as far as Honda is concerened, Skool's right, do NOT mess with Honda. They have the best reputation according to Consumer reports, to make top notch vehicles. Second only to Toyota's Prius. So yeah, that's one heck of a good record if you ask me. If it wasn't so expensive I would have invested in a Honda CRV myself.

lba
lba
Posted at

You have to be careful about judging a car company based off of one car you owned. Even the best car company can build a lemon. It's always good to look at consumer reports and talk to multiple people.

Are you trying to say that Honda is not super great awesome? Because I will pound you. T_T

He might not be, but I might. It's my personal experience, but I've yet to meet a honda vehicle I respect. My first job had 2 2003 Honda Ridgelines, a 04 Toyota Titan and 3 F-350's. Within a month of buying the Ridgelines we were replacing the transmission in one because it stripped a couple of gears while trying to pull a 5,000 pd trailer. The second wasn't long after. Another words, this truck couldn't handle the amount of weight a Ford Ranger is designed to haul. Maybe we got unlucky with two piece of junk trucks and Honda trucks are better than that, but my experience and my mechanic's have all said they just weren't good vehicles. Consumer report had them rated as some of the better trucks for their year too.

My first car was a 97 Dodge Stratus es. It was built around the same frame and working components as the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Dodge Avenger because at the time Mistubishi was in part owned by Chrysler. My little sedan was one of the faster, more reliable vehicles of it's size that I knew on the road. The only part of it that ever had a problem was the only part manufactured in Japan, namely the engine built by Mistubishi. At the time, Consumer report smashed that car as being easy to steal, and having only the redeeming quality of the power of it's engine. I've owned two other Stratus's since and they've been a couple of the most abused cars ever going off road and racing and just kept going without any problems. And these cars have been considered some of the worst built since 1998 when Daimler Mercedes bought out Chrysler. The quality control went to crap that year as Daimler started making serious changes in the structure of Chrysler.

I guess what I'm getting at, is that you probably shouldn't listen to your buddy down the street or Consumer Report as much as you listen to your mechanic. Most mechanics I know will steer you in the direction of something like a Ford Taurus, Chevy Malibu or a Honda Civic if you really do want an import just because they're cheap and last a long time. I wouldn't count the American makers out. They've produced plenty of solid vehicles in recent years and actually a good few that were far better than the imports. The import manufacturers make just as many crappy cars.

Back in the seventies, American cars were decent, so what happened? I suppose quantity far outweighs quality these days.
I'd say that's pretty much the opposite of what's the case. American cars during the 70's and 80's were pretty bad. What we remember as decent from those days are the classics and the muscle cars, not the every day vehicles.

Hawk
Hawk
Posted at

What?! Who was talking about Honda?

I was talking about people who have one problem with one car and then think it's a problem with the entire brand… like my friend who thought all Fords were bad because his dad's Ford truck had an electrical problem.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.