Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

They were considered but (so far) have been rejected.
Unless I have a change of heart, no hippo men are planned.
But I do have changes of heart sometimes….

Canuovea
Canuovea
Posted at

If you make a race that is/can be called hippies the comic will either lose all credibility or just be that much more awesome.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Canuovea- Hippos are becoming more tempting all the time!

dwrean
dwrean
Posted at

i can understand why. i mean really, how many anthro-things actually use the hippopotamus? everyone is a cat, or dog, or domestic, or zebra, or not a hippo. the closest i think anyone has gotten are the rhinocermen aliens from doctor who! the reason i asked is because i have my own hippo people running around in my head, and was just wondering if i was going to be something like them from the tsavokraH. (seriously, say your name backwards, its awesome both ways!):))

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

you clearly haven't played the game "Sly Cooper". One of the main characters is an anthro hippo named "Murray"

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Hippo people….the future is becoming clear to me….
*divine light shines down on Harkovast*

Renard
Renard
Posted at

Hippos would be pretty cool; remember, they're one of the most dangerous animals in Africa.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Supposedly they do kill quite a few people each year over there.
In all honesty though, Harkovast is getting so chock full of races that some animals are going to end up getting left out just for lack of room.

Animals that would be cool but you are NOT likely to see include-
Hippos
Deer
Polar Bears

I don't rule anything out, but as it stands those are a few taht I regret probably not make the cut.

RED_NED
RED_NED
Posted at

Phew, I'm glad you weren't sold on dumb ass Hippo's. Yeah they kill a lot of people in Africa, but anthropomorphising them is a bad idea.

Firstly, they are big grey animals. You know what else is big and grey? Rhinos and Elephants. They have much much cooler traits and filling your world with lots of big grey animals is a bit lame (Africa is full of exciting species why pick 3 that are very similar?)

Rhinos have horns, thick armour-like leathery skin and their faces have a distinct look with low eyes giving them an almost permanent frown. They look angry and are built like tanks – kind of like a prehistoric bull.

Elephants were used in ancient armies as a weapon of war, have huge dangerous tusks and trunks are just bad ass. They have a really distinct look, unlike like any other beast on earth.

Hippo's have some similar points, but they dont have as leathery skin because they are aquatic. They are aggressively territorial like the rhino, a trait which makes them seem less advanced unless done in a very rigid militaristic style (I guess the Ivos have that covered though?). They have round facial features and a round body, where the rhino looks like muscle the hippo is just blubber. Their round face makes them look more friendly rather than threatening. Their round eyes on top of their head makes them look less aggressive, wheras the rhino's low eyes makes it seem angrier etc.

The face of a hippo makes it look like its smiling, again not very threatening:

The Hippo also has a stupid mouth:

First it looks like an hour glass. -1 point for funny shaped mouth. Secondly, it's large mouth and lips make it's teeth look small, thats a whole lotta gum which isn't as threatening. Also they slash with their teeth, they dont bite. How lame is that? You see a T-Rex and are like AWWW YEAH NOM NOM! Because chomping stuff is awesome. But the hippo swings its head like some kind of mentally handicapped fat kid to slash you. Boo!

Oh and I googled Hippo and this was on the front page:

Sums up the fat clowns…

Now don't get me wrong, hippos can work and I have bashed them really unfairly here because i'm comparing them to two other much cooler animals. You just have to be aware of a few things people may or may not think about them. Theres a reason why a lot of people are surprised to hear that hippos are dangerous because they don't really look it.

Also disney making them flounce about like ungainly retards in tutus probably didnt help their image much. Or is actually, as I believe, entirely accurate.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

But now I want to reclaim them!
Take them back and make them cool again (when I say again I actually mean ever!)
The temptation is growing all the time…

Canuovea
Canuovea
Posted at

You know Hark, if you have bears at all in the comic, you could put white bears in it.

After all, a Spirit Bear (I think) is a white haired black bear (Ha!). It could, technically, just be like having a different fur colour or pattern.

And Hippos are freaken scary.

Seriously. Yeah, they look harmless, but that mouth can snap you in half. And they are aquatic. I dunno if you're planning fish people Hark, but… well, hell, you can't very well have a bunch of land animal people and only have one type of water animal people! That would be landist!

Plus, they aren't all gray… sometimes they're pinkish gray.

If Hippos are like fat kids, then they are like the fat kid someone tries to pick on… and then the fat kid whoops their ass. Sure, don't believe me when I say it's happened, but it's happened.

I mean, boars are giant pigs with mini-tusks.
Hippos are like the warthogs of the rivers.

There, island naval power Hippos.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I do have bears planned who currently get fire and stone as their elements. I wouldn't want to do polar bears just as "some of the bears are white for no reason"
I would want them to be a proper separate group.
I suppose I could do polar bears with Ice and Fire….
Though this would be largely accademic, since they would get about 5 seconds fo screen time.
Still… an interesting thought.

Canuovea
Canuovea
Posted at

Okay, fair enough… though Spirit Bears aren't Polar Bears, you could always use that excuse! And Nymus have a large variety of bird species, eagles, vultures, etc… And what type of bears would you be using? North American Black Bear? The Asian Black Bear? The infamous Grizzly? Still, it's rather pointless anyway, if there would be about 5 seconds of screen time.

And, I've just had a thought. The Nameless Race(s) don't keep the same abilities (or elements) as they had before being turned to the "dark side", do they? I wouldn't think so because of the whole culture based thing. But, do you have elements for those races who are now nameless? Like the rats, what were the rats? Or mice, I dunno.

dwrean
dwrean
Posted at

first off, lol, what have i done! hark seems to really want to make a hippo character! before you decide to make any story provisions, you might just want to see how well you CAN draw a hippo anthro.
besides, doesnt actually have to be a race anyway. could be a mortal form for a hellmouth of one of the devils that might populate harkovastian faith. giant mouth seems to fit the bill. (wiki it)
great, now steeping into the religion page, might have to continue this there.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Canuovea I have never confirmed or denied any rumours regarding the origins of the Nameless race.
Turned to the dark side? An interesting theory.
Rats? Also interesting.

Hippos? MOST INTERESTING THING EVER!

GO TEAM HIPPO!

Canuovea
Canuovea
Posted at

Ah, but you have said that the KITW took over the nations of the West, who I presume became the Nameless race, simply because, well, they aren't just one race. Oh, and the KITW seems to be the "Take over and dominate all life" not the "Kill everything, RAAAAUGH" type.

Unless the KITW isn't really a material creature, but rather the center of a religion… then again, He could be both material and that, I suppose (and think He is). But, running with the theory, such a view would change their culture, hence their magic. Just thinking here.

"Run! The Hippies are coming! The Hippies are coming!" Hehehehehehehe… Well "Oh no! The Hippie god is manifest!" Also sounds weird.

Unless the Nameless are zombies. And they are already dead… hmm. Or something like zombies… hmm… But I don't think so, they use actual weapons and don't break people's braincase open and eat the contents (that we know of).

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

I will confirm that the KITW is a real physical person.
Beyond that, I am staying tight lipped!
Though I really do enjoy the speculaton.

dwrean
dwrean
Posted at

yeah, jacob and edward can suck it (or each other at any rate). GO TEAM HIPPO!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.