Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
The Webcomic Review Forum for the Webcomic Review Comic on the Web
Posted at

People who are arguing that mob ties represents Japanese culture-
No, it really really doesn't.
Other then a few cliche scenes the comic almost never gives the impression of being set in a foriegn land. Everyone acts thinks and lives exactly as they would if they were all American. If you substituted "Mafia boss" for Yakuza boss, the story would run just as well.

The only section of Japanese culture that seems to get much attention in this comic are-
1-The legal age to get married.
2-The uniforms worn by Japanese school girls for Gym.

Other then that, the Japanese setting is almost entirely unnecessary and mostly goes unnoticed. The fact there are no backgrounds doesn't help. This blank void could exist anywhere.

I feel this is an unfair statement for these reasons.

1- Yes, the marriage age is mentioned a lot at the beginning to help explain it. Yes, it's a major plot point. And they do get married in the comic, which then makes her of legal age. It seems that you're harping on something trying to make a point. But the point is, teenagers do have sex, in our culture as well as Japan. And once you are married you are OLD ENOUGH. A 16 year old gets married in Oklahoma with the permission of her caucasion parents, she is no longer underage she is Old Enough. By law.
2- Lay off the damn bloomers. It's a style of gym uniform I've seen in many anime, along with the one piece swimsuits with the name tags on them. They've only shown up in a few early comics, it's not like ever issue, of which there are 35, has the obligatory 'Oh God she tripped and you see her gym uniform. Fetish comic! FETISH COMIIIC!!! Won't someone think of the children?'. You're acting as if it's a major theme.

The comics archive could be cut by a third if you got rid of all the filler, which gets beyond a joke. If you cant update taht much, change your schedule! Stop posting filler.

This is being addressed, filler is going to be removed to make it a smoother ride, and for your information, yes, there were about a hundred filler pictures. But considering I now have over a thousand pages, well…not exactly half. Invalid argument.

I find the authors assertion that mika is "practically an adult" to be very creepy. Does that imply he considers all 15 year olds to be "practically an adult"?

TFGM suggests that this sort of thing is common in Anime. I would say that if this is true, then this is evidence of something horribly wrong with anime!
The fact that lots of pople are doing it does NOT make something okay!
If anime was full of racism would it be okay for you to put that in your comics?

First off, no. Don't start casting accusations about me or there will be ramifications.

Second off, your racism comment is interesting. Do you know how many racist cartoons there are in America? How many have had to be removed once other non-Caucasian races started gaining more power? What about if I had a comic about the revolutionary war and it had racist content? That would suit the times but would make people uncomfortable. A better example, Family guy. How much racist, offensive and distasteful stuff do they do? What about South Park? Futurama even? Do that mean that these shows are wrong and should be pulled?

This constant argument is starting to make you sound like a bigoted zealot with an agenda.

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

You're not exactly making yourself sound any better, you know.

I'm glad I'm only 17 and not very interested in these "grown up" conversations..

Though they're starting to sound like the ones i used to have when i was 10 arguing about who broke the cookie jar (it was me)
"But, I wanted a cookie"
"Why does that mean you had to break it?!"
"Be-because it was a accident!"

P.S: Read Nectar of the Gods XD

DrLuck
DrLuck
Posted at

This is being addressed, filler is going to be removed to make it a smoother ride, and for your information, yes, there were about a hundred filler pictures. But considering I now have over a thousand pages, well…not exactly half. Invalid argument.

So that's about 10% of the story being filler. So basically, one in every ten pages I read is filler. I get interrupted from the story every ten pages. It's quite valid, actually.

I honestly do want to see people improve, but if you're going to be arrogant and "I don't need to improve"-y about it, then damn, you're a lost cause.

Tell me, have you changed your comic format to be a proper print size like I told you in your topic awhile ago (since I'm presuming you wanted to make books), or is it still just web friendly?

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

So that's about 10% of the story being filler. So basically, one in every ten pages I read is filler. I get interrupted from the story every ten pages. It's quite valid, actually.

I honestly do want to see people improve, but if you're going to be arrogant and "I don't need to improve"-y about it, then damn, you're a lost cause.

Tell me, have you changed your comic format to be a proper print size like I told you in your topic awhile ago (since I'm presuming you wanted to make books), or is it still just web friendly?
speaking of… what IS a good format for printing it in books? i'm curious for if i ever want to

Happy Guy
Happy Guy
Posted at

Why does any of this matter??? Author-Ninja your better then arguing this shit.
and review jerks do you have better things to do then stur up shit??
I mean really were all intitled to our own thoughts.. good day :3

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

they aren't stirring it up…. and trust me… these are the nicest reviewers I've ever seen the reviews of

DrLuck
DrLuck
Posted at

Well, Author Ninja did volunteer for it, so stirring up shit was a request, if anything.

speaking of… what IS a good format for printing it in books? i'm curious for if i ever want to

It depends on how you do your art (sorta), if you do strictly traditional or if you also do digital things. With traditional, you have the leisure of being able to just scan your work again and have it at the right size. If you do digital, though, it needs to be the right size beforehand or you run into trouble.

For print-friendly books, your images should be 300 DPI (resolution). This means when you scan traditional, set your scanner so it scans at 300 DPI or higher. If you do digital strictly, make sure your document is at 300 DPI before you begin drawing. If you do a hybrid (like what I tend to do), scan the inks/pencils, and don't resize it any lower. You can always resize it smaller later as another file for web-use.

Also, your images should be big enough inch-wise. If you scanned your work at 300 DPI and don't resize it, your artwork size should be fine. If you're digital, though, look at how big your image is beforehand. Don't measure in pixels. Measure in inches. Personally, I'd recommend 11 by 17 inches just to be safe (you can always make your art smaller, but you can't make it bigger). If you're measuring in pixels, your pixels should be a couple thousand at least (mine tend to be a bit over 3000 pixels across after cropping and cleaning).

I say measure in inches, though, since that's easier to figure out for a book format. For example, I printed one of my books at 8 x 10 inches. 3000 pixels doesn't really tell me a lot. 11 x 17 does. I can just save a separate file at a lower size to fit that book. That way, if I wanna put the same image in a 11 x 17 book for example, I still got the big file for it.

Summary: 300 DPI, measure the image size in inches (I recommend 11 x 17 or something in that range), and when you want to have smaller images for the web or for smaller books, save a separate file for it and always have your biggest file around.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

and review jerks do you have better things to do then stir up shit??
I mean really are all entitled to our own thoughts.. good day :3
fixed.

Dude, seriously, proofread before you hit send.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

And so, author ninja comes down to the level of his supporters, throwing insults and even threats instead of having a real argument. The apple does not fall far from the tree, I guess.

Author Ninja, you just said that you think 15 year old's are "practically adults".
I pointed this out and the fact that you were making a very creepy observation.
If you don't think they are "practically adult" don't say that.
Or there will be RAMIFICATIONS! (What does that even mean? Am I being threatened over the internet now?

There are lots of comics and movies and tv shows with racist content, you are right.
That does NOT make it okay! The fact that someone else does something does not mean YOU have to do it! You can think for yourself and not repeat the offensive mistakes of others.

Also a comic that deals with racism is very different from one that is just racist.

In the same way, dealing with issues of adults having relationships with children is a legitimate topic, but it is not a legitimate topic for smutty fan service and cheap giggles, which is what you do and what I find disgusting about your comic.

If your comic was done with live models posing for it of the ages the characters are meant to be, parts of it would be illegal. Think about that!

A bigoted zealot with an agenda?
Ummm, I guess I am bigoted against under aged fan service and not wanting to see naked kids is certainly an agenda I support.
I like that you tell me our review was just trolling and invalid while at the same time acknowledging you are making changes based on our recommendations. So we have helped make your comic better. So I just want to say- "You are welcome!"

And can I just remind everyone that despite what author ninja keeps trying to suggest- HE ASKED FOR THE REVIEW! If you didn't want to get criticised, don't ask people to criticise you! We have always been very open about how honest and harsh our reviews are, so you cant claim ignorance about what you were going to get from us! We'd done plenty of bad reviews before, and we've objected to offensive content before, so any surprise is your own fault.

Posted at

I can understand an author getting angry because somebody gave a bad review about his/her work. Who knows? Maybe I would react the same way towards a bad review.

What I cannot understand is an author hiding behind excuses like "well, other anime series have done it", "It's seen in ABC manga".

Yes, there are manga/anime that puts teenagers in risqué situations. Yes, some of them are actually very well written and draw. But that doesn't mean that there would not be any values dissonance with western readers.

To give a personal example, I LOVED Masakazu Katsura's I"s when I was 16. I still think it's a well written manga and a good example of how to do high-school romance from a male perspective. I still think it has an honest approach about how boys see girls and sex when we're teens and early 20's. The art was one of my main inspirations when I was starting to draw manga-style. I would recommend it to anybody asking for a descent shonen romance. Still, the fanservice IRKED me when I recently took a read of it again (being now 27). I gave a free pass (barely) because the writing and it was more than just fanservice. But that doesn't mean that it didn't strike me as inappropriate.

The thing is, dear author, incest IS creepy, grown men lusting for teens IS creepy, grown men spanking teens IS creepy, rape IS creepy!!!

A lot of the anime IS VERY creepy! I'm a manga/anime fan and I will admit that!!!

I like Japanese culture, I would love to go study or work in Japan and spend some time there. But I would be a moron to not admit that they can come up with SERIOUSLY FUCKED UP SHIT to my Western point of view.

Besides, I can understand the whole "The Simpsons already did it" mentality. I'm aware that there may not be nothing new to do in fiction and is more important the HOW than the WHAT in storytelling. But just raise the shoulders and say "it's how others have done it" is plain lazy.

Also, if the focus is too much in the age gap between the main characters, there is a reason for that. This is what is setting all the plot in motion. It's the main drive. It SHOULD get the main focus at the moment of reviewing.

What brings me to some of the responses of this comic's fans.

Some seem to have a very poor understanding about how the reviewing and criticism works. It's not just "dress up opinions".

"The art is good-bad", "the story is fun-boring". THAT is just opinion.

Criticism deals with analysis, observation and see beyond the initial emotional response to a certain work. Is spotting it's strengths and weaknesses, see how the individual elements hold together as a unique entity and why.

The beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but the quality not so much.

I said it before, and I will hammer the point a lot more: Webcomics, more than ANY OTHER media, need the criticism. Need the reviewing. Need the trashing and bashing.

Other forms of storytelling have the advantage of editors and other people that can see and point the flaws and weaknesses because they are not emotionally invested in the work so they can be more objective about it.

The response of fans is something amazing, and is great when they are willing to point out when the story or the art isn't working anymore instead of leaving when it stops appealing them, but the criticism from a third party is equally necessary to the improvement as an artist and writer.

It doesn't matter if you're doing this just for fun or aspiring make profit of your webcomic, you're posting your work on the Internet, so you're subjecting yourself to public opinion.

Want to be critic or analysis free? Do your work just for yourself.

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

At least somebody likes this comic.

yo pedobear! What's Shakin'? been in contact with EFG much?

Chelleromo
Chelleromo
Posted at

Hmm…I'm not really good at posting large statements without sounding disjointed, so let's see if I can organize this:

First and foremost, please stop acting like Author Ninja is a huge whiny jerk for trying to refute some of your points. You basically called him a pedophile and told him something he's been working on for a long time is nothing more than complete and utter trash. You're implying all sorts of negative things with your tone and the way you are responding. AN would have to be a freaking saint not to get a little riled up about the way you're acting. And it's not just because of his angry reply, you haven't exactly been sweethearts to him from the start.

Secondly, and I know this has been said, the characters are Japanese. Mika is almost-legal by Japan's standards. AN was trying to make Mob Ties so that the comic was actually following Japan's standards. As he already mentioned, she was originally 18, but changed her age to 15 because it's a plot point that she's not yet a legal adult. If Mika was 18, then this entire claim doesn't have any ground because she would be well-over legal. I know you hate it because he's supposedly pushing some sort of pro-pedophile agenda (which isn't correct, because Mika is NOT pre-pubescent. The correct terms would be either hebephilia or ephebophilia depeding on how far along she is in her adolescence.) and is out to burn our eyes with his criminally under-age character's naughty bits, but in reality, I hate to tell you, he's not.

Oh, that brings me to another point: Sid never has sex with Mika. He may lust after her because, oh, I dunno, she's a pretty and young? Despite what some people seem to believe, it is a truth in this world that teenagers have sex. Fourteen year-olds, sixteen-year olds, they have sex with adults. Older men lust after them because they are young and pretty. This is a fact of life. Sid is a 30-some guy who just got engaged to a pretty girl but can't do anything with her because she's afraid of men. This is believable characterization. I would have a harder time believing that Sid doesn't want to have sex with Mika, just for all of the above listed reasons. He's in Japan, she's his wife. I'm sorry if you don't agree with this, but that's the truth.

I know I had more to say on the matter, but my thoughts are in a bit of a jumble. Maybe I'll remember them later, but for now, I guess this will have to be all.

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

HOW ARE YOU GUYS POSTING SO MANY LONG POSTS!!! YOU COULD MAKE A NOVEL WITH THIS TOPIC ON THE DIFFERENT OPINION OF MOB TIES!!!

Which is very hard…

DrLuck
DrLuck
Posted at

First and foremost, please stop acting like Author Ninja is a huge whiny jerk for trying to refute some of your points. You basically called him a pedophile and told him something he's been working on for a long time is nothing more than complete and utter trash. You're implying all sorts of negative things with your tone and the way you are responding. AN would have to be a freaking saint not to get a little riled up about the way you're acting. And it's not just because of his angry reply, you haven't exactly been sweethearts to him from the start.

I personally think Author Ninja is the most immature brat I've seen in any of these comic creators being reviewed. Let's review the points:

1) He volunteered to be reviewed by a couple guys that are notorious for frank and crushing reviews. Do your homework next time.
2) The post I got pissed off about was a post of him being arrogant and "not needing to change anything." The only reason he's changing the filler issue is because multiple fans agreed with that point, to which he says, "Well, if people are going to bitch about placeholders…" It's reluctance, not eagerness to improve.
3) His argument is basically, "Well in my anime I watch it's totally okay," without really understanding why the source materials may have taboo topics (see: rape) and treating it differently. I would hardly call a cartoon with comical issues and puns to be a good tone to put in the subject of rape. Take Ctrl+Alt+Del for example. A joke comic about gamers talking about miscarriage. It's inappropriate for the tone of the story.
4) I personally have not insulted Author Ninja (until recently with calling him an immature brat), and his reply that got me angry was condescending and arrogant with my points of drawing backgrounds. Don't paint Author Ninja as being completely in the right. Both sides are insulting one another.

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

and I'm trying to cool down people between heated posts by stating totally incoherent things!!!

LIKE CHOCOLATE AIRPLANES!!!

Chelleromo
Chelleromo
Posted at

I personally think Author Ninja is the most immature brat I've seen in any of these comic creators being reviewed. Let's review the points:

1) He volunteered to be reviewed by a couple guys that are notorious for frank and crushing reviews. Do your homework next time.

I know he volunteered to be reviewed. I never said otherwise. I was just pointing out how they were being a little nastier than they needed to be to get their point across. I personally have never read this review comic before now, so I had no idea they were "frank and crushing". I guess I should apologize for not looking at my sources. Pfft, I guess I sounded like I was a white-knighting 'tard, then.

2) The post I got pissed off about was a post of him being arrogant and "not needing to change anything." The only reason he's changing the filler issue is because multiple fans agreed with that point, to which he says, "Well, if people are going to bitch about placeholders…" It's reluctance, not eagerness to improve.
3) His argument is basically, "Well in my anime I watch it's totally okay," without really understanding why the source materials may have taboo topics (see: rape) and treating it differently. I would hardly call a cartoon with comical issues and puns to be a good tone to put in the subject of rape. Take Ctrl+Alt+Del for example. A joke comic about gamers talking about miscarriage. It's inappropriate for the tone of the story.

I…understand what you mean. But he was already planning on removing the filler anyways, before this review, because I remember him asking us (the readers) if we thought it would make it a better read. I guess now he has a very good reason to do so and to do so immediately. And I understand how the subjects of rape and incest can make people feel very squicky, but I'm not going to get on his case about that. I do agree with you about his anime arguement, though.

4) I personally have not insulted Author Ninja (until recently with calling him an immature brat), and his reply that got me angry was condescending and arrogant with my points of drawing backgrounds. Don't paint Author Ninja as being completely in the right. Both sides are insulting one another.

I didn't mean to sound like he's my Messiah or anything, so I'm sorry if it came off that way. You bring up very good points, and I think he'd listen to them on a normal day. But he's just been completely ripped a new one by a whole bunch of people at once, so he's probably very defensive and upset. That may not excuse him, but he's always been so nice to his readers, so I don't think it's fair to back him into a corner and then expect him to be a shining paradigm of human dignity. But that's just me. You don't have to feel the same way, or anything.

RPGgrenade
RPGgrenade
Posted at

So….. dudes……. we all cool now? or are we making a sequel to this very long novel?

VegaX
VegaX
Posted at

As for my art. It's my style. Don't like it? Bite me. I've been drawing like this for 24 years, I'm not about to make a drastic change.
This made me laugh.
Sure, he's got arrogance oozing out of his ears, but i found the complete lack of desire to improve pretty fascination. How can anyone draw the same for 24 years and not be able to improve or not want to? Strange.

As for the comic, well i HAD to check it out after all this fanatic "twilight" fan stuff going on but i had to stop after a few pages. Not my thing.

Chelleromo
Chelleromo
Posted at

So….. dudes……. we all cool now? or are we making a sequel to this very long novel?
I don't even know. I can't ever seem to shut up. It's a curse, I swear.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

I…understand what you mean. But he was already planning on removing the filler anyways, before this review, because I remember him asking us (the readers) if we thought it would make it a better read. I guess now he has a very good reason to do so and to do so immediately. And I understand how the subjects of rape and incest can make people feel very squicky, but I'm not going to get on his case about that. I do agree with you about his anime arguement, though.

Sounds to me like the guy has no idea about pacing and flow. If he has to ASK his readers if he should remove the filler, then he seriously needs to reconsider his story telling methods. Look at some of the most popular comics out there. Girl Genius and Schlock Mercenary for example, neither have filler and both are excellent examples of how to tell a story. Add a page every ten or so pages that says sorry, no update, too busy. Then try and stay in the story. That's what's happening with Mob Ties and its filler. I won't address the story issues here, but I will gladly point them out if anyone asks. Back to the filler issue, no one likes filler, and it is the second best way to lose readers, next to having an incredibly boring story. I stopped reading Megatokyo because of it. I stopped reading Applegeeks because of it, and I stopped reading Mob Ties because of it.

Secondly, and I know this has been said, the characters are Japanese. Mika is almost-legal by Japan's standards. AN was trying to make Mob Ties so that the comic was actually following Japan's standards. As he already mentioned, she was originally 18, but changed her age to 15 because it's a plot point that she's not yet a legal adult. If Mika was 18, then this entire claim doesn't have any ground because she would be well-over legal. I know you hate it because he's supposedly pushing some sort of pro-pedophile agenda (which isn't correct, because Mika is NOT pre-pubescent. The correct terms would be either hebephilia or ephebophilia depeding on how far along she is in her adolescence.) and is out to burn our eyes with his criminally under-age character's naughty bits, but in reality, I hate to tell you, he's not.
This has already been addressed by Dark Pascual, it's values dissonance. Modern western culture has eighteen as the general age of adulthood and thus, the age of consent. A sixteen year-old wed to a thirty, thirty-one year-old is going to creep people out. Yes I have known people to be married and have this large of an age gap, but those people were in their thirties and fifties. Hark and Kev are not Japanese, they are not going to overlook something like this when the art and the story are as weak as they are.

As for calling An a pedo, I don't recall anyone calling him a pedo. Hark and Kev just said that using a fifteen year-old in fan-service shots was inexcusable. As they said, it's one of their buttons. As I've said, Mob Ties reads more like a parody and is probably has the most inappropriate tone for seriously addressing these issues that AN mentions. Before you start typing your rebuttal to this I'd like to point out that MT is currently classified as a comedy, and that there is a page at the beginning of the beach arc that has sixteen year-old Mika running towards the reader and having the comic equivalent of a slo-mo jiggle shot, complete with the jiggle sound effect. While we are discussing the beach arc, there is the page with Mika saying they should all get naked, the page which has a teenager squeezing Taro's breasts, the several pages that had several of the female members of the cast with naught but the wind between them and God, ans the page that had Mika's bathing suit falling off of one shoulder. That's just one arc and that's just what I could remember. As far as I can tell none of us have called AN a pedo, but the comic does have some unfortunate implications in it.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more contrived the excuses for the plot become, the more slap-together the plot feels, and the weaker AN's argument seems.

Salsa
Salsa
Posted at

As for my art. It's my style. Don't like it? Bite me. I've been drawing like this for 24 years, I'm not about to make a drastic change.
This made me laugh.
Sure, he's got arrogance oozing out of his ears, but i found the complete lack of desire to improve pretty fascination. How can anyone draw the same for 24 years and not be able to improve or not want to? Strange.

Should have seen my post on page two about that. Just look at the difference in 5 years, which is shorter than Mob Ties's run I believe.

As for the comic, well i HAD to check it out after all this fanatic "twilight" fan stuff going on but i had to stop after a few pages. Not my thing.

I think that after the string of bad comics, Hark and Kev just saw the fan-service and just blew the rest of the bad stuff out of proportion. They have some good points and the fans of the comic had some good counter points, but AN just poured liquid oxygen on the smoldering mess with his response on page one and the post in his own forum. Honestly, both sides are at fault, me included, and things just got real ugly.

Chelleromo
Chelleromo
Posted at

As for calling An a pedo, I don't recall anyone calling him a pedo. Hark and Kev just said that using a fifteen year-old in fan-service shots was inexcusable. As they said, it's one of their buttons. As I've said, Mob Ties reads more like a parody and is probably has the most inappropriate tone for seriously addressing these issues that AN mentions. Before you start typing your rebuttal to this I'd like to point out that MT is currently classified as a comedy, and that there is a page at the beginning of the beach arc that has sixteen year-old Mika running towards the reader and having the comic equivalent of a slo-mo jiggle shot, complete with the jiggle sound effect. While we are discussing the beach arc, there is the page with Mika saying they should all get naked, the page which has a teenager squeezing Taro's breasts, the several pages that had several of the female members of the cast with naught but the wind between them and God, ans the page that had Mika's bathing suit falling off of one shoulder. That's just one arc and that's just what I could remember. As far as I can tell none of us have called AN a pedo, but the comic does have some unfortunate implications in it.

You don't always have to say things out loud. That's just the impression I, personally, gleaned from part of their points. I should have clarified that.

And I guess I'll just never agree with you or Hark or Kev because I see nothing wrong. I'm not bothered by the fanservice in Mob Ties, because I don't see it as fanservice. And, as you already know, I am not bothered by Mika's age. All of this is because I don't think the author is selling porn, I don't think he's writing smut, and I don't think he's condoning rape, incest, child pornography, et cetera. I just like Mob Ties because I find it entertaining and fun. I don't think there's anything wrong with making jokes about breasts or sex or anything, because these aren't real people and they don't exist once I exit my browser.

That's just me, though. I don't claim to speak for anyone else.

harkovast
harkovast
Posted at

Chelleromo the comic is about lusting after an under age girl.
You yourself describe her as almost legal. The key word there is ALMOST!
Almost legal is ILLEGAL!
And that is illegal by Japan's rather sexist laws for letting young girls marry. By western standard (ie the standards of the culture of everyone posting here) it is sick and wrong.
The fact you followed it up with demanding we correctly categorise "hebephilia or ephebophilia" makes this debate start to seem funny.
Sorry if I was being offensive to perverts, but to me if you want to look at naked 15 year olds, you are a sicko. You can give that any technical/pc term you want, but to me someone who does that is a sicko, end of story.
I know this might sound weird, but I am attracted to adult women and not attracted to children. Weird I know.
And can you all give it a rest on this "15 is practically adult!" BS? Are you trying to make this comic seem sleazy? I swear you Mob Ties fans do a better job of painting yourselves as perverts then I ever could!

Canuovea
Canuovea
Posted at

I read it after all. So here's my opinion, and I'm generally fairly accepting and laid back.

It was not my cup of tea, it didn't really interest me, but I can understand how others would read it and enjoy it without them being perverts.

First off. Art. Not particularly impressed, but I was not really negatively effected by it. It could do with improvement, but most things can. I'm not exactly a fan of the manga exaggeration style that seems to come up; ie, Burns size changing constantly, isn't he 6'4 or something?

Fanservice. I glaze over when it comes to things like this. There were parts I found disturbing, I'm not letting the comic off the hook, but I tend not to notice unless it's in your face. Some of it was in your face, like Ryu's (the brother) soon to be ex wife shoving overly large breasts onto glass. Please, no. And the bath preparation scenes etc were… well… ech for me. Too much, thank you.

Filler. Thank goodness AN is getting rid of that already.

Story. Personally I think it should have ended at around issue 16 or 17 after Bengal is first revealed. It does seem chopped up and slapped together, but I understand some liking it. There are some heartwarming moments, and I think the author is probably sincere in saying the story is about family and coping with tragedies etc; rather than being meant for pedo creeps. That may not always come through unfortunately. Overall, it ain't no Lolita or Catcher in the Rye. I don't particularly like it. But that is my opinion on it, others have different opinions and I refuse to automatically villanize other's who hold the opposing opinion by just calling them pedophiles (or whatever the correct term is); I demand more evidence.

I did like the line "Ow my favourite spleen!" but I suspect that is another Manga cliche.

Here's my main problem with it, and it is something the author admits as well, it isn't actually original. A lot of the comic seems to be drawn from other manga, maybe due to the fact it's supposed to be a parody of manga but might take itself too seriously. There's nothing new or all that interesting there for me. Sure, maybe asking for originality is a bit much, but oh well. I found Charby the Vampirate, for example, more interesting because I find it very original. I wonder if that is ever going to be reviewed here… Nah. It's not on the list. And for those attacking Harkovast (the comic). I like it. You don't? Too bad, don't read it. I think it's original, even if it's high fantasy!

And if most of the manga/anime that Author Ninja reads/watches bears similarity to, or takes some of the more disturbing aspects of the comic to greater degrees, then I will not read/watch them. And I advise that Hark and Kev don't either. Doesn't make Author Ninja a pedophile though.

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.