Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Well if you look at Blackriver's face and then consider the reaction he gets, that sort of answers the living dead question! Most people in Harkovast don't know about such things, but to a Shaman like Scatterpod, the idea is very offensive.

Other races reactions tend to be to disbelief that the Ano-Chee possess such magic.
I don't think there are any races off the top of my head that would be offended by the concept. Though if tensions rose with another race, the Ano-Chee's magic could be described as "unnatural" and "against the will of the gods" for propaganda purposes.

Renard
Renard
Posted at

Alright, so… I've been meaning to ask several questions since Black River killed that mercenary.

I'm assuming he tried to bring someone back from the dead (albeit forcing the issue), and for his troubles he's cursed to be forgotten, and seems to kill anything he touches. Does he have any control over his death power, or has he just learned to use it to his advantage when necessary (like killing the mercenary)?

So that got me thinking, when someone brings a soul back from the dead without getting the go ahead from the spirit world, what sort of danger is there?

Would the shaman be the only one at risk of harm, or would those around them (their family, the family of the soul they tried the bring back, their whole village) also pay some sort of price? Would the resurrected person also be cursed somehow? Is there the possibility that they may draw something dangerous from the spirit world instead (I realize that's pretty much the gist of Pet Cemetery).

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Black River cannot turn off his death touch.
Everything he touches dies, including plants.
Having said that, someone could potentially be touched briefly and just be left badly injured by the magic, but the key point is that this will always happen when he touches things.
Black River is just careful not to touch people and tends to avoid being around other people except when he needs to be.

Full points to Renard for logical deduction. I will reward your sluething!
Black River is cursed because of a failed attempt to ressurect someone at the wrong time.

For the most part, attempting something like this would just have no effect adn the ritual would fail without harmful side effects (though other Ano-Chee would still be deeply enraged if they found out about it.)
Black River was a shaman of great power so basically tried to force the ritual to work through his own strength of will.
He is pretty much a unique case, though theoreticlaly someone else could do something similar in the future.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.