Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Ally Haert
Ally Haert
Posted at

If by daring you mean wildly embarrassing, then yes, I do have a story coming to mind!

There was a short, black fellow named James (or Jason…I'm not actually remembering it now) that was in the same group of friends as me in high school, though I never knew him well. James (Jason, Jacob…) was extremely homophobic, and very theatrical with his fear. The guys in our group would pinch his butt and blow him kisses, just for the crazy reactions. It never really got old.

When we graduated he went into the navy, which made my best friend Brian very sad (they were close). Me and Brian and our friend Michelle were hanging out one evening when Brian announced that James was back in town for a short while and wouldn't it be such a great idea to go surprise him?

It was already dark outside, but thankfully his house was only a few blocks from the bus stop. We rounded a corner and saw a minivan parked at the curb near his house, with James climbing into the side of it.

Without consulting us, Brian runs ahead, sneaks up to James and pinches his butt whilst saying (in his deepest man-voice), "Hey there, cutie."

Only this kid turns around and he's not James. He's looks ten years old maybe? His family was in the car. Brian blushed about twenty shades of mortified and we all ran away screaming that we weren't pedophiles. The kids grandpa jumped out of the car and chased us around the corner.

I really thought one of us was going to jail over that one…

Ally Haert
Ally Haert
Posted at

Okay, my husband read through this thread and asked "Why don't you share that one you pulled on me?", so here it is:

My husband's father lived out of state at the time, but he was planning on flying in for our wedding. I thought, "What a great opportunity to show my fiancee just what he's getting into!"

So I steal my (soon to be) father-in-law's phone number and give him a ring. He was excited about my idea. The plan was officially in motion. The week before the wedding, my parents call my fiancee and say that they want to have a sit down dinner with us. My fiancee agrees and takes the night off of work. My parents tell him to "dress nice".

A little while later, my father-in-law gives my fiancee a call with some bad news. He's been in a car accident on the way to the airport and he's totalled his car. Yes, yes, everyone is fine. But now he has no way of getting to the airport on time and doesn't know if he'll even make it out for our wedding.

My husband was a wreck. Stressed about his dad, he called me. I feigned concern, but it was kind of hard because I was picking up his dad from the airport at that exact moment.

Later that night we are getting dressed for our fancy dinner and my fiancee is a mess. "What do your parents want to talk about?". "Are they mad at me?". "Is something going to happen?". I sure got my jollies off of seeing him so scatterbrained.

That night rolls around and we show up for dinner and my fiancee was so stressed about the conversation with my parents that he doesn't even notice our table is set for six, not four people.

Did I forget to mention the restaurant staff were in on it too? It was a high end establishment that we'd had to make a reservation at, but more importantly - the waiting staff wore suits.

We get our menus, and here comes my father-in-law dressed up as our waitor. Only my husband is so stressed out that he doesn't even notice the fact that the entire restaurant is watching him or the fact that the waitor is his dad.

My father-in-law takes it in stride and actually takes our orders. I'm containing so much laughter that I'm actually crying at this point. When our appetizers came out, my father-in-law sits down at the table with them and starts eating without a "by your leave".

My husband stared and there was this long pause where everyone got silent again. My husband started crying and laughing and swore up and down that he'd get revenge on all of us*.

True story.

*(For "revenge", my husband decided to go streaking at our wedding a week later. Thankfully, he didn't have the forethought to film his prank.)

ayesinback
ayesinback
Posted at

@Ally: I Love it!

I'm still saving the story I like most, but I can tell you the first time I "took it upon myself"

I was 6, and even though a fellow kindergartener relieved me of the fantasy known as Santa Claus a year before, I, for whatever reason, clung on to the tooth fairy.

My parents told me the whole deal about the tooth fairy: when your tooth comes out, put it under your pillow and the tooth fairy comes and exchanges it for a nice new quarter (don't know what the exchange rates are today).

So this is between me and the fairy, right? I do my part, and wake up expecting my quarter, and there's the stupid tooth. This happened for a couple of nights and I got fed up. So I wrote my first complaint letter, stuck it under the pillow with the tooth, and then griped about the whole ordeal to my Mom at breakfast.

Well, apparently those complaint letters work. The next morning, there was my quarter.

My parents claim they still have my complaint letter.

Posted at

@Ayesinback

Ahahha! You sent a complaint letter? That's bloody brilliant! I demand you upload a photo of this original letter so that the world may bask in its hilarity.

rokulily
rokulily
Posted at

ah the tooth fairy… i have a story about that… but later! now is for the icecream truck holdup.

this is back when i was still in fourth grade nearing summer. it had been warm for a full month and summer was soon upon us so came the yearly migration of the icecream truck. with the tinny sounds of unliseanced tunes you could hear it coming from blocks away, the sound drifting in the warm air. my little brother and i heard such sounds and remarked on our good fortune. when the truck came into view we hailed it to the side of the road- i had already gotten my money to pay for our delicious cold icecreamy treats, i even offered to pay for my brothers, so we were set. or so i thought.

it was then i realized the great flaw. the mother. the mother liked knowing things, and as such you'd have to ask the mother for her okay. she wasn't an unreasonible person and she liked to make us happy but she had rules. and you'd best follow them. i told my brother to quickly go inside and ask the mother for the okay. i was certain that this wouldn't be a problem as we weren't terribly close to dinner time and it'd just be one icecream treat per child (because i wasn't made of money gosh darn it) and so it began.

after the first 5 minutes the icecream truckman began to get antsy. he expressed his concern about my brothers disappearance and i reassured him that my brother was horrible at finding things and probably was in the house just yelling 'mom' instead of actively looking. another 5 minutes later he claimed to be needing to get going. i didn't believe him and shot him a look of pure 'the hell you are'. such a look coming from a 9 year old was daunting and unnerving so he waited an extra five minutes before attempting to move from the back of the truck to the front but i was faster and far more stubborn. i stood right in front of his truck leaning on his hood. the only direction left to go was back- into a busy intersection. i had him completely cornered and he knew it.

i wanted my icecream but wasn't prepared to get in trouble with my mother over this so after an addintional 15 minutes i finally decided to go inside and ask her myself. i knew this meant that the icecream truck might leave but at this point i needed to know. i rushed inside searched high and low and found her in the basement with my brother who was playing videogames.

"well can we?!" i asked franticlly.

"what?" she responsed in confusion. her confusion seemed reasonible, i need to carify.

"can we get icecream?!"

"oh, no. it's getting to close to dinner." it was here that i realized that this was never mentioned. she hadn't known…

"could we have had icecream, say, 30 minutes ago?" i asked narrowing my eyes

"yes?" she was confused by my responses to her question- i was clearly getting upset over something that normally just be a quick sigh and frown.

"BROTHER"

my brother paused his game in response, unsure why i just called him in such tones.

"what's going on?" my mom asked, she didn't appreciate me yelling at my disabled brother just because i wasn't getting icecream.

"I SENT HIM IN HERE TO ASK YOU ABOUT THE ICECREAM. I JUST HELD UP AN ICECREAM TRUCK FOR, LIKE, 30 MINUTES FOR NO GOOD REASON!"

at this my brother looked sheepishly around, in the 'oh right, i was suppose to do that' fashion, my mother sighed and said well, nothing to be done (though she was rather amused by all this), and i demanded he stop playing videogames and get ready for dinner because if there was no icecream there will be no games.

when i went to check the icecream truck to apologize for the hold up he had, of course, speed off already. not a single icecream truck drove past my house (either side, i was on a busy corner so this was actually a feat) for over 5 years after that. who knows what lengends of the feirce 9 year old on c.street have come to be in the icecream truck world in my corner of new jersey

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

not a single icecream truck drove past my house (either side, i was on a busy corner so this was actually a feat) for over 5 years after that.

I don't know how you survived…

And wow, just wanted to say that this topic was a fun read. Wish I could contribute, but nothing significant jumps out at me in terms of something daring. However, eventually I'll be working up the courage to talk to this girl at my local coffee shop, so you never know…

Posted at

oh come on! Everyone has a story to tell!

And GO, ask her out! NOW, I COMMAND IT!

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

I got a couple stories, I guess. But I only remember one. You can decide whether it's daring or "ballsy" or whatever.

I was playing a poker tournament with a big group of friends once (like 20 of us). You have to understand, poker was never really my thing. I know how to play it, it's fun on occasion, but past that I really don't care too much about it.

So we had been playing now for about an hour or so, and it turns out that out of the 20, only three were left; myself included. The game was Texas Hold 'Em. I was dealt a flush. After realizing the cards I held, I smiled, and had a dirty idea. The typical poker strategy is to be blank faced, showing no emotion whatsoever. This is so your opponents can't read you, and thus can't imagine which cards you have.

My idea was to do the exact opposite.

I had the first bet, and I checked, remarking that I have nothing so there's no point in betting. My friend then bet $1000 (in chips, obviously). My other friend raised it to $2000, and the other called. Everyone looked at me, waiting for me to make my move. I groaned. "Ugh," I said, "@#$% this game." I put my hand face down on the table, and said "I don't even care anymore, I'm all in." The friend that originally bet $1000 tried to stop me. "C'mon bro," he said, "you've been playing for THIS long, 'might as well at least try to @#$%ing win."

I shook my head, "Nah man, I don't have sh*t anyways. Seriously, I'm all in. I don't even feel like playing anymore." They shrugged it off, and the game went on. The river was was dealt, and the other two had ended up going all in anyways; so this was the final game. It was time to show up hands. My friend shows he has 2 pairs with Ace high. My other friend had a straight. They both look at me and ask me to show up. I groaned and shook my head. "Man, I hate playing with you guys," I said. Then as I flipped my hand over, I finished, "… 'cause you're way too @#$%ing predictable."

"You mother @#$%er," they said as we burst into laughter. The other daring moments I have were bluffs in mock trials that lead to me winning… but I can't remember exactly what they were right now. I know one was quoting a law that had nothing to do with case, and a presenting it as if it had everything to do with it; and the other was calling in a witness after the judge explicitly said no other witnesses will be necessary.

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

However, eventually I'll be working up the courage to talk to this girl at my local coffee shop, so you never know…

This is my response: http://www.drunkduck.com/La_Vie_a_la_Mode/index.php?p=758657

Go for it, bro. She's a person just like you; walk up to her and talk to her like you would anyone else. If you want, I'll even give you one of my pickup lines:

"Hey. [pause for a second, then smile] Listen, I was going to come over here and say some cheesy line, like 'have we met before' or something. But you know? That's just dumb. My name is ___, what's yours?"

That has never failed me, and it won't fail you. And worse case scenario, she doesn't talk to you. You've lost nothing.

blindsk
blindsk
Posted at

"Hey. [pause for a second, then smile] Listen, I was going to come over here and say some cheesy line, like 'have we met before' or something. But you know? That's just dumb. My name is ___, what's yours?"

That has never failed me, and it won't fail you. And worse case scenario, she doesn't talk to you. You've lost nothing.

Wow, thanks for the advice. Definitely going to steal this. ;)

FormerDDer
FormerDDer
Posted at

No problem man. Just drop me a PQ with details when you do approach this girl. I'm now legitimately curious to see what will happen.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.