Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Comic Talk and General Discussion *
Aereis
Aereis
Posted at

WHY DON'T I CHECK THE FORUMS MORE OFTEN *rams head on key board* Arg I'm suck a zombie fan and now everything has been said…

um….um…some zombies don't eat animals (Dawn of the Dead–they didn't eat chips the dog)

Zombies can be funny (Shawn of the Dead—my all time fav movie)

Zombies retain some memories—(both previously mentioned movies)

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

Wait, if you classify zombies as walking dead, does that mean Frankenstein's monster is just a glorified zombie, or does he get his own category due to being made from a lot of corpses?

He's called a "Flesh Golem". Besides, he doesn't eat people, which REALLY puts him in a different category.

Ian Jay
Ian Jay
Posted at

Anyone seen Fido yet?

No, but I've seen the preview, and I want to reeeeal bad.

Also, Kodhok, I've never heard the term "Flesh Golem" used to describe Frankenstein's monster before, though it's actually pretty fitting. Did you make it up?

Also also, what's our stance on zombies being brought to life not by magic or viruses, but by restless spirits of dead people– for example (and I wish I could think of a better example here, but I can't at the moment), the benign Civil War-era zombies from Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island? Would they be considered another proper species of zombie, or just extensively possessed corpses?

Bekefel
Bekefel
Posted at

Zombies are actally known to exist in one part of the world, but in the same way as you might think. I will find the book on it later and perhaps explain, all I know is it's something to do with a drug found in plants and isolating the person in a coffin where the air compresses the brain or something, giving a zombie like state.

In any case, Ill find out later.

Posted at

Also also, what's our stance on zombies being brought to life not by magic or viruses, but by restless spirits of dead people– for example (and I wish I could think of a better example here, but I can't at the moment), the benign Civil War-era zombies from Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island? Would they be considered another proper species of zombie, or just extensively possessed corpses?

I love that movie.

I believe you could call those… I'm not sure. Let me run down my list of undead beings and see if any match that description…

Zombie-Maybe
Vampire-no
Werecreature-no
Jiangshi-no
Lich-no
Shade-Maybe
Hitodoma-no
Wisp-no
Ghost-no
Poltergeist-no
Boggart-no
Phantom-no
Reaper-no
Wight-no
Ghoul-no
Banshee-no
Flesh Golem-no

So, I suppose it would be a cross between a zombie and a shade. I'll call it a "Zombie Shade" in the same way that Romero Zombies are sometimes called "Zombie Ghouls".

Vdude
Vdude
Posted at

My opinion about zombie is that they can come out of their grave so they can feed on humans. Some zombies could spread when infection all over the world. Also, my opinion that zombies can only be killed by removing the head or destroying the brain. And another thing, Let's hopr Ash Williams from Army of Darkness stop the horde of zombies.

Kohdok
Kohdok
Posted at

Also, Kodhok, I've never heard the term "Flesh Golem" used to describe Frankenstein's monster before, though it's actually pretty fitting. Did you make it up?

Nope. It's a remarkably similar Dungeons and Dragons monster that gets bonuses when hit with electricity. It's a bunch of body parts sewn together and activated with electricity. It's obviously based on Frankenstein's Monster, which is why I used it.

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

Ah, thanks Kohdok, I knew there was something I'd forgotten. (I quite like the term flesh golem too, it sounds nice). But I did a bit of reading and confirmed my belief that the "original" zombies didn't eat at all. They really were golem-ish and raised/made/drugged to do their maker's bidding. So you could argue that they aren't really zombies at all. This is getting confusing.
Let's just settle for animated hungry dead people at the moment. I'm sure there's some zombies that dosn't fit that, but we'll take it an a case-to-case basis, right?

In the end I don't really care what's eating/killing me as long as they do it quickly. I'm not much for the prolonged pain thing. ;)

Redemption
Redemption
Posted at

I think I may go with: we need to know what is and isn't so we know what they *mean,* that is, what they symbolize, so we can better understand ourselves (which kinda ties in with the "fear of the unknown" one). The one about knowing what to prepare for is good too. Unfortunately, my original idea was just to put a rest to the debate, but apparently he wants more :/

I'm sure you could tie death very strongly into what zombies symbolise. So many fear death, and what lies beyond it; particularly what actually HAPPENS to the individual. Most zombies no longer retain their pre-dead characteristics and personality: they are a mindless, flesh-eating machine; animated but not truly alive. Existing in a gray area of 'life'.

The questions raised by the existance of zombies could be questions we ask about death anyway: do zombies and the dead retain their former selves? Are they still 'live', in any sense? What, when it comes down to it, defines a sharp line between life and death?

I've been writing quite a few essays about the randomest things this year. Hope some of that helps. Through in a couple of 'justaposition,' and the occasional 'consequently' and you'll be onto a good thing whatever you write. ;)

All the best for it, though.

Posted at

zombies have been known to feed on fresh corpses that have not become zombie like yet and then theres the zombies that actuelly have feelings but people are to stupid to realize not all zombies are evil and shoot up your only protection i have a character named zoey who doesn't eat holly the sweet lonely girl in BlairTown

Posted at

they can come out of their grave

NO.

Think about it. Is it physically possible for a rotting corpse (with rotting muscles, I might add) to dig its way out of a box and up through 6 feet of tightly packed soil?

But I did a bit of reading and confirmed my belief that the "original" zombies didn't eat at all. They really were golem-ish and raised/made/drugged to do their maker's bidding.

I think I already mentioned this. It comes from Voodoo folklore, but was changed by Popular Culture in the early 1900's into something scary.

A lot of creepy voodoo stuff was originally quite peaceful and not evil at all. The "evil" voodoo idea comes from slaves who practiced the religion trying to scare their masters. I think voodoo dolls were originally used to cure people, but the slaves began using voodoo dolls to scare their masters, who were ignorant of voodoo customs.

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

Indeed you did LIZARD_B1TE, I must have missed it at first, or forgotten you said it. It sounds like you know quite a bit about this subject and I won't claim to know much, I just enjoy reading a bit about things like that now and then.
My memory isn't the best so I forget where I've read things and quite often details too after a little while.
It's interesting how it's changed from being harmless to scary.
Maybe I should look mere into this next time I get the chance.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Well, to be turned into a Voodoo zombie was indeed a scary thing! And apparently, it was best to stay clear of the voodoo zombies even if they weren't going to eat you:

"I looked at him with surprise, thinking that he had been overtaken by an attack of madness; but he interrupted his prayer to say to me : "G�©n�©ral, pass�© vite; Clameille capabe vini. (General, come across fast, Clameille can come)

Wanting to find out what was Clameille, I spiked my horse, that soon took me over to Courouille. What do you mean, I asked him, with your Clameille?

This time he made a sign, and, persuaded that by this gesture he had driven away the bad spirits :

Clameille, he replied, c'est Zombi qui r�©t�© isit. Si moune pas pass�© vite, li �©gar�© yo. (Clameille is a Zombie who lives here. If a person doesn't go across fast he gets you lost)
(from La Republique de Haiti, 1871)

The Hollywood presentation of zombies stayed fairly much with the voodoo conception until Romero (it is true that he was influenced heavily by I Am Legend, but that involved more the idea of vampires). Man, I better get a good grade on this thing!

edit: sorry about the out-of-place charecters, I don't know how to make accented alternates, :(

Red Slayer
Red Slayer
Posted at

also, were the 28 days later rage infected really zombies or were they just really angry?…
This is a common mistake that needs to be addressed.

In few words 28 featured a virus that made people very angry, diving them into a permanent state of berzerking rage and what it seems to be a hive mentality.
Nowhere in the movie is stated that they come back to life, or seen anyone die and come back to life.

i have seen the movie several times and for what i have gathered none of the infected died after exposure, no one came back to life, and they still had beating hearts and working organs.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

I addressed that in my paper! That was a hard one, too. The "infected" share some important zombie symbolism, but because they don't die, and because they have to actually eat to live, they aren't "full zombies" as we've seen since 1968. I classified them as currently zombi-esque, but with the caveat that the term may change so that they are the "true" zombies, or the term may prove more tenacious and a new term must be invented for the infected.

My friends have VICIOUS battles over this, too.

btw–you guys helped a lot with the paper, sparking my mind and what not. Thanks so much :)

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

That actually sounds like a really good way to deal with that defenition-problem Rori.

And I really enjoyed helping, if you can call what I did help. It's always fun to talk about mysteries, myths and things like this.
Thank you for letting me get a little more social in here.

And just to keep you guys running:
I saw a place that claimed animated skeletons was just zombies that had decomposed so badly there was nothing left but the bones. Is it just me or does that sound ..wrong somehow?

Posted at

I saw a place that claimed animated skeletons was just zombies that had decomposed so badly there was nothing left but the bones. Is it just me or does that sound ..wrong somehow?
sounds stupid, to be honest. If there was nothing but the bones, then they would have no brain to keep the body moving. The brain is an really imporant thing here, see. For zombies to be destroyed you have to actually destroy the brain. Also its what keeps the body going even after death. that's the real defination of an zombie– an corspe powered by the brain. Whenever the brain runs on voodoo magic, virus, or unknown forces is up to you.

Well, with Animated skeletions, snice they have no brain, you have to destroy them in a different way… and thus, they are not powered by the brain.

calling those skeletions undead would be a more adept name.

Rori
Rori
Posted at

Hey Sysli, no problem!

And yeah, point about the brain taken, animated skeletons are not zombies, nor are mummies (which I've seen suggested).

I guess zombies are just so chic that every other monster wants in on it. Poseurs.

Posted at

That sounds about as logical as the idea of zombies popping out of their graves.

Sysli
Sysli
Posted at

Heh. Zombies are the new celebrity-monsters.

Well, it was an extraordinarily stupid book that suggested that. Even I found it stupid, and as we know, I'm not that good at identifying zombies.
But it does pose an interesting question. Some zombies are portrayed as being in a state of decoposing and I've started to wonder what would happen if it went on long enough. Would the zombie re-die when its body began to fall apart too badly to keep it moving, or is there something preventing that? I presume that the brain is at least partly secured, seeing as they go bad pretty quickly naturally… at least I think they do. I really should study more before I write, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm still interested in what happens when a zombie rot away.
I'm sure some of you zombie-experts out there can tell me.

Go on, teach the unknowing Sysli, you know you want to. ;)

Rori
Rori
Posted at

The whole decomposition thing is a big part behind the idea of solanum (cf. Max Brooks), the idea being that the virus inhibits decomposition…somehow. In the Return of the Living Dead series, the original zombie was sort of, eh, pickled? in Trioxin. Those zombies are HARD to kill, harder than rabid weasels, for sure.

Personally, I think zombies need to decompose, and be slow, dammit. Fast, nearly immortal zombies are just too much for me to deal with.

Eirikr
Eirikr
Posted at

Yeah, fast ones from 28 days late? BS. When you lose most brain functions, it's a miracle if you can even stay bipedal at all, let alone run like a Kenyan sprinter.

Sea_Cow
Sea_Cow
Posted at

I'm a zombie. :(

I know that I did not keep my intelligence, and I live on a constant supply of herring flesh. Of course, that makes me a freaky fish cow, hence the name.

Maybe they need human flesh to replace their own rotting supply?

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.