Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

Rest in Peace: Arthur C. Clarke

imshard
imshard
Posted at

Sir Arthur Charles Clarke, CBE (16 December 1917 – 19 March 2008[2]) was a British science fiction author, inventor, and futurist. He is still one of one of my personal heroes and favorite authors. He wrote the novel and later collaborated on the movie for 2001: A space odyssey series.He is also well known for his three laws:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

He will be missed. For more information on his life and works here is a link to his wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

Will
Will
Posted at

Well, i've never heard of this fellow, I'm one of the uncultured swine who never read 2001, but I'll definitely try to find some of his works at a library. It's always sad to see such a source of inspiration pass away.

May he rest in peace.

Ozoneocean
Ozoneocean
Posted at

His writing was a bit old fashioned, as you'd expect, and he was a little teeny bit over rated and quite aware of his own "importance", BUT he WAS a good writer and quite a visionary. :)

Fenn
Fenn
Posted at

Damn… it hasn't been a good month for geeks.

lastcall
lastcall
Posted at

On the contrary; at least we're getting some recognition now. :kitty:

Posted at

You haven't read 3001, have you?

DAJB
DAJB
Posted at

2001 was quite poorly written but - once you have read it - the film makes a lot more sense!

Whatever the merits or otherwise of his writing, he was a clever guy who really understood the science behind his SciFi and did a lot to popularise the genre. Sorry to see him go.
:(

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

Childhood's End was another good book by him. Evangelion stole a lot from that book.

Posted at

2001 was quite poorly written but - once you have read it - the film makes a lot more sense!

Whatever the merits or otherwise of his writing, he was a clever guy who really understood the science behind his SciFi and did a lot to popularise the genre. Sorry to see him go.
:(

No. I mean 3001. 2001 was awesome and makes the film look even more terrible in comparison. The film made the bleak vastness of space just a bit too literal, while 2010's film took things a bit too lightly a glossed over a bit too much of the book. However 2010 had Roy Scheider in it, wo that makes up for it.

Posted at

I had heard about this. It's a tragedy when a classic sci-fi author, one of the last of the old breed of science fiction, passes away. He had a way of writing that made him instantly accessible, which makes his work much more refreshing nowadays, when science fiction seems to be all about confusing the reader with a lack of plot.

He will be missed. At least he finished one last book before he went, and it'll be published later this year.

Posted at

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

:)

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.