Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *

Work Ethics

ceb_dyson
ceb_dyson
Posted at

Here's a good question that I've been pondering over…What the hell happened to the work ethics in America?

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people around me do nothing but whine and complain about their job. Even better, they aren't doing anything to find something they'd actually take joy in. Also, I'm having a tough time getting a job because no work is calling in fer interviews, let alone hiring me. I bug the living daylights out of work places ta hire me, especially since I know I'd be good at what's required. I thought that enthusiastic workers would be the ones that get hired, but it's the "I don't like my job…" people who do. wtf?! Don't employers want people who'll happily work for them?

Basically, America has gone down hill a great deal and…I want a job!!!

Posted at

Don't employers want people who'll happily work for them?

How can they live out their slavedriver fantasies if they hire willing employees?

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Damn. I think you nailed that one L_B.

But to play Devil's advocate: How old are you and how much experience do you have? Are you trying to get a job in a field you haven't worked in before? When you call the potential employers, what do you say? I'm not trying to put he onus on you, it's just unusual that someone would have trouble finding any job.

Posted at

Rori, the trouble when you're too young is that you're underqualified. When you're older the problem is that you're overqualified. Everyone thinks "Well if I can't find anything else, I'll get a job at McDonald's" … if you were a manager at McDonald's and someone (probably older) than you with lots of education and experience in a white-collar field walked in and wanted a job, would you hire him? Or would you pass him by for the next person in line, younger, more likely to take orders, and who isn't just looking for a job he can quit as soon as he finds a better one?

I'm sure there's something about work ethics in there. If I had to work someplace like, ahem, Best Buy, while I was earning my Master's degree, I'd do the best job I could but at the end of the day they don't have my loyalty. They wouldn't be able to force me to constantly push their 'service plan' (for one thing) and as soon as a job related to my degree came up I'd dump them for the job I really wanted. Okay perhaps not being pushed around and bullied into loyalty is a different kind of ethic.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

That's my point in asking him the questions. If he's aiming much higher/lower than his qualifications then he's gonna have problems.

Although, I have to tell you from working in the retail industry that I have worked with many an overqualified person, and on some occassions been that person.

marine
marine
Posted at

Paris Hilton doesn't work, so why should the rest of America?

Also she doesn't eat, so why should we?

Posted at

America was never gung-ho on the work ethic completely, it just isn't marketed like it used to. Not as much of our good ol' propaganda supporting the idea of everyone wearing a nice suit and being happy with work. Frankly, it's never really been like that; and there are plenty of people in other countries who hate their jobs as well.

But I'd certainly love to have a job…I've applied at 5 places in the past 3 weeks.

Posted at

Here's a good question that I've been pondering over…What the hell happened to the work ethics in America?

Global economy. Cost of living.

But your topic asks a lot more than just that question …

Lately I've been hearing a lot of people around me do nothing but whine and complain about their job. Even better, they aren't doing anything to find something they'd actually take joy in.

I'll share a story which kind of relates to what you're saying. 4 of my friends used to work at Borders. 1 of the 4 liked it there. But the pay was pretty bad. They all ended up getting a job at this web hosting company, through a 5th and 6th friend. (Mostly my RPGing friends, heh). One by one they all interviewed at the place and got hired. Eventually, I was interviewed for a job there too. I was applying for a CSR job. I've got over a decade of experience in newspapers. I worked for the Wall Street Journal, living in Hong Kong. I've done copy editing. Graphic Design. Page design. Cartooning. And I've even been a writer. So answering phones and filling out tickets for people with web hosting problems is certainly a job I can handle. I was "overqualified." My resume got so much attention on the day I interviewed, that I got pitched a totally different job. One more suited to the things I do. So I made a big mistake and showed interest. Well, the CSR manager glossed over me, felt I wasn't dedicated to that kind of work. She hired someone else the next day. I waited 3 days to hear back about the job they pitched me. It never got created. I never got hired.

But here's the thing. That was like 6 months ago. For six SOLID MONTHS I've heard nothing but horror stories from 5 of my 6 friends who work there. So now I'm of the opinion that things worked out for the best. My friends' complaining totally turned me off to the place.

The job search continues. I'm not sure what the hangup is. I do ok with a temp agency I got involved with. But assignments where I live (Delaware) in my field (graphic design) are kind of sparse. So it's like quick jobs, take up lots of time for a week or so, then nothing for ages and ages. It really sucks to be over 30, have over a decade of work experience you're proud of and not get a damn callback on an interview for a position that would be a starter job paying 10k a year less than the last starter job you had.

Don't employers want people who'll happily work for them?

I highly recommend take some comm theory classes in college if you're still young enough and haven't graduated. My comm theory class filled me on some "management theories" from the 50s that are extremely outdated, and proven to not really harness workforce potential very well. But are still avidly used, and supported in business across the country. I see it in the healthcare jobs my mom used to work before she retired. And in the newspapers and printing offices I've worked in. It amazes me. Management is taught how to manage, with really dated principles. And this just goes on and on and on.

Basically, America has gone down hill a great deal and…I want a job!!!

I feel your pain!

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Steve! That sucks! How much are you looking to earn? This is somewhat tedious, and often smelly, but are there production houses/printers in your area? There's not much creativity in it, but I earned a decent living, and worked with plenty of people with design degrees who, for one reason or another, weren't working in design.

And I'm beginning to think "overqualified" means "you know more than me, therefore, you threaten the hell out of me." I got that just recently–at a student job no less! And one I was already employed at! It's hard, because you forget that managers, despite there awesome power, seldom shoulder the awesome responsibility (although some do have self-esteem, I love those managers, and they will hire good people).

And I think what's happened, in general, with the work ethic is the employers fault. I have a vast conspiracy theory about how the Corporate World Order is trying to turn every labor pool into a mobile one. But that's a different rant.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.