Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Also, it bothers me that Canada considers itself so multicultural and diverse, and yet we mention God in our national anthem.
The tune isn't very nice either.

The mention of God could be argued as a historical reference as can the part about the "native land" (Native American.) Keep in mind this was a song written in 1880. (Edit: Not that I'm an expert on Canadian history but I don't think the multicultural angle was well used in the 1880 if at all.)

I kind of like the national anthem personally. There's something nice in the simplicity of it and I particularly like the line "the true, north, strong, and free."

No, our national anthem has been changed since then. The original version was in French…that version, as I said, is far more meaningful. The English version is NOT a translation of the original song, and the words have been changed a couple times since the first English version was written…the last time being in 1980. That was when the line about God was added.

I really don't know why we don't just use a translated version of the French one. Maybe the syllables don't all fit properly or something.

Actually, now that I'm looking this stuff up, apparently there were several other stanzas originally written for the English version that aren't actually included in our official anthem. They're a lot more related to Canada, though they have religious references as well(understandable, as they were written around 1910).

This is one of those verses:
O Canada! Where pines and maples grow.
Great prairies spread and lordly rivers flow.
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western sea.
Thou land of hope for all who toil!
Thou True North, strong and free!

See, I think we should use something like that.

Posted at

They're a lot more related to Canada, though they have religious references as well(understandable, as they were written around 1910).

This is one of those verses:
O Canada! Where pines and maples grow.
Great prairies spread and lordly rivers flow.
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western sea.
Thou land of hope for all who toil!
Thou True North, strong and free!

See, I think we should use something like that.
Sounds too much like one of America's songs, the "Oh beautiful, for spacious skies" one (which is a much better song than the national anthem). They probably didn't want to look like they were copying. :]

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

What a nice national anthem. We actually officially have two, and one of them is pretty violent. The other one's much less so, but still. Not as nice and friendly as this one.

Besides that I don't really have much to add. It seems a bit odd to me to be celebrating something like that, but maybe that's because I live in a place that never really got a "fixed point of origin" or whatever it is. I honestly don't really know the details of this thing.

Do, uhm, belated yaye?

seventy2
seventy2
Posted at

Sounds too much like one of America's songs, the "Oh beautiful, for spacious skies" one (which is a much better song than the national anthem). They probably didn't want to look like they were copying. :]

actually, when i was younger, i always did think that america, the beautiful was the national anthem…it's much better than the star spangled banner. we should have a song about our country not our flag.

Dan
Dan
Posted at

Canada Day was yesterday? No wonder people were shooting off fireworks last night.

You know, I lived in Canada for 5 years before moving down to US, and in Canadian schools we had to sing the Canadian national anthem every single day. It wasn't particularily annoying, but couple of my friends decided to have a bit of fun with it, singing it in different accents, beats, and stuff.

But damn, I miss New York Fries back there. Best fries I've ever had if you ask me. Bit ironic that it was founded in Canada.

Posted at

why did they give canada a whole day? i mean, sure, maybe a half-day but it's really not worth a whole day.

also, the beer sucks.

HippieVan
HippieVan
Posted at

Canada Day was yesterday? No wonder people were shooting off fireworks last night.

You know, I lived in Canada for 5 years before moving down to US, and in Canadian schools we had to sing the Canadian national anthem every single day. It wasn't particularily annoying, but couple of my friends decided to have a bit of fun with it, singing it in different accents, beats, and stuff.

But damn, I miss New York Fries back there. Best fries I've ever had if you ask me. Bit ironic that it was founded in Canada.

We stopped having to sing it after elementary school. Now we just have to stand while they play it every morning. I remember I used to refuse to sing the line about god. Apparently I've always been just as contrary as I am now, haha.

Posted at

I'd like to wish a late happy Bday to our wierd little brother to the North.

Dan
Dan
Posted at

We stopped having to sing it after elementary school. Now we just have to stand while they play it every morning. I remember I used to refuse to sing the line about god. Apparently I've always been just as contrary as I am now, haha.
That's good news. I thought I'd be spending the rest of my life telling my grandchildren how I had to apply my horrible vocal skills every single day throughout the entire school years.

Posted at

Ah crap I wasn't here to post on the actual day.

I hate living within a block of the air base. Bloody jets flying overhead all day and night. I mean, I love my country, but I also like to sleep once in a while.

why did they give canada a whole day? i mean, sure, maybe a half-day but it's really not worth a whole day.

also, the beer sucks.
Hey, they gave The United States a day. If a country like the US gets one then we certainly deserve one. Might aswell also celebrate our severance with the Brits and the fact that this is just an awesome country.

I really don't get the difference between Canadian and so-called 'other' beer. It all tastes like what I put into a toilet every morning.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.