Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

This is the thread for talks and concerns regarding the game Mafia. This is so that the current game can continue without it being hijacked. (Because really it's not fair for Niccea to spend all this time hosting and making up a game only for it to be hijacked.)

Niccea:

I thought there was no better place to put in the rules.

The Previously Unwritten Rules of the Mafia Game
(Now Written)

GM Rules

Becoming A GM

* A GM must be elected by the majority with the previous GM running the elections.
* A GM cannot GM twice in a row.
* It is required that a player actively play at least two games before he/she can run for GM
* For entry to be valid, the GM candidate must include their rules/roles for the game and a sample narrative with clue breakdown.
* The GM candidate must set up a rough schedule for their game during election, and try to stick to it. Please announce this in accordance with GMT (a good base time to go off) and CST (DD's clock). (Please double check to make sure you are saying the right time if neither of these are your time zone.)
* GM candidates do not vote for themselves. This is to be automatically assumed unless otherwise notified.

Running a game

* The GM must maintain an accurate count of who is dead/alive and the number of roles left.
* Clues for the game must be gender neutral or masculine due to the fact that there is a very small female population for the game.
* GMs may accept requests for narrations, but they cannot be harmful to other players.
* The GM must have a rule about inactivity. Inactive players cause the game to drag on.
* The usual for clues to point to is anything on the profile page, the first 5 pages of comics, usernames, avatars, or signatures. Sometimes clues are based on what is said during the game, but usually only used as a last resort. It would be helpful for the GM to notify the players where clues come from, though not required.

Player Rules

Rules to Roles

* The Pardoner cannot pardon himself.
* Paramedics cannot protect each other, themselves, or the bodyguards.
* The Detective can only see the alignment of someone he investigates (Pro-Town or Anti-Town) though the godfather is immune to this.
* The Detective can investigate the Mayor or the Pardoner. (not both)
* The godfather's horsehead ability cannot cancel out reflexive roles (such as paranoid killing or veteran's second night life) or the abilities that come with being mayor (declaring double lynch and getting two votes in a lynch)
* (Unresolved issue) Different things have happened when the mad bomber/godfather go after the paranoid. In some versions the paranoid reacts, but in some they do not. I believe that there should either be a standard, or the GM be specific about what could happen if a bomb/horsehead was planted on the paranoid.

Disambiguation of Deadtalking

* Deadtalking - intentionally or accidently sharing viable information once dead (through PQ or on the thread) (NOT ALLOWED) Player will be warned at the first occurrence of deadtalking. Excessive dead talking can result in being banned from the game.
* From the Beyond Talking - Posting on the thread after death, but not about viable information. Usually just picking up on whatever conversation is going on in the game or "AVENGE ME." (Allowed)
* Tombstone Talking - When you send a dead player a "sorry I killed you" PQ. This is only not allowed if you were the one killed by the unknowing paranoid. (Allowed within reason)

Betrayal Disambiguation

(This is taken care of on a case by case basis by the GM since the only thing in this list that is expressly not allowed is team killing)

* Teamkilling – Since the mafia knows exactly who everyone is. There shouldn’t be any reason for a team kill. As a team they must work together. (No matter how stilted the numbers are or how much they want to make the game “more interesting”) (Only the Godfather is allowed to teamkill but it is the GM must allow for it within the role rules.)
* Betrayal – Giving up roles and names to mayor. In this case, the mayor may know all the mafia members, but the mafia cannot kill their own players. It takes longer than if there was teamkilling.
* Loose Tongue – When the mafia is low in numbers, they do sometimes try to recruit a townie to help them. But townies sometimes use this knowledge to eradicate the mafia.
* Social Loafing – Mafia member just doesn’t do anything. They aren’t helping either side.

(This is not complete, just a first draft)
While some of these rules are good and solid rules that we should take heed to, others are only good guidelines. They shouldn't be 100% enforced but more left up to the discression of the current GM. If he happen to aggree with everything that's written here, then more power to him. However, he's free to make up his own spin of rules but it's prefered that he lets his players know about any rule changes.

Vakanai
Vakanai
Posted at

Oh, I also move to make a new rule: Anyone who signs up for a game but doesn't participate is barred from playing the next game.
Hence, for game four moogles and peipei will not be allowed, but they can join game five.
If you sign up and fail to participate a third time, you should be banned from all mafia games for a year.
Thus we will cut back on dead weight.
It should probably be put to a vote, but that's my idea on the subject.
Edit: 'Third time' is not a mistake. I believe in the three strikes you're out rule.

Yay cut and paste!

Dukat
Dukat
Posted at

I sort of like that idea Vak, but only the current game mod would know when someone is killed for inactivity. And it can be unfair to people, things happen in life that can prevent you from being able to sign on for extended periods of time. The mafia games here can go pretty quickly, so even a week or so can be hard. I think an addendum could be made to the proposal that under extenuating circumstances an inactive player would be allowed to return.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Yeah. I just made the ejection of inactivity rule mainly because it held up progress in the first game. If people told me what is up on time, I kept them in. Peipei was another matter. They were sending in hits from the very first minute of the game and clearly couldn't be bothered to look at the game.

Should I move my list of GM interested people over here?

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Should I move my list of GM interested people over here?
It already is. It's in my signature.
<^o^> So that is what you meant. Groovy.

Vakanai
Vakanai
Posted at

I sort of like that idea Vak, but only the current game mod would know when someone is killed for inactivity.
She kind of made it public. Plus I figured we would pass the information on to the next game mod and so on.

And it can be unfair to people, things happen in life that can prevent you from being able to sign on for extended periods of time.

Hence the three strikes rule. If you are so busy that you can't play in three games you sign up for, you shouldn't sign up for them.
As for missing just one game and wanting to play the next game, we can make exceptions if given a just reason to. But the privilege should not be abused. You get one exception.

The mafia games here can go pretty quickly, so even a week or so can be hard. I think an addendum could be made to the proposal that under extenuating circumstances an inactive player would be allowed to return.
You read my mind.

Dukat
Dukat
Posted at

She kind of made it public. Plus I figured we would pass the information on to the next game mod and so on.

Hence the three strikes rule. If you are so busy that you can't play in three games you sign up for, you shouldn't sign up for them.
As for missing just one game and wanting to play the next game, we can make exceptions if given a just reason to. But the privilege should not be abused. You get one exception.

You read my mind.

*Quote trees start to annoy me*

Certainly if the mod is willing to make "death by inactivity" public then no problem. And obviously if someone doesn't play in multiple games they should really ask themselves, why do they keep signing up. I don't draw a comic myself, but I do understand that it can be a lot of work to keep a comic updated, but if that's too much for you to keep up with plus play in the game, don't play.

And I am psychotic…dangit did it again; … Psychic.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

I notice my name's not on that list anywhere.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

I notice my name's not on that list anywhere.
YOu never claimed Dibs.

http://www.drunkduck.com/community/view_topic.php?cid=243&tid=47109&p=2

And I see it on there now. In last place. But whatever; nine is a cooler number than five anyways.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I guess that makes you one a head of Ody then. Since all the others called their dibs before then. (Even Martinlo. He originally tried to get game 2.)

Also, I had a theme idea, but I just never acted on it. I posted it before. Reverse Mafia.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Reverse Mafia.

Is that like, mafia trying to root out detectives/snitches? Interesting…

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Reverse Mafia.

Is that like, mafia trying to root out detectives/snitches? Interesting…
Yeah.
I made a role post for it in the original game…might be able to find it with time. Which I don't have today.

Skullbie
Skullbie
Posted at

Reverse mafia sounds pretty cool

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Found It!

Instead of a town with a few mafia members. You are a mafia with some double agents (or rats) in it. The mafia tries to flush out the rats and and the double agents try to drag the mafia apart from the inside.

Role changes: What they do doesn't change much, but the names do.

Mayor = Godfather
Pardoner = Second in Command
Bodyguards
Vigilante = Don't know what to call 'im yet
Paramedics = Dunno.
Veteran = Made Men
Paranoid = could be the same or he could be that one guy hyped up on drugs.
Detective = Guess you could call him a rat too of a different variety

Godfather = Agent Leader
Mad Hatter = Demolitions man
Mafias = Agents

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

Ooh, the godfather should have an ability called "the kiss of death" where he yells "I KNOW IT WAS YOU!!" before he shoots you as an alternate to a double lynch. Sorry, it's lunch time and my mind is wandering.

Posted at

I just want the new game to start, being the first one out sucks.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

I just want the new game to start, being the first one out sucks.
I think you are next in line to run unless you want to switch with Vak. I don't think LoS will be running a game.

Niccea
Niccea
Posted at

Sorry for doubling, but since I am on a new subject, I'm making a new post.

After running this game and talking to Dukat, I've come to the conclusion that townie conversion is too much of a hassle to deal with. I would recommend against using it again.

Hakoshen
Hakoshen
Posted at

I think mine would be ninjas vs pirates after all.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.