Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Posted at

I think I read in the rules somewhere that you had to get to San Diego on your own dime.

Yup. :S

Hello!
Yes, if you are a semi finalist it is required that you come to San
Diego to pitch your idea in front of our panel of celebrity judges. We
cannot pay any travel expenses. Sorry, I hope this does not discourage
you from entering though….

Carly M. Wagner
Senior Editor, New Media Division
Platinum Studios, LLC
9744 Wilshire Blvd., Ste 210
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
(310) 276-3900

But I may enter…if I can actually do one in time. If I really do have to go to San Diego (which I doubt but if I do) then I'll cross that bridge when the time comes.

Honestly, even if I couldn't afford the trip I would enter anyway.

I can't, because I'm outside the US, which sucks. Otherwise, i would consider

Actually, you can. They accept international entries.

.: Black Kitty :.

Posted at

But there is still that "Have to get to San Diego" part.

Yeah. I think that's the real hurdle for a lot of people, not just international entries. If you win and you live all the way on the other side of the United States, would you be able to go?

For me the outcome of not entering and the outcome of being a finalist but not being able to go is pretty much the same. The only difference is that the latter comes with the knowledge that I competed and came out near the top. Which is its own reward I suppose. So if I can actually gather up an entry, I'll enter.

As a side note, I sent them an e-mail asking them about their submission form. In their pulldown menu of State/Province, it doesn't have any Canadian provinces (or other countries for that matter) even though it's a required field. So I'm hoping to get a reply on that.

Aussie_kid
Aussie_kid
Posted at

But there is still that "Have to get to San Diego" part.
That was my main problem. Actually, it's my only problem

Posted at

yeah. I can't really go anywhere…
I have no car, I don't have enough cash for plane tickets and a place to sleep at an hotel.

Ian Jay
Ian Jay
Posted at

Crap.

I am going to San Diego for the convention this summer. Now I feel like… if I don't enter, I'll be wasting an opportunity or something…

~IJ

Geejay
Geejay
Posted at

I was slightly considering joining the contest but since I live in Australia and I'm not rolling in money, flying all the way to San Diego just to pitch is beyond me. Well, actually, I can probably dip into my savings to go there but I probably won't. The other problem I have is that I'm not a native English speaker. Although I could articulate my thoughts quite well on paper (or online), I sometimes have trouble verbalising my thoughts specially in high pressure situations. So that's probably another hurdle for people not fluent in English.

Ah well. I still think it's a good contest to join, specially if you live in the US. So, good luck to all of you who are joining. :)

Cindermain
Cindermain
Posted at

I was about to enter…honestly. But then I realized that I didn't have a lot of cash. In fact, I have NO cash for this.

A trip to California, a hotel room, and the gas to get there…expen$ive at this point in my career. Maybe next year, when I can actually afford to participate if I scrape and scrounge for that year.

Ian Jay
Ian Jay
Posted at

Man, you guys make goin' to San Diego sound like a big deal or something.

And now, I suppose, I have to enter something. Though it would be great to have TEO as a TV series, I think I should wait until I'm done with the entire story arc before I streamline it for the idiot box.

I'll just submit my little side project… codenamed "Epiphany".

~IJ

ccs1989
ccs1989
Posted at

I'm still untrustful of all of this. Asking a bunch of comic artists to create ideas for a TV show? What?

Posted at

well, the deadline is tomorrow. if anybody entered and won, let us know how it turned out.

Ian Jay
Ian Jay
Posted at

Well, I did it. I submitted an entry to the Challenge. And I just made it under the deadline, too.

I already know I won't win with my entry (too non-mainstream), but it would be nice to make it to the semi-finals and pitch the thing in front of live people. I'll keep you guys posted if anything else develops.

~IJ

Cindermain
Cindermain
Posted at

Best of luck to ya!

And on that subject…does anyone want to share their ideas? Or at least show off their artwork that they did-or-were-going-to submit?

Posted at

I ended up redoing one of my comics from a jam I was in and didn't have the time to finish the other entry I wanted to enter.

I wasn't sure if my submission actually went through however. It kept taking me back to the submission page after I sent in my file and synopsis. I don't think I would win though but I do hope I wasn't late and the submission went through.

Now to collapse from exhaustion. O.o

alejkhan
alejkhan
Posted at

A friend of mine and I entered as well. I decided to draw a random page from the theoretical comic.

Much good luck to anybody who entered!

herio
herio
Posted at

i sprained my arm drawing doing that :x then i found out its only in the us

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.