Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer
Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

irrevenant wrote:
Incidentally, from what we've seen of the HUniverse so far I suspect that unlike the DCU, it does not have a galactic police force.  Instead it's probably made up of numerous empires, federations, etc. (as well as individual worlds) each with their own laws and methods of enforcement.  Not only is that more interesting for storytelling purposes, it also allows individual creators more freedom - both Energize and Relik have been pursued by space authorities and the two don't have to be consistent with each other.
I very much endorse this concept! :)

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

AzuJOD wrote:
Mybe they want our organs (not sure why), maybe they want our blood (which brings us back to Aztec aliens and their blood magic), or maybe they just some new slaves (and maybe instead of the pirates being one species, they could several different species, with some individuals being former slaves)
Another idea I had was using sux's "Pod Aliens" idea that was submitted a while ago (over three years ago in fact)
https://next.theduckwebcomics.com/forum/topic/176009/
The story could be that these strange pods appeared underground and are discovered by someone (namely, Men In Black agents) only for pods to open up and attach themselves to their faces, assimlating them into their collective.
The "pod aliens" story seems like a nice one to do in season 2.
And I'm partial to the idea that the "Aztec aliens" could be after our blood… okay, now I have to think of Lifeforce's space vampires… :D

And yes, sorry for not making clearer that it's not really about what the pirates are after, but more about who they are. You can just assume that there's something on earth they want and which only earth has.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

ironhand wrote:
Sending down the generals is probably all they think they need to do. Of course, when HA strikes back, the leader himself will realise he needs to get his hands dirty, too, perhaps.
If they don't know what's down there they should send reconnaissance (that's a sort of universal military law ;) ). Scouts. Which I think is what the 1st part should be about.

When I think of leader-type aliens in superhero comics, I always think of big brutes. Mongul, Thanos, Darkseid. And they're typically one-note characters: They have a "thing" (Mongul: war world, Thanos: infinity gems, Darkseid: anti-life equation) which is just as one-note, and then they are a physical threat, which also gets old quickly. They are typically imposing and impressive, but don't make for psychologically interesting characters. They're just despots, and their appeal mainly comes from mythological elements. This is also why their coming is always more interesting than their presence, and why they're more suited for the end of a story than for continued presence during a story. They're usually played as a looming threat for a while, and when they're finally there, there's some huge brutal fight.

So, the question is: Would these pirates be big one-note brutes with a "thing" they're after? Or are they more layered, complex characters? Because that's what shapes the narrative.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

Could the scouts in a way not be the generals? These are the villains of space, so I'd imagine they'd send down some pretty strong contenders down there, who can either do the job themselves, or hold their own and call for back-up if they needed. Having 4 or so generals would be enough to have some HA occupied with them, and more character stuff/other plotlines happening.
As for the leader, I had him down as a Thanos kind of guy, but with more of a level head about him. He's big, powerful, so that's the part that's in your face. But I think the bit I want to sort of play with is how level-headed he is, and how he doesn't really get involved unless he absolutely needs to (he would probably rather make threats eg give me what I want or I burn your world than actually go ahead with his threats) If you've got something you can give to him, he'll be your best friend and would help out. Cross him, and that's another story. Perhaps in future issues, the HA might be able to help him out, so he'd join them (and NOT try to kill them after.) I really want to highlight that this guy understands to sort of rule by fear, but only actually making examples if necessary (or provoked)
So to answer your question, half about their brutality, half about character. The generals, for example, will all have different reasons for being where they are (nowhere else TO go/natural born killer etc.) and will be the character side. But with them comes the army, which is the brutality side of things. I'd say they're after this thing, but the leader is more than willing to go down different routes than just tearing through the planet. If you read Invincible, think Thragg (he's an animal at fighting, but at times makes deals and truces to think of the bigger picture which will help out in the longer term)

Genejoke
Genejoke
Posted at

Just gonna throw a few ideas into the wind.
A more demonic invasion.  Savage primitive aliens but extremely deadly.  perhaps they could have over run a more advanced race and used their ships which were already on course for earth, when they crash on earth the savage beast run riot.  they plus side is they can be memorable but not too deep or interesting.

an interdimensional invasion where an alternate reality with a facist regime with superhuman soldiers (versions of HU characteras etc) invades the HU reality.  This kind of negates the alien concept, perhaps another story?
An invasion that is ultimately brought on by a heroes action actions.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

Okay, I've been brainstorming again and got another idea. This is almost similar to the idea we had with the Bounty Hunters (they're looking for an energy of sorts) but this time with an alien race: The J'Saari. These are aliens that don't actually come down and fight the fight themselves - but send down drones (think huge alien-mechanical behemoths and soldiers etc) - thus we have a similar story but a different aspect for the aliens. The J'Saari themselves are a very intellectual race with a sort-of hive-mind. I'll draw up a sketch for them soon, but the idea is they're a pretty scary bunch.
The idea I have with the bounty hunter could perhaps come next season. I was thinking maybe next season could be dealing with more outer-world stuff now we've stepped into that territory. Perhaps the bounty-hunters could turn up then by attemtping to steal the teams ship or something? 
As for this idea with the J'Saari, I'll send it you right away via email, abt.

cdmalcolm1
cdmalcolm1
Posted at

I know I'm not part of the creative process but I was talking irreverent a few weeks back in another forum here about using "Shard" as the reason to collectively get his pieces together again. I love the idea that he is an inter-dimensional character that slips into existence via shards. He I think would be the perfect hidden secret as to why the aliens would come to earth for invasion. We would just drop hints by showing different pieces of Shards in the main villains characters at the end of each story. Maybe at the very end a Silhouette of shard in the shadow smiling. He is about to invade our dimension after planned invasion you guys discussed above.

I was going to use Shard as a partial first villain in Solarcell at a hint for the invasion in HA.

Posted at

I rather like the idea of a aliens who don't really fight themselves but send drones and soldiers (perhaps even conscripted soldiers taken from captive planets) a very interesting thing.
I don't know why but I kind of see them as like the Ottoman empire for some reason. XD

ironhand wrote:
Okay, I've been brainstorming again and got another idea. This is almost similar to the idea we had with the Bounty Hunters (they're looking for an energy of sorts) but this time with an alien race: The J'Saari. These are aliens that don't actually come down and fight the fight themselves - but send down drones (think huge alien-mechanical behemoths and soldiers etc) - thus we have a similar story but a different aspect for the aliens. The J'Saari themselves are a very intellectual race with a sort-of hive-mind. I'll draw up a sketch for them soon, but the idea is they're a pretty scary bunch.
The idea I have with the bounty hunter could perhaps come next season. I was thinking maybe next season could be dealing with more outer-world stuff now we've stepped into that territory. Perhaps the bounty-hunters could turn up then by attemtping to steal the teams ship or something? 
As for this idea with the J'Saari, I'll send it you right away via email, abt.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

I still need to sketch up the J'Saari I keep forgetting. But yes, as I said, they will send down more drones and robotics to fight for them while they sit more comfortable inside. 

Hero
Hero
Posted at

Oh, hey. Y'all are talking about including Comet Kid more, I should probably weigh in on this discussion.

I should note that Comet Kid does take place in the Arizona and if you're talking about like Aztec style alien invaders, Arizona isn't where any Aztec civilizations were likely located, but is close enough to Mexico, where they were in places, that it might be the first places in the US to notice them if they come back to their own stompin' grounds. Also, yeah, Comet Kid is Mexican so it's not inconcievable that he might possess some Aztec heritage.

Also, part of my scrapped ideas for Crime Warp's chapter had Crime Warp stealing his teleporting belt buckle from an ancient Aztecan temple that turned into a giant floating seige engine, so I dunno if y'all wanna fit that in anywhere, but it's a thought. Not like that specific plotline, but like aliens having reserve weapons and technology burried on earth for easy access if they've already been here before.

In addition to also, I'm very tired of the "Aliens are responisble for all ancient minority advancement" thing, so if we do make them Aztecan in design, let's please not say thatAztecs cribbed all their notes from Aliens. Like, maybe they've met and fought or even perhaps traded style notes, but not like everything advanced Aztecs did was because of Aliens.

Plus, in addition to also, I really like the concept of serpentine aliens or feathered serpents. Like, that would necessetate technology and vehicle designs that would be unique and interesting in comparison to bipedal stuff.

PS. If we do use serpentine aliens, it could be interesting if like Azumorph, Imp or even one of Comet Kid's constructs are needed to physically operate any of the alien technology.

Hero
Hero
Posted at

So, hey. I have no idea how set in stone anything is with this chapter, so let me know if I'm stepping on any toes, but, for your consideration snake type aliens:

And, like a personal interface drone that doubles as a weapon operated by the tail.

Also, like Antfarm style spaceships rather than a typical humanoid interface ship.

And, assorted alien combat drones!

I'm generally assuming like "codenames" for the technology are given by US/Central American authorities so like stop me if I'm wrong.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

Very cool. If these don't end up getting used, we should have them appear in some other way. (I think ironhand's our HA alien authority for this chapter, he's been planning much of the story.)

Posted at

Very cool. I think I also designed some aliens, mostly plant people tho.

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

Sorry I've been gone so long. I've been sitting on sketches for the J'Saari and their ships etc for quite some time now…I'll get working on them properly ASAP and bring them to the table.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

It might actually be fun/useful to start mapping out the wider HUniverse beyond Earth.  We'll need that stuff for Season 2, and if a variety of people throw in a variety of ideas for races we should end up with a fairly diverse galaxy.  IIRC, there's a few races associated with characters on the wiki too. 

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

Sorry for the long wait, guys. Here's what I've got so far.

The J'Saari themselves are actually small in numbers and have a hive mind (I'm thinking around 5/6 will be in the mothership and no more)…what they lack in the numbers they make up for with high intelligence and also strong power. They can fly and fire black and bright blue energies. They seem to look down upon getting their hands dirty, though, preferring they leave that to their drones.

The J'Saari Drones are controlled completely by the J'Saari and if not, are vacant shells. They possess super-strength, flight, speed and can fire powerful energy blasts from their "eye"…I'd say that roughly 5 would be a match for someone as strong as Relik. And this epic will have an army of them…so the HA are really up against it :P
I'm just sketching the ships and mothership, hopefully that won't take too long.

darkace
darkace
Posted at

@Ironhand–Awesome alien designs! Are there any more openings for artists to draw pages for this chapter?  I love drawing aliens…my series here on the Duck, ViXXXen Force is actually centered on fighting evil aliens and an impending alien invasion.

darkace
darkace
Posted at

@Abt_Nihil–Thanks!!  I can't wait! I look forward to working with everyone!

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

They're both human sized, yep. Although I'd say the drones are probably slightly taller than most humans.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Ironhand, you mentioned in another thread that this story will be a good introduction point for new HA members because the call for help is going out wide due to the scale of the problem. 
Did you also want supporting characters to get in on the action? I imagine everyone and their dog will be chipping in on this one, including many villains.
The timeline of Chaos's title will start off a bit behind HA (Issues #1 and #2 of Chaos will probably take place shortly after HU: Darkness Within and HA#1&2) but I have a good idea of who the future supporting cast will be, if you want a small army of supers in this thing. I can even make some of the non-plot-critical ones expendable if you want some fatalities. 

ironhand
ironhand
Posted at

If there's space for the supporting characters to go - then sure, I'll take them on board. I imagine when it comes to scripting I'll set up a rolecall where everyone can send their characters in, and I'll try my absolute best to fit as many as I can in. Of course, the core team (and RISE) will be what I'll try to focus on most - so some may get less of a spotlight. It's all stuff I can think on when it comes around to scripting.
But it's the finale and a huge alien attack, so yes, the more the merrier.

Abt_Nihil
Abt_Nihil
Posted at

I agree with ironhand. Newly appearing characters would be nice to have, but they generally won't be able to get as much space as characters who previously appeared. So I think the best way for them to appear would be to think of a single moment that would be characteristic and memorable. What would they do during an alien invasion, how would they fight the aliens off?

I think the season finale should have all characters from season 1 reappear, as far as possible, and tie up some loose ends. That will already be quite the challenge, writing-wise.

In fact, I think the best way to go about this and keep track - and have lots of fun along the way - is to think about how the characters' own titles would tie into the invasion storyline… Maybe create "AN INVASION TIE-IN!" mock covers for each character.

irrevenant
irrevenant
Posted at

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was envisioning - just momentary shots to sell the scale of the fighting.

I actually intend to do an issue of the Chaos title tying into the alien invasion but that necessitates catching up.  Which necessitates actually starting the comic. >_>

Advertise with us

Moonlight meanderer

DDComics is community owned.

The following patrons help keep the lights on. You can support DDComics on Patreon.