Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Inkmonkey
Inkmonkey
Posted at

I had a lot of illogical fears as a kid, but the most comically pathetic one I can remember is when I was afraid of toilets because of that scene in Look Who's Talking 2 where the toilet tells the kid it's going to eat him.

Also, I was convinced that there were little monsters that would attack me in my sleep (specifically, an army of half-melted "Stripe"s from the end of the original Gremlins), unless I was completely covered by my blanket (head and all. I started building little pillow forts for maximum protection while not suffocating myself). I faced many a dilemma on nights where my feet would start to get hot, and I would debate for what seemed like hours as to whether or not I should pull the blanket off them and risk melty-gremlin assaults, or simply wait to adjust to the heat.

I usually just adjusted to the heat.

Freegurt
Freegurt
Posted at

interestingly enough….. one of my childhood fears inspired this habit I still have to this day.

every time I turn off the light at night, I tend to run towards the bed and then leap into it before my feet get too close to the sides of the bed or something.

this was due to that classic "spooky dark place under the bed" that seems to disturb all kids at one point.

I was creeped out at the thought that anything could be under there that I couldn't see at all at night, etc. so I'd think that something from under there would crawl out to touch my feet and stuff if I just simply walked to my bed and climbed into there the normal way.

hence, the mad dash/jump towards my bed soon as I turn off the lights. I don't believe in that sort of thing anymore, of course… but I still do that anyway because I've gotten so used to doing it.

I kind of do that still. But I usually have my TV or my desk lamp on, so it varies between shuffling along the floor to making a mad dash.

Which brings me to my own childhood fear that turned itself into a habit of mine. As a kid, I was afraid of toilet demons. They'd only come out when I flushed the toilet, so I'd always wash my hands first, then I'd flush after which I'd run out of the bathroom as fast as I can and out of the sights of the doorway.
So now I wash my hands before flushing the toilet, I just don't make a terror-fueled sprint when I'm done.

Funny thing is though, I made up the toilet demons and at some point, I convinced myself that they were real. Which is probably why I was wary of the stair well as a child since me and my siblings played a game called 'Sandmonster'.

My imagination was a little overactive as a child.

SarahN
SarahN
Posted at

That doll from child's play. I saw the movie when I was way too young…

Oh jeez, I forgot about Chucky, I was really scared of him too. It made me afraid of all toys I had in my room. =/

Posted at

oh god, I feel embarrassed saying this, but when I saw the Pinocchio movie (it was live-action i think) I always thought the giant fish at the end would come outta the toilet and bite my willy off. I was always cautious when I pissed in those days. But that was only for like a month.

in fact, I googled it, and I don't think Pinocchio is what I am thinking of. Just some movie with a giant ugly fish at the end, and it's probably that movie.

Ryan_Scott
Ryan_Scott
Posted at

Truth be told… I think my greatest childhood fear was of bitingf into what I thought was a marmite and cheese sandwich… only tyo discover it was really vegemite

Posted at

Truth be told… I think my greatest childhood fear was of bitingf into what I thought was a marmite and cheese sandwich… only tyo discover it was really vegemite

Not VEGEMITE?! You poor child!

HyenaHell
HyenaHell
Posted at

Big waves.

But if you get caught it's like a washing machine. You get pushed to the bottom into the sand and rocks and twisted about with no air to breathe.
But… that's the fun part! It's not a good day at the beach unless you're all lacerated and bloody when you get out the ocean!

Only scary part to me is the rip tide, but I've always been a fairly strong swimmer, so usually I can stay calm. It's just that looooong diagonal swim back to shore, all the while thinking, "COuld've frickin' died; might still die; there's totally not a lifeguard in site. I'm an idiot. I'm gonna have to walk like, a mile down the damn beach to get back to my cigarettes, towel, and beer. Crap." lol!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.