Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
ZananIV
ZananIV
Posted at

Anyone ever visit Superdickery.com? As it turns out, Silver Age DC was loaded with zany plots about how Batman got turned into a baby, Superman became a witch doctor and made Jimmy marry an ape, and the like.

So I'm thinking, why don't we pay homage to that era? Perhaps we could make a few insane Silver Age covers as:

A) A funny aside that we post between issues.

or

B) As part of a particularly wacky storyline.

I would, of course, be willing to think up some covers and help out with this.

So, if there's space and people are willing to do it, I think it could be cool.

Agree/Disagree/ Not interesting enough? / A little too comedic?

Posted at

I like the idea, I have been wanting to do some homages to stuff like that for myself. I think it would be awesome to see everyone in Silver Age style outfits :D

Posted at

As a lover of the Silver Age, even if it was weird sometimes, I wholeheartedly support the idea.

Posted at

This is a pretty cool idea!

For the record, this is my favourite Silver Age cover:

You and I got the same taste in favorites XD

ZananIV
ZananIV
Posted at

Here's a couple of ideas. Feel free to discard any of the "60s" designs. These are just rough ideas.

1)

Giant Sized Titan #1: The Coming of Cronostina!: Titan and a red-colored Titan-lookalike who wears a green domino mask stand atop the Earth(The Continents on that Earth are, of course, labeled). As Titan struggles to lift Africa, the Titan-lookalike wields the Americas as if it were a double-edged sword. Central America serves as her blade's hilt. This comic is dated "April 1975"

Cronostina (Thinking):
Now that I've used my Time Remote to accelerate her pituitary growth, my clone and I can fight on equal terms!

Titan:
I can't give up! I have to stop her! She's a HUGE THREAT to Freedom! And she looks just like me!

The bottom right portion of the cover advertises other stories contained within the book. The top of the column reads "Plus: Three MORE Rip-Roaring, Time-Tearing Adventures!. The three stories are "The Folly of The Ferryman", "Titan, A PRINCE CHARMING?" and "It Ain't Easy Bein' Green"

2)

Bombshell, Damsel of Distress # 35: Cover date June 1967. Bombshell stands atop a Soviet Tank in the midst of a snowfield. Though she tries to stop it with her other arm, Bombshell's NEW, RED ARM (with the hammer and sickle painted on it in yellow), fires an electrical current from each fingertip. These currents are electrifying the 60s versions of Shell, Rellik, Vora, Titan, Blue Jay, Comet Kid, and Azumorph. 60s Shell wears a clunky suit of Aluminum with Atari-2600 style dials on the side. 60s Rellik wears a suit of black Knight armor and giant, red-tinted sunglasses. 60s Vora looks the same, aside from her now using a bent, flexible wrench as a hairband and her wearing sandals. 60s Titan wears a black-and-white striped version of her current outfit with a clock insignia on her chest. 60s Blue Jay's cape is yellow, and he wears an outfit with a plunging neckline. 60s Comet Kid wears a mask and a torn cape, both with a "flame" pattern on them. In addition, his hair is pulled back into a ponytail. 60s Azumorph has a giant blue Afro.

CAPTION:
SHE THOUGHT IT WAS AN INNOCENT UPGRADE. SHE THOUGHT IT WOULD HELP! SHE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN THAT:

TITLE:
YOU'RE DEAD (IF YOU BUY RED)!

Bombshell's Arm:
FOR THE MOTHERLAND!

Bombshell:
No, I can't stop this RED MENACE! WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Posted at

I like both of the ideas :P seeing Azumorph in a afro would be awesome enough on its own XD

Heres an idea I had, I kinda like the context of it, but I have no idea how it would play out

Context: Relik "accidentally" removes the fabled sword excaliber and becomes King of England, who then decides to treat the rest of HA as enemies and puts them to death.

Caption: The Knight of an Alien World, now The Once and Future King of England!!

Image: Relik in his suit but with a crown on his head and his cape is more like a royal cape, pointing Excaliber toward Bombshell, Comet Kid, Azumorph, and Shell, who are kneeling in front of him, while shackled.

Relik: As the King, I hereby sentence you all to Death!!

Bombshell: *thoughts* We were once close allies, now he sentences us to death, how can he do this?!

ZananIV
ZananIV
Posted at

It's just an idea, you can change it around if you like.

Sux, you've got the silver age dialogue down pat. I think mine looks less like the real thing =P. Also, that's like, exactly the kind of plots the Silver Age had. I like it.

Posted at

It's just an idea, you can change it around if you like.

Sux, you've got the silver age dialogue down pat. I think mine looks less like the real thing =P. Also, that's like, exactly the kind of plots the Silver Age had. I like it.

thanks, I tend to look through Superdickery since I loved bizarre stuff :D

I also found this cool little cover, I essentially imagined that Superman and Batman were Shell and Relik, while the mummy dude is The Ancient, and it clicked :D

Posted at

We should start doing variant covers each issue to fill in the time before a new issue comes out.

Posted at

We should start doing variant covers each issue to fill in the time before a new issue comes out.

I like that idea :D

Posted at

If anyone wants help with Silver Ageness I may be able to lend a hand. Just pq me or something. I don't check out these boards very often.

Posted at

Thank you ZananIV who came up with the idea for this cover and who also designed the characters in description.

ZananIV
ZananIV
Posted at

Thank you, Legend Comics! Does anyone have an idea for how/when we should use this?

shastab24
shastab24
Posted at

I don't know, but one way that would be great to utilize such covers is like how they did in the Silver Age: put the cover out there and then have a writer write a story for it. It would be fun little bookend stories to do, I think.

Posted at

I'd like to see it as a filler but I don't know about a writer. I'm not interested in drawing the comic, anyway. My own comics have been waiting far too long as it is.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Oh, wow! This is just brilliant!

While I would love to see this turned into an actual story, I'm not sure when it could be done. So my suggestion is to use this as a filler after HA #3, but keep the possibility open for anyone to write and/or draw it. And even if this particular story doesn't get made, we should definitely have some silver-age-style story sometime soon.

Posted at

I agree with Abt but should we ever visit a Silver Age storyline at a later date I will definitely contribute!

shastab24
shastab24
Posted at

Legend Comics, you were born for the Silver Age, I think. Your style fits such vibrant, four-color stories.

Hero
Hero
Posted at

See my working theory is that the beam Azumorph's being hit with is actually responsible for the disco threads and afro. The danger of wholesale soviet tech!

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.