Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Dial up: AOL? PeoplePC? Other?

Posted at

Hi All,
I need to go to dial-up for a few months at minimum. Not sure how long. Cost is an issue. With gas so high, I had to cut back and DSL was one of the things I dropped. I need it for email and web surfing. I don't download movies or music, just image based surfing like DD.

I was thinking of going with AOL basic dial-up, that way I can access all the internal AOL junk in addition to the internet through Firefox.
There is also PeoplePC and Earthlink. If I don't go AOL, I'll probably go PeoplePC.

AOL Basic Dial-Up $9.99 per month*

Earthlink
Premium Dial-up 56Kbps $9.95/mo.
(First 3 months; $21.95/Mo. thereafter)

PeoplePC
$5.47/month for 3 months, then only $10.95/month

What do you use? What do you recommend or hate with a passion?

Posted at

Thanks for the recommendation but It looks like the free limit is 10 hours a month. I know me and my partner will go through that.
After that, it's the standard 10ish a month.

dueeast
dueeast
Posted at

*shudders at the horror that is AOL!*

I don't recommend Earthlink to anyone (almost as bad as AOL).

Some people like People PC, so that's not a bad deal…if you're only on for 3 months.

Posted at

I remember AOL being clunky. Is it still bad? Does anyone still use the inside AOL forums?

Dwayne rip
Dwayne rip
Posted at

yes people pc is better we used to have it till we got comcast(dont know if thats going to last) We had aol once it was crap my cusin has it i still dont like it.
But its your decision obviously but i'd go with peoplepc

Posted at

If you go with AOL be prepared to go through hell to get the account cancelled. Those guys seriously don't take no for an answer. They'll even keep billing you after you think you've cancelled your account.

I'm surprised you can't find broadband for $10 a month though, nowadays.

Locoma
Locoma
Posted at

hmm, talking about dial up, do you use firefox or IE? because when I had dialup firefox was like a gift from god to me. It blocks* flash videos and other really heavy stuff that would definitely slow down your browsing

*:it replaces it with a play button, so you can see them if you want to

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Oh god fucking aol. 0_0
It was awful for me to cancel my account, it took months!
I have netzero now, It's pretty nice- if you use it with firefox it's great with loading everything but pictures and videos.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.